fake tan and make up again

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kitty, Dec 28, 2005.

1. alemana

alemana New Member

i found the wet n wild bronzer today. dry, it looked great on my face - was as happy with it for everyday use as the MAC bronzer i swear by. not sure about durability - i'll report back after more exhaustive tests.

i'll give it a go on the dancefloor sometime between now and Northeastern at the end of january. thanks for the tip!

2. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Never ever ever used fake tan before, and I don't think I'll have to pretty soon either. But academic curiosity forces me to ask: how do you apply the stuff to blind areas like the back, the neck and the back of your thighs?

Twilight Elena

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i only tan in the beds...I hate to get that stuff on my $$$$$dresses and then I use lessmakeup...but I tan quickly and easily

4. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

Well, help from someone for the back, and lots of bending, flexibility, and mirrors for the backs of the thighs.... it's not easy, but the difference in appearance on the floor makes it worth it.

5. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

will not go on a tanning bed ....i'm sure they're as bad as the evil sun itself. I started using this Coppertone double-pump stuff that is really, really good. Two coats and I look like I was on vacation. A third and I'm "latin ready". It goes on really well and fades evenly. I think it's $13.99 at CVS. I have Pro Tan and used it .... quite the color, but feels like I'm putting spray paint on my body. It's another product I fear people will pay for later....it *can't* be good for your pores to absorb that stuff...

6. alemana

alemana New Member

mq, at your leisure, could you provide a link to the double-pump product, please?

i have been a devoted salon spray-tanner but my last two have been disappointing... need to braoded my repetoire.

7. alemana

alemana New Member

and another question to the person who recommended applying WnW wet "with the applicator in the compact" - it's a regular brush. perhaps i bought the wrong thing?

8. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Here:

http://www.coppertone.com/sunless/products.aspx?prodid=2

After doing Mystic Tan about 5-6 times, I just decided it didn't work well for me. Perhaps I didn't exfoliate as much as I should have, but it just seemd blotchy to me and there were always parts of me that were ridiculously darker than other parts (even though I applied their blocker...my knees, ankles, toes, fingers looked much darker). I just couldn't get the process down enough to a workable way for me.

This stuff is great. The only minor problem I have had is that since it dries fast, you need to wash your hands, which then takes most of the stuff off the back of the hands. So, now I use make-up sponges to do the front of my hands. I also had to play around with applying it to my arms because sometimes I would forget to put it a little on the insides of my arms and you can see a slight line of "demarkation," but it's only noticeable when I turn my arms up. All in all, I like this stuff and use it not just for comps, but when I am going out somewhere wearing sleeveless top and don't want to look like my usual pale self. And as said above, it makes me look a little more toned in the arms (an excuse to skip the gym...??? naaah....)

9. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Wet 'n Wild comes with a sponge applicator. That is what I meant. It's a flat squarish sponge, and a surprisingly good size for use on the body as well as the face.

10. alemana

alemana New Member

dj - is it bronzing powder? that's what i bought, and it has a brush.

11. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Hmmm. I know they have new packaging that's been out a year or so. So may be these come with brushes. The ones I have come with a sponge. The whole thing looks like a compact (pressed powder), in a square container. I know they didn't change the overall shape and size.
    Well, if it comes with a brush now, just use a cosmetic sponge. Hope it'll work just the same. Let us know what you think, 'cause I really liked this bronzer.

12. chica latina

chica latina New Member

I go to this tanning salon where they spray tan. I give them the pro-Tan and they spray it on me with their equipment. It's so easy and fast and they don't charge me much for applying it. I usually let them apply their stuff on my face, since I have never apply pro-Tan in my face.

13. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Good point! That way you can be sure the product is applied the right way.

Twilight Elena

14. mothers love

mothers love New Member

Tanning and face makeup

I do all my daughters make up for comps, and now I'm starting to do other competitors if time is available. I found the pro tan discolors when she sweats, and god help us if she wipes her face. To us it also comes off in streaks and she looks terrible for a week. What I found to work the best so far is MAC makeup. I use both the cream and the powder in darker shades of course, plus some of there theater eye makeup which holds the color extremely well. Always use a powder base before applying the color as it will hold better.

As for pro tan that is a constant battle. I do hers with my hands, and yes I walk around with brown hands for a week. I've tried brushes, rubber gloves, you name it, and I always end up using my hands. I use a self tanning base called Fake Bake for the 1st couple of coats the day before. It takes a few hours or so for the color to stongly appear, but holds when she showers in the morning. On the day of the comp I use the protan for 2 coats at least.

If anyone has ideas on the best protan product I would love to hear it. I absolutely hate the ones that make you orange.

15. chica latina

chica latina New Member

I have gotten the darkest/best tan using 2-3 coats of pro-Tan Instant competition color mixed with some DHA powder the day before the comp. Now, even though it says Instant, I understand it should be applied the day before and not sweat for a couple of hours. I know a lot of people that do it at night, wait until dry and go to bed. Next morning, shower excess off. (Have blankets that don't mind getting ruined). The day of the comp, I just spray "Sally Hansen Bronzer for legs" or apply a MAC bronzer to give it some shine. Now, I hate how the colors fades out leaving stain marks but I noticed that they sell a ProTan color removal (have never used it).

Hope this helps.

16. alemana

alemana New Member

FOILED in my attempt last night to get my first-of-two spray-ons for the comp coming up. the tanning salon i go to is open til midnight, staffed by half-baked, unnaturally bronze teenagers, and their spray machines break down constantly. as i discovered at 11:15 last night, after having planned my whole day around making a tanning stop before heading home.

17. aww, that's too bad :(

18. alemana

alemana New Member

thinking of sneaking out now - boss and uberboss are both out of the office til after lunch :)

19. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

I keep seeing some of you saying that you use the pro-tan the day of the comp. This doesn't make much sense to me. why would you wait until then to do it. I'm assuming that you wear it out on the comp floor at that point, but wouldn't it run all over the place and get on your costumes??

If that's the case, it's probly the reason that you are having soo much trouble with it. If you apply a couple coats over the course of the few nights prior to the comp (with the last one being the night before and showered off in the morning) you can still get just as dark as you want to with no running, streaking, discoloration, or mess on your costumes.

As for how it goes on best.... I've had the best results using the sponge brush that comes with it. Just make sure to load it on and use long even strokes and it comes out great. How do you manage to use your hands for it? it's a liquid, not a lotion type, so wouldn't that just make a mess?

For the face... if you use it evenly and sparingly, it will come out looking great. (1 or 2 coats max!) When I do the last coat on my body on the night before the comp, I usually don't do my face again though, as it is usually dark enough by that point.

20. alemana

alemana New Member

has anyone done spray-tan (mystic tan et alia) twice in a short time frame (like two days apart)? results?