fake tan and make up again

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kitty, Dec 28, 2005.

1. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

Depends on the comp. the comps I dance at don't have the hot lights.
    There are things you can do to make your makeup stay on a lot longer...a mary kay lady did my makeup for my wedding and it looked the same in the morning at 8 as it did at midnight.

Maybe someday I'll need to upgrade to something totally immovable, but I have pretty sensitive skin and I worry about what would happen if I use something my face isn't used to.

One way or the other I'll find out what colors I need, which is really the goal. And I'll have expert help picking it out.
  2. LXC

LXC New Member

Could you give the address of Rikky's and any other local store selling these products? Either in NY or NJ. I will for sure check it out when I visit the area. Thanks.
  3. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

There is one on 5th and 35 (or 2 blocks up or down)..

There is one on 8th between bway and washington square park east.

They are may of them in the city..
  4. diputs

diputs New Member

It's Ricky's, if you are trying to google it.

rickysnyc.com/
  5. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

Has anyone tried the fake tanners that come with removers? Chrisanne and Dancelife sell their own versions. It sounds like a great idea, but it looks expensive and I wonder if it really works.
  6. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Yeah, that's one of the neatest tricks for a quick tan. The Wet 'n Wild Bronzer is great, applied WET. Just moisten the applicator sponge that comes with the product, and apply. It works on the face, the neck, the arms, the back, you name it. Goes on quick, washes out and, in my experience, never runs even when you sweat. When it dries on the face, it's never caky. The color is a perfect dark tan when applied wet (there are two shades, one slightly darker and warmer than the other). And there is a touch of very light shimmer in it so it doesn't look muddy, either. And, unlike the liquid tan products which you apply on the day of the event, it doesn't streak or spot if some water gets on it. It lasts all day when applied correctly. If you happen to rub it off for some reason (if you blow your nose :)), just reapply. It blends in, again unlike liquid tans.
    But be careful. Other brands either have a lot less pigment in them, or too much shimmer. I haven't had that same result with any other brand, actually, regardless of cost.
  7. chandra

chandra New Member

Have you guys ever tried arbonne makeup?

I just got some foundation, and LOVE it.
  8. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Well, I just won the Chrisanne set in during the silent auction so I can give it a try in couple weeks. I can share the results if anyone will be interested. I thought the auction was a great opportunity to test it out... Plus I think I will start doing more fake tan since I think my skin is getting dry and don't want to make it worse with solarium
  9. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

Actually.... while some people may not fake tan their faces, most people who fake tan for comps do use it on their faces as well. Until you said that, I didn't realize that some people actually didn't use it on their faces. I've always been told by coaches from day one that it should be used on all showing skin, including the face. I really tried to avoid it at all costs in the beginning, but now I definately get the most compliments on my appearance when I use the tanner on my face too.

Also, someone mentioned something about using protan the day of.... how do you manage to not stain your dresses with it? doesn't it get messy to leave it on like that?? I've always done 3 coats within the 4 previous nights and that seems to work well. I've never tried doing it the day of before...
  10. chica latina

chica latina New Member

I usually tan 2 weeks before a comp and use pro-tan (3 coats) the night before and apply a shimmering bronzer by MAC on the day of the comp. This usually turns out pretty good, but now I have a 3 day comp and not sure what to do. I haven't tan at all, since I just got back from my vacation and not sure if want to use pro Tan. It usually leaves stains on my skin for a few days and am afraid it will start to happen before the event is over. Wet'n Wild Bronzer? Where can I buy that?
  11. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

Try using the Pro-tan to touch up the areas that need it before you go to bed the night before each day of the comp. I've done that before when I needed to maintain the tan for more than just one day and it works for me.
  12. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I bought mine at CVS but any drugstore should have it... Sometimes I cannot believe how good it is considering the price!
  13. sunderi

sunderi New Member

After the first time I did Mystic Tan, I went foundation shopping. So I purchased a shade of makeup to match the actual color I was the day before a comp. Now I just use that color as my dance foundation, even if the depth of the tan isn't exactly the same every time (close enough).

I use Elizabeth Arden foundation -- they actually do a color-match thing to exactly match your skin tone. (It's the same machine they use to match paint at Home Depot, just a lot smaller.)
  14. alemana

alemana New Member

i love it when an inexpensive brand produces an outstanding product. i've told the story before about the pro makeup i had done at a comp where the lady laid out all her tools and makeup - mostly MAC - and i spent the 30 minutes or so she was doing my face admiring it and wishing i owned it all. when it came time for lipstick, every color was Cover Girl, the outlast line - no more pricey MAC. she said, honey, i've tried everything, and the CG beat everyone else hands-down. as a bonus, it's about a third of the price.

as for tanning - i would never attempt to tan just my body, not my face. the colors would never match, and since i dance the Slutty Dances <tm> (what I call latin and rhythm when describing them to my nondancing friends) i have a lot of skin showing eveywhere. to be two-toned just wouldn't work.
  15. Alskling

Alskling Member

I've been using a Neutrogena self-tanner for a while now, and they have a tanning cream that is just for faces. It works pretty well for me, and doesn't seem to dry out my face as much as the stuff meant for the body.
  16. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

I saw in a magazine that the Jergens tinted moisturizer was a big seller for 2005--a miracle cream they called it.
  17. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Coppertone also makes a tinted moisturizer but hasn't gotten the press Jergens has. IMO, It's better than Jergens. It looks really natural, doesn't stink like tanner and it comes in a bigger container than Jergens for roughly the same price. I love it!
  18. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

Good to know, I didnt like the smell of Jergens
  19. Klaudia

Klaudia New Member

I have the Jergens...I use it for the every day natural kind of look and it works great for that... as for using it for competitions, I don't think you will ever achieve the dark tan that comes from the pro-tan and other tanners designed for stage and dance.
  20. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

I only tan my body (either tanning beds or tanning lotions; usually a combination of both), but I don't tan my face.
    I went to the Bobbi Brown counter one time this summer AFTER I tanned, and asked the lady to match a foundation for me. It works out really nice.

Kitty, I don't know if you can still recall my skin color after tanning for that comp this summer, but if you can, Bobbi Brown liquid foundation #5 matches the shade perfectly. A 4 is probably about a light tan, #4.5 and #5 are more for a darker tan (what I like, but not quite as dark as the latin dancers), #5.5 or #6 has been too dark for me.

My friend who competes in latin usually gets two bottles of foundations (one lighter and one darker), so that she can mix the two and play with them until she match her face color with the rest of her boday.