fake tan and make up again

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kitty, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Kitty

Kitty New Member

so here is aquestion that has been bothering me for a while:

the ladies who do spray tan for comps - how do you select your make up shade?

when I go to a store and start looking for my shade of make up I remember that my skin tone will be different after spray tan or tanning bed or whichever way i tan a day or two before the comp...

so how do you pick make up in advance? or do you have to go to a store after you have tanned?
  2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

well, a lot of people don't put comp tan on their face but use makup to match the tone of the rest of their body.

but I have tough time with makup as well so can't really help...
  3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

how do they know what color their body will be?

or do they go to the store after they tan?

I didn't realize that people don't fake-tan their face.
  4. Katarzyna

don't know how they pick, I am so bad with mine. But most people indeed don't fake tan their faces. Faces are the easiest to darken with makup or bronzer
  5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

funny, I thought that's the first part of me I need to fake-tan.
  6. Katarzyna

I think with things like mystic tan you tan everything, but most comp specific tans ask to not be used on the face :)
  7. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

I definitely put comp tan on my face. When you dance intensively, and with the heat of the ballroom, your makeup may (will) run, no matter the brand. Even if it doesn't, I don't want one extra thing to worry about. This may be less important for ladies who do Standard only, as they can get by with a lighter tanned look, so makeup may be enough (provided it matches whatever exposed skin they have, e.g. on their backs or arms). I still think applying the same tanning product to your face as you do to the rest of your body is the better idea. But it's a matter of personal choice.
    Some tanning products (the liquid ones, especially pro tan comp color) do have a drying effect on the skin. I think of that as an acceptable price, if that is the product I want to use. I actually apply these on slightly moisturized skin. You don't want your skin to be too moisturized, or the tanning liquid won't "take", or won't stick to your skin.
    If you are using slow-acting tanning products, most of them come as a lotion, and don't dry the skin at all, in my experiece (and I have very dry skin by nature). Of course, your mileage may vary.
    I find the best way is to tan my face as I tan my body. I apply the lotion type 2 - 3 times before the comp, at 6-8 hours intervals. My skin is very difficult to tan. Most people will find that one or two applications are enough.
    I do this starting about 36 hours before the comp. The day of the comp, I apply a layer of the instant color (pro-tan), smoothly, on my body and face. This gives a deep color overall. For lesser color, skip one or more steps.
    Try to test this whole process at least once, may be a month or two before the comp, so you know how you will manage it and there won't be any disasters on the day of the comp. You don't need any extra stress that day.

To answer your original questions: I do chose comp makeup colors that are completely different from what I normally wear. Again, I test these (many times actually, it's one of my favorite pastimes, when I want to escape the stress of work when I am working from home - but I digress). I suggest you apply your favorite tanning method to the inside of your arm, go to the place where you buy your makeup, and test your colors there. I actually recommend a drugstore. You really don't need to spend a fortune on comp makeup. But if Guerlain is your cup of tea, knock yourself out :) You can try department stores makeup counters just because they allow you to test so many colors on your skin, under good lights. Once you have an idea what colors are more suitable (for foundation, concealer, powder, eyeshadow, lipstick, etc), you can then go and buy similar shades from whatever brand you like.
    You can test the products on that tanned patch of skin. If you actually have the time and don't mind the tanned look as you go about your normal business, tan your entire face and actually test the products on your face, if you can, before you buy.

There's lots more tips and tricks to this whole business of comp preparation. But this should get you started.
  8. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I'm no expert. But for competition I use a foundation that is WAY too dark for my own skin. The color is called 'Dark Honey'. Depending on how much I tan for the comp (if at all), I'll just use more or less of the foundation. If I put on a very thin layer, it's not very dark at all. So I just start with a really thin layer, and then add to it until it matches the rest of me. I make sure to blend it into my neck. It seems to work well.
  9. Katarzyna

I see a lot of people using dermablend on their face
  10. Kitty

Kitty New Member

skwiggy, what brand do you use?
  11. Kitty

Kitty New Member

where is it sold?
  12. Katarzyna

there is a stand at MAcys... It's like 30 for the makup and 20 for the setting powder.
  13. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Whatever I happen to find at CVS. Currently, Oil of Olay.
  14. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Dermablend is very intense. It is used to cover birth marks, surgical scars, and the like. Men tend to use it more than women in dancesport. You will need a very, very, very light touch with it. This is one product where I strongly suggest you test first before the day of the comp.
    MAC is an excellent line for dancing, because it has intense pigments, so it holds the color well and doesn't wash out from a distance or under the lights. It is also formulated with models/performance artists in mind. So it's kind of dramatic.
    You really need to think theatrical makeup. So once we get into that frame of mind (i.e. the serious search for comp makeup, and not the usual trip to the department store or drugstore), I couldn't recommend Ben Nye strongly enough. It is absolutely the best (IMHO) for comp and theatrical wear. There is almost an unlimited choice of colors and formulas, mostly designed for performance artists. And it is priced extremely reasonably.
    The fact is, the ingredients of a makeup product are the least costly part of the product. The rest is marketing, packaging, sales overhead and commissions to various distribution stations along the way, and status (brand name) markup.
    Ben Nye cuts through all that. It is sold mostly online. It practically never advertizes. It doesn't need to, because it has a niche customer base which already knows about it (it is used in just about every university and college theater department). But if you live in NYC, you can get to test in person at a couple of stores (Rikky's and some theatrical supplies places).
  15. redhead

redhead New Member

MAC foundation gives me breakouts (which is really weird 'cause I have extremely dry skin), so when I needed something quickly I just went to Target and bought Covergirl outlast in classic tan. Add bronzer - and it works really well (I do tan my face though)
  16. Katarzyna

I put it on couple of times.. It is not the easiest product to apply
  17. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

What I plan on doing is going and getting mystic tan to about the level that I think I would do for a competition, then I will meet with a Mary Kay lady who know something about more elaborate makeup and such and we will do an individual session to set my "look", including picking out correct colors and such.
  18. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I never tan my face. I always use bronzer, whatever I happen to have (I've had this Wet n' Wild Bronzer Compact for years now and it cost me 2 bucks). I find that the make-up running slightly from sweat is a lot better than coming to work at my law firm with an orange ballroom face (not to mention clogged pores, etc.). What I do with my body can't be seen but there ain't no hiding my face from the non-dancing world. Besides, being a standard dancer, I don't do much tanning anyway. I might have to reconsider this strategy with my new melon/orange dress but so far so good...
  19. Katarzyna

Is Mary Kay good enought for comp Makup?
  20. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I've used the Cover Girl pressed makeup in Suntan. OMG, on my untanned (very white) skin I look like a complete freakshow, but with 3+ coats of Neutrogena Dark Spray tan it's a perfect match on me. It's only about $3.

Some people swear by liquid makeup for comps but I feel like it keeps all the heat in and makes my face sweat too much.