Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

No special powers. It goes against every fiber of my being. But the excuse I've been using for years of "I don't have time to go to the gym" got old. I didn't think it was possible for me to do it. But I was inspired by my boyfriend's sister who has been going in the AM for years. Now we go together 2-3 times/week, and having someone to go with helps A LOT. I still go 1-3 times/week on my own though. Also, 2 of those days we have a trainer at 6am. When it's scheduled and you're paying for it, there's much more incentive to drag one's a** out of bed. ;)

2. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Well, it just may be that am workouts aren't for you.

I tried early morning workouts it for a couple of weeks last fall. Monday, Tuesday, and sometimes Wednesday would be fine. But by Thursday and Friday I was falling asleep for the night at 6 or 7 pm - which really was just not going to do at all - I have things to do in the evening!

And it wasn't really an amount of sleep issue - I was making sure to go to bed early and get a decent night in every night. My body just wasn't into that schedule. I find that working out late afternoon/early evening is best for me in terms of energy - it actually perks me up for some evening activity like studying or hanging out with friends before bed.

I don't know what your work schedule is like, but is it possible to try working out at a time other than the AM? Maybe get there an hour earlier and take a long lunch to hit the gym, or leave an hour early to work out on the way home?

If you try an AM workout schedule and after a couple of weeks your body still hasn't adjusted, you may need to just try something else. Not all of us are built for morning exertion! :)

3. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

If I *have* to be at the gym in the morning, yoga is my favorite thing to be doing - it's a fantastic way to start your day! In fact, yoga may be the *only* thing I enjoy more in the morning than at other times!

4. skwiggy

I know I'm not built for AM workouts. But my schedule really doesn't seem to allow for any other time of day. It seems to be the time of day that I can do most consistently. So it's been about a month. I'm going to keep plugging away and hope it gets better.

5. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Good luck! You've got more willpower than I.

Also, remember that you don't have to spend a lot of time at the gym to get a good workout - no need to do every exercise every day. By doing a little cardio every day and rotating strength training, you can get in good shape in about 30-45 min/day.

6. alemana

alemana New Member

i'm definitely built for highest energy peaks at around 8 or 9 PM. i'm a DEMON at the gym at that hour - i'm unstoppable.

but i want to believe i can mess with that some, and certainly i've become more able to get up earlier as i get older.

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Energy peak? What's that? :wink:

Edit: Just kidding. I work out best when I get to the gym in the morning. :cool:

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I don't know about "best," but it's certainly the most convenient time, schedule-wise.

9. pygmalion

My schedule's so crazy that there's really no good time. lol. But I find that working out early in the morning gives me an energy burst that lasts all day. If I wait until the afternoon, I may be drained from work and stuff. Or (and this happens most often) something pops up that prevents me from going to the gym in the first place. :?

10. africana

africana New Member

off to a hike. let's see how it turns out 8)

11. skwiggy

This week got started a little slow with the exercising, since I did 2 comps this weekend and was exhausted. So no exercise on Sunday unless you count 1 comp round. Monday I wasn't able to get up early to exercise--again too tired--but I managed to squeeze in 3 miles on the treadmill before bed. Tuesday morning was strength training. Nothing this morning, but I'm hoping to squeeze in more cardio before practice.

I'm down 2 more lbs for a total of 13, and so I'm 3 lbs away from my next mini-goal.

Sometimes I feel like no matter how much weight I lose, I'll always be a "big girl". Does anyone else ever feel that way?

12. skwiggy

How was the hike last week?

13. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I was taking a Pilates class at 5:30 in the morning once a week. That seems to have fallen by the wayside for various reasons--I'm wondering if I used a video/DVD which would be better-- Pilates or Yoga? I could get up early a couple of mornings a week, or do it in the evening before going to bed. Mainly looking for flexibility/core strength. I also do ballet and belly dancing along with ballroom.
    Thanks for any input!

14. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

I have to be cheered on by my co-"working out" crowd. how do you feel ? Do you like exercising by yourself ? Would you really stick to that schedule ?
    video/dvd could really work, if you would do it by yourself. (Not saying you can't, it is just a no-no for me.) I find the yoga in the evenings very relaxing, as in ready to go to bed after that. Pilates not as much, but still relaxing in a sense.

15. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I enjoy being in a group, also, but I am motivated enough to do it by myself. I did aerobics with Richard Simmons videos for several years before I started dancing. I am still exploring the possibility of classes at the Y--the Pilates seems to not be working out, but I think there are yoga classes also. And I know some yoga instructors, so maybe they'll be able to tell me about classes. I am really not a morning person, but I was motivated enough to get up at 4:45 once a week to go to the class, and actually ended up being the only one there at the end. Then the teacher got sick so the class ended, basically. Early morning actually works out well for me, because I work 8-5, and evenings I usually have a dance lesson or walk/work out with my husband. Do you have any input into whether yoga or Pilates would be better?

16. skwiggy

I skipped the cardio today and went to a "Power Yoga" class instead. My bad back and sciatica are loving it. I'm feeling some of the flexibility that I've lost with the sciatica magically coming back. I definitely need more yoga in my life. :)

17. africana

africana New Member

it was very good!! i haven't been in a year so it was tough doing the steep extended portions, but most of the trails were shaded :) hoping to do more soon because the weather has been excellent lately!

18. pygmalion

Wow! You haven't been hiking in a year? Not sure why I thought you were a regular hiker. I know you run, right? Hmm. Not sure how I made that leap. :?

19. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Not sure what your goal is with workout - yoga/pilates. You'll end up piciking the one with the best instructor for you. If more stretching/flexibility is important, some strength as well, then yoga is the way to go. Many styles to try out. I did second Bikram yoga yesterday and burned more than 400 Calories in 1h10min i used my heart rate monitor. The more regular yoga is also an option - iyengar/hatha/power yoga. Good way to loose weight if you stay in 50-60% of your max heart rate. Burn fat.
    Pilates could be of more value for your dancing, depending on your style of dancing. Definitely harder work.

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I dont just feel that way...I know it, but hey big is more noticable on the floor...;)