Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Carrots in the sense of needing something to keep my jaw busy (out of frustration) and somehow the baby carrots tastes good for the first 10 or so that you eat and then i am sick of it. Stop eating at that point. I probably don't get my full serving of veggies and fruities in every day that i should.
    I can probably "eat" air at that stage, cause i am not paying attention at what i eat at that stage, it is chewing but still working, not tasting any carrot.
    In any case, better than chocolate (the other food group).
  2. alemana

alemana New Member

protein shake. i feel so much better. ahhhhhhhhhhhh.
  3. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

So part of my big lifestyle change was adding morning workouts. I'm NOT a morning person, so this has been a very difficult adjustment for me. But there just never seemed to be any other time to do it.

Now in the mornings, I'm way more energized than ever before. But come mid-day, I totally crash. It's painful just staying awake. And I stay that way for the rest of the afternoon and evening.

Does anyone who works out in the morning have this problem? Does anyone have any tips on how to get past this?
  4. africana

africana New Member

it was actually 2 classes. the morning class was 1hr, the night class was 1.5 hrs consisting of a solid hour of varied sun salutations GAWD! my biceps!!
  5. alemana

alemana New Member

6. africana

africana New Member

hahaa no really my arms are in pain, and now i'm off to a pilates class :p

might do the running class afterwards (they teach some handy running technique )
  7. alemana

alemana New Member

RUNNING CLASS?

i love this country. i think i might sign up for an eating class. oh wait, i could teach that.
  8. africana

africana New Member

yesss lol it's actually quite helpful :) I'm learning to cut some bad habits that make my running more difficult or make me more prone to injury, also learn some stuff to increase endurance. it's also a stretch class, bascially learning stretches to prevent injury...good fo my knees ;)
  9. icering

icering New Member

^^^ oh yeah running is a sport too, just like basketball and soccer...there are running camps out there
  10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Not too brag but quite a few experienced runners/coaches expressed that I had pretty good form... ;-)

And cl5814 I also had that problem of feeling exhausted with morning workouts. I learnt to keep my most important tough stuff early, then would do other work which involved lost of breaks..little concentration in the afternoon. Also took to having a 20 minute laydown right after lunch. That worked wonders.
  11. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Power nap?
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I'm a cashew-holic. :D
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It's called sleep. If you get up at 6am to work out, you can't go to bed at midnight every day. Depending on how much sleep you need, getting that amount regularly is key. If you normally need 8 hours, getting only 6 or 7 for several days will cause you to crash. Also, it takes a bit of time for your body to get used to a new schedule.
  14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Love those too. ;-)
  15. skwiggy

I love power naps, and I take them whenever I have the opportunity. They work wonders. Even just 5-10 minutes on the subway makes a huge difference in my day. Unfortunately, I don't always have the opportunity.
  16. skwiggy

I don't go to bed at midnight anymore. I have been going to bed much earlier than ever in my life. I used to go to bed between 12 and 1 regularly, and now I'm going to bed between 10:30 and 11. And getting up at 6am would be a luxury these days.
  17. skwiggy

I tried Yoga for the first time this morning. I loved it. It was definitely difficult, but not as good of a strength workout as I've heard. Perhaps the class was just very basic. But it was a FANTASTIC stretch. I haven't ever gotten such a good stretch. And in muscles I had forgotten I had. And since I've been suffering from lower back pain and sciatica, my flexibility has been drastically compromised. I could use all the help I can get.
  18. alemana

alemana New Member

congratulations! i'm so glad you liked it! i'm a latecomer to yoga myself, having viciously resisted my whole life, but those days are over. i wish i could do it every morning.... but $$$
  19. skwiggy

My gym has yoga, so fortunately there's no extra cost. But the schedule is a little funny, so I think 6am on Fridays is the only option I can make regularly.

They also have a class called "yogalates". I imagine it's some hybrid of yoga and pilates. Has anyone ever tried anything like this? Thoughts?
  20. alemana

alemana New Member

wow. i bow to your early-morning workout powers.

i might try AM yoga next week. i've gotten to the point where i sometimes see my trainer at 7 AM (but my chinups *will* stink at that hour) and can do my daily cardio at that time, but haven't tried the yoga yet.