Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

I haven't read the South Beach book, so I don't know what "glycemic
    value" refers to. http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm lists the
    glycemic indices and glycemic loads for carrots from four different
    studies, and the glycemic indices (how fast your blood sugar rises
    after you eat them) are all over the place, but the glycemic loads
    (the product of glycemic index and "available carbohydrates", which
    is total carbs less fiber, i.e., the amount of carbs your system
    actually absorbs) are all low. I take this to mean that carrots
    contain a lot of fiber and a small amount of sugars or things that
    your body converts to sugars. Perhaps if your sense of being satiated
    depends on getting a lot of carbs, then carrots won't fill you, but
    if it depends only on getting something in your stomach, they will.
  2. AzureDreamer

AzureDreamer New Member

Yeah... exactly so. It doesn't matter if carrots will -sustain- me... they just don't -satisfy- me!
  3. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, fat is what makes one feel full.
  4. skwiggy

For me, something like carrots help with all those other reasons why I eat, other than to feel full.

I eat because I'm hungry. I eat for fuel/energy. I eat because it tastes good. I eat from anxiety. I eat because I'm bored.

I'm trying to stay away from the last 3, and *especially* the last 2. Reframing my view of food, and trying to change my disfunctional relationship with it.
  5. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Eat nuts. Filling, good fat.
  6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I'm hooked onto peanuts.
  7. mamboqueen

I almost started a thread on this the other day and then I realized a thread about nuts probably *is* nuts.

Here's my pecking order in a can of mixed nuts (lightly salted):

Pecans
    Almonds
    Cashews
    Peanuts (when desparate)
    Brazil Nuts (when dying)
  8. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Will try that - thanks!
  9. alemana

alemana New Member

i can't do that because i can't moderate serving size. next thing i know, it's 300 calories later. (a mere ounce of pecans is 200 calories. guess how many nuts that is! and i'm trying to lose weight, after all.)

god i'm hungry. day 4 of the cleanse, going strong!
  10. mamboqueen

I know....you can't eat just one. In fact, if you hide them in a little chocolate, it'll fill you faster *LOL* Gotta angle the chocolate in there.....

Speaking of which...ever have Harry & David's moosemunch? Chocolate covered caramel popcorn (with regular interspersed). OMG! I buy a bag at Marshall's and eat all the chocolate covered ones in like 30 minutes time and even thought it makes me feel sick, I keep stuffing it down the trap.
  11. alemana

alemana New Member

ieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  12. skwiggy

I have the exact same problem with nuts.

Sometimes when I'm not feeling full after dinner, and I've already tried filling up on fruit, a spoonful of peanut butter helps. Although that's also TONS of calories, so I try not to do that very often. But I buy the natural organic kind, so hopefully it's not quite as bad as the processed stuff.
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

definately illegal mention of chocolate there MQ...way out of order....you are on thread probation
  14. skwiggy

Yes, let's keep the "c" word out of this thread please. ;)
  15. mamboqueen

Okay; so....went down a dangerous path. Marshalls is right *in* my building. Went and got a bag of Moose Munch and then saw an absolutely stunning Dooney & Bourke bag (and let me say, I'm not one of those hung up on the names...I saw the bag 15 yards away and had no idea who made it). Anyway, $70 later....plus another $70 on clothes....was an expensive trip for Moose Munch.

BUT, take a guess what color my new pocketbook is!??!!
  16. africana

africana New Member

wow you guys are hardcore
  17. mamboqueen

as in a pathetic kind of way?? :)
  18. africana

africana New Member

oh not at all, I meant the diet part at least, giving up chocolate. hardcore i tell ya heh

btw i'm in PAIN today from a total of 2.5 hours of yoga yesterday (in addition to abs session + jazz class + running + dancing). not my usual schedule but i' trying to get back in the game (as if i ever were in it) without starving at all of course
  19. alemana

alemana New Member

two and a half hours of yoga is definitely hardcore, yo! my interest flags at about the 60 minute mark, which is too bad because most useful yoga classes are at least 1:15 or 1:30.
  20. skwiggy

Hard core seems to be the only thing that works for me. And the older I get, the more hard core I need to get to make a difference. Ah well, you know what they say... anything worth having is worth working for.