Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Thanks for your help! I don't think I can do the Bikram yoga-isn't that the one with the intense heat?

I think I'm looking more for the core strength/flexibility. I also do ballet and belly dancing--since I can't afford to do as many private lessons as I'd like, and don't participate as much in the group classes as I used to, I'm trying to supplement with other things. I don't really need to lose weight, but need to tone/tighten. I did get a Pilates video--it's a little advanced for me, but I think I can work with it. It has 5 10-minute workouts for abs, flexibility, etc. I also have a yoga video that my daughter bought a few years ago, so I may work with that, too. Lots of options! I just want to make the best use of my time/money.
  2. alemana

alemana New Member

i'm down a couple pounds thanks to the Fat Flush diet plan... we're on week 3 of the detox.

fun. not.
  3. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I'm actually *up* a couple of pounds this past week, and I can't figure out why. At first I thought it was an uncharacteristically salty dinner I had on Saturday night, but whatever water weight I would have gained from that should be gone by now. I have been dieting and exercising the same as in the past few previous weeks when I was dropping weight pretty fast (for me). If anything, I have actually been exercising more. So frustrating...
  4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Well, it could be that you're gaining muscle. How are your clothes fitting? Also -- I was about 3 lbs. heavier last week due to the time of the month *ahem*. I'm actually having difficulty (don't shoot me) maintaining 135; I keep dropping down. I'm not trying. The empty bag of Doritos will be testament to that!
  5. skwiggy

I have considered the possibility that it may be muscle. I know I have gained a lot of muscle in the last month or so. But even so, I was still losing lbs before. My clothes fit much looser than they did last month (went down about 1 dress size), but not much different than they did a week ago (before I went back up 3 lbs). It's not *ahem* any particular time of the month, or else of course I would just write it off.

Oh how I wish Doritos were the answer to my problem as well. :p
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

ignore it skwiggy...if you are on a downward trend it will go back away
  7. skwiggy

Right. "Don't think about the pink elephant. Don't think about the pink elephant". Haha, I'll try. :)
  8. fascination

if you think about it you'll get depressed , binge and become the pink elephant....reflect on your progress....
  9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Did I tell you that, when I went from sedentary to working out regularly, I gained eight pounds in a month? Eight. :shock: I was horrified. But I was also a dress size thinner.

Just figured I'd mention that. :wink: :friend:
  10. Laura

Laura New Member

Threads like this usually make me all obsessive and upset, so I've been avoiding it since its inception. However, I caught myself feeling kind of sexy yesterday running errands in my currently favorite pair of jeans, so I figured what the heck I'd jump in for a while and see how I fared.

As for monthly hormonal cycling, I usually gain and then lose 3-5 pounds...but this month it was eight. Oy.

An interesting thing happened to me today. I hardly ate anything because I was busy and didn't have much of an appetite. Then I went to my 90-minute dance lesson, which is a 90-minute round-trip drive from my house. When I got home I was so tired, and I kept getting more and more tired. And cold. So I climbed into bed with one of my cats and thought about taking a nap since my shoulder hurt. Then I remembered I hadn't eaten in six hours. So I had some chicken and red peppers (I'm not on any particular diet, but started low-carbing the day before yesterday). Within half an hour I felt so much better, more awake, and not cold any more.

Now, I've always known that you have to eat enough to keep your metabolism going, especially on a diet with anorectic side effects like low carb, but this is the first time it was so clear to me exactly what that meant.

I'm still not hungry but I'm going to go eat something small anyway because if I don't do it now, I'll be eating at midnight. A friend of mine lost a ton of weight with help from a nutritionist. The first thing she told him was to start eating six times a day, whether he was hungry or not. It didn't have to be much -- half an apple, a few bites of chicken, a real meal, whatever -- but he had to put something into his system. He said it was really difficult for him to get into that habit, both in terms of preparation and in terms of getting past the "the less I eat the better" mentality that sometimes crops up when dieting. I think I should try this myself.
  11. pygmalion

Yep. Usually about four or five pounds for me, as well, although I've noticed bigger weight shifts as I've gotten older.

And yeah. I thought about you, when I saw this thread. I know the topic creates a lot of stress for you. Thanks for contributing.

btw. Did I mention that you're one beautiful woman? Just gorgeous. Inside AND out. Remember that. :friend: :)

Oh yeah, and the other thing about weight loss? Remember to weigh in in the same or similar clothes. A Weight Watchers girlfriend of mine was absolutely devastated one week, because she'd gained three pounds. And then she lost it. Then she gained it. Turns out she was heavy on the weeks she wore jeans and light when she wore lighter-weight clothing. :lol: Whatever you do, make sure you're consistent. I don't weigh myself often, to be honest, since I've stopped caring about pounds -- just health and appearance. But, when I do, it's always the same. First thing in the morning, nude, right after my shower. So I know I'm comparing apples to apples. :cool:
  12. Laura

Laura New Member

Heh, I know this is obsessive, but I weigh myself in the morning, naked, after I've answered the call of nature. I've been trying for years to hide the scale, throw it out, only weigh once a week, only weigh every other day, all sorts of things. I guess there's a positive side-effect: I've gotten very good at estimating how much water eating different things will make me retain, and how much some of my favorite articles of clothing weigh.

Thank you for your warm and glowing words. I'd blush but I'm in a good mood so I'll just take it in :)
  13. Whirling Dervish

Whirling Dervish New Member

I have to contribute to this thread because I have some experience with it--have you guys had your thyroid levels checked? I know it sounds sort of inane, but I had a problem until I went on thyroid replacement. I still have to watch the scales, but it's not as bad.

There are all sorts of symptoms with low thyroid, so if you haven't had it checked please do. It's a silent killer and the cure is so ever-lovin' simple. Send me a PM if you want to know more, but if you google it you'll find a lot of info.
  14. Laura

Laura New Member

I've been on thyroid meds for several years now. It didn't help me lose weight, but it did stop me from being freezing cold all the time, even in the summer, unless I was in direct sunlight. Oh, and then there was the thing about my hair falling out...the thyroid meds stopped that, too.
  15. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

I lose my appetite during certain times of the month and I really have to make sure I eat or this happens, which is followed by pre-curser to migraine which is followed by full out migraine if I don't eat/take aspirin.

It used to happen every month when I was younger, you would think I would have learned. Nowadays less often - I eat better and I know the signs.

I am still making progress with the "one pound a week" goal. I can really feel it in my clothes. I need new pants and my arms are starting to slim down. Yay! I'm lighter than I've been in at least 6 years. I am getting really good at ignoring the candy/donut/cookies/chips aisles in grocery stores.
    I have a banquet coming up this weekend that will test my resolve. I'm thinking miniscule bites of everything :p

I can't wait until I can get back into some of the fance dresses that have sitting in my closet...
  16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I dunno...that mentality has been working for me.
  17. pygmalion

It has worked for me, in the past, too. But only for diet "sprints" if you will. Over the long term, my body tends to go into starvation mode -- my metabolism slows down and my body starts conserving fat because it thinks I'm starving. So the less I eat, the fatter I stay. :?

I'm a big fan of multiple small meals throughout the day.
  18. skwiggy

No worries about me losing resolve. I may be frustrated, but I'm stubborn as a mule. My mind is made up about this, so no matter how long it takes, nothing is going to stop me.

I also do better with small meals or snacks throughout the day, especially if I keep the snacks to things like fruit, veggies and yogurt. I also have a very slow metabolism, and I firmly believe that I need to keep eating in order to keep my metabolism awake. I also don't want to starve or deprive myself. I feel like if I'm miserable with the way I'm eating, then I won't be able to keep it up and maintain whatever weight loss I achieve in the long run.

I know that the scale does not tell all. I know that muscle weighs more than fat. And yes, I am much more concerned with how I look and feel than how much gravity is holding me to the earth. But I do use it as a benchmark to check my progress. It's really easy to get all wrapped around that little number and drive myself crazy. I need to stop that. And yes, I always weigh myself stark naked first thing in the morning, going for apples to apples.

I've also taken to trying on a pair of pants that I've been trying to fit into as a means to check progress. I know that's a more realistic measure anyway.

But for all of my griping over 3 lbs, I am seeing immeasurable benefits from my new lifestyle. My back problems are 500% improved, my stamina is much higher when I dance, and I sleep better at night. So I'll just keep repeating that stuff to myself when the scale makes me want to cry.

By the way, I was down 1 of those 3 lbs this morning. Yay! :)
  19. fascination

good for you
  20. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

The scale in our home is in the kitchen. Unfortunately I usually remember to measure myself after having eaten lunch, which is not at all accurate but I estimate about 1kg below that is my actual weight.

T_E