fake tan and make up again

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kitty, Dec 28, 2005.

1. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

I use a brand called 'celebrity tan' who make an 'extra dark' solution especially designed for Dancers and Body Builders - it comes with a warning about how dark the colour turns out! LOL - as if we dancers need that warning - the darker the better! I am in New Zealand but Im pretty sure my supplier imports it from the US so Im sure you can also purchase it there. It costs me $49 NZ Dollars for a $250ml bottle which does me at least 4 coats of tanner - which for me is two comps worth.

The bronzer I use is a brand called 'Sugar baby' and the product is called 'Bronze Radiance Cream' - not sure if it is sold overseas. But a product that I know would give the same effect is 'Sexy/Aero Tan' - comes in a silver can with a red lid and can be purchased from the 'Dance shopper' website.

Just a note of warning about the bronzer. The tan will not rub off on costumes but the bronzer may - so be careful with white costumes etc.
  2. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

see above :)
  3. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

Just also wanted to say, I do not NEED the bronzer, I go dark enough with the Celebrity tan alone, but the bronzer gives a lovely golden sheen, and is great to freshen up the look of the tan for the second day of a 2 day comp.
  4. Enjouee

Enjouee New Member

Thank you MissKitty!! :)
  5. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

hey everyone!

i was curious - what are YOUR make-up checklists that you MUST have when you go to a comp?? The brightest eyeshadows you have? Bronzer (how dark)? very red lipstick? liquid eyeliner or pencil? etc.
  6. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I go with pencil at the moment, but that's just because I need a whole lot more practice with the liquid. My plan is to build up my comp makeup skills gradually, as we work through the syllabus levels, so that I'll have a plausible open-level look by the time the dancing is also plausibly open. (I've got time...)
  7. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

I have a professional make-up artist style my hair and make-up for comps because I have fine hair but, I take her my own kit of make-up that matches my dress and my skin type. I use the holiday promos to stock up on "shiny, sparkly" stuff including my new favorite - the Glam kit at Sephora which is $40 and includes lots of travel sizes of highlighters and sparkles. Almost every make-up line has a "holiday" kit with more intense sparkle make-up then the rest of the year. I also stock up on eyelashes etc. when CVS has a sale - buy one , get one 50% off.
  8. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Currently I'm using a face primer, full coverage liquid foundation, the elf bronzer that has 4 different colors inside so I can mix and match, elf eyelid primer, high intensity elf pigment eye shadows, glitter eyeshadow, sephora black eyeshadow with water and a liner brush as eye liner (because my eyes twitch at pencil and the liquid never goes on the way I want it to), lip pencil (nude, because you can put anything over it), revlon lipstick (either red or a purply color depending on which dress I am wearing), clear shiny gloss over top, big fake eyelashes, and blush.
  9. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

This is a tanning related issue: Does anyone know if Super Brown had changed their formula recently?

I ordered a bottle of 160 ml Super Brown tanning liquid directly from Dance Co, the company. The bottle turned out to be extremely diluted as if someone had mixed it with LOTS of water !!! It does not tan at all, only makes my skin wet :( I put on 2 layers, and no effect at all !!!

I have been using Super Brown for years, I know how it should be, usually after 2 layers, I should already achieved the toasty comp tan look. So I'm wondering if they've just shipped me a BAD (SPOILED) bottle or just they just changed their formula !!! I've sent an email to the company 2 days ago, explained the issue, asked for either a refund or ship me a replacement; no response, I bought it thru paypal, I also had contacted company thru paypal resolution center, and no response from the company.

Anyway, either they changed formula or just shipped me a bad (spoiled) bottle, this bad bottle is unacceptable !!! This is bad quality! I feel like being CHEATED by the company - they sold me this bottle of thing almost as light as water! This is not the quality tanning product that they advertised, this is not the quality product I used to purchase! I don't care if the company had this bottle in their storage room for too long to get spoiled, not even bother to respond email inquiry after sold a bad bottle to a long term customer and is unacceptable!

Just wondering if anyone else had bought Super Brown either from the company directly or from any US vendors recently, if same issue happened. I used to really like this product, but after this bad experience, I would very much likely to stop business with them if they won't even care to respond me.
  10. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Have you purchased from Dance Cos before? I was once advised not to buy regular tanning bed lotion from online because of this very issue (although I do all the time). Basically the person at the salon told me that some companies either dilute the lotion or only send half of what is supposed to be in the bottle.

I find it hard to believe that Super Braun would change a successful formula that dancers rely on. It could be they just made a bad batch and aren't aware of it.

Since Dance Cos isn't responding, I would dispute the charge through paypal and buy elsewhere.
  11. Standarddancer

Yes I bought online from Dance Co before, had been ok no problem before; just this time, so disappointing!!! I think that person at Salon had told you correct things - some company do dilute to make more profit, this bottle they sold to me really is less than 1/3 of what is supposed to be. So either they made a bad batch and not aware of it, or just dilute it to sell to oversea customers? Either way they have to respond me! Can't believe this is happening:(

I already disputed thru paypal resolution center, well the procedure is Paypal will contact the seller and asked the seller to respond, so far the company hasn't even responded to Paypal:( I'll keep you updated.
  12. hereKittyKitty

We work a lot through paypal in our business. They keep a record of these things. If Dance Cos doesn't respond to you, it just makes them look bad to paypal. Please do keep us updated as I'm sure your not the only one buying from Dance Cos.
  13. Standarddancer

ok I received an email from the company, they said they did changed their formula, the new formula is now diluted, they now only use only the natural brown walnut color, not like before used red and yellow color to mix; they said because there are customers complain Super Brown turned green sometimes, so they decided to stop using red and yellow mix and only use tinted natural brown walnut color, the company sworn the effect is the same, just have to try again and wait over night; I told them the reason I used to love Super Brown because the instant tanned comp look, I don't like something that need to be wait for overnight to see effect; they apologized and said they would refund me the money and sorry for my disappointment. There are actually other customers complained of the new very light formula so they are possibly thinking of changing back to the old formula or make something similar to the old formula.
  14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

They should make two different ones for sale.
  15. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Back on the original topic, I bought a ballroom foundation (cheap e.l.f. in the darkest color it comes in, nice stuff for the price!) and I mix it with my normal foundation to make a color that matches whatever amount of tan I've applied. I'll even mix in a little of pink shimmery cream eyeshadow that I never use (it came in a tube and just doesn't go on my eyes right) to warm it up a little bit and match my pink-ness. Instant custom shade.
  16. hereKittyKitty

That's crazy. Just because the product turns green doesn't mean it goes on green. When self tanners first came on the market, they made everyone look orange. So green was added in to offset the orange. Its the same thing with Sun Labs Dark Sunsation. It turns green, I put it on and it looks brown. Super Braun has been around a long time. Even body builders use it to get super dark right before they go onstage. I guess they will now loose that market to Jan Tana Contest color unless they switch it back.
  17. hereKittyKitty

Great idea! I love e.l.f. and their prices are awesome. Recently I went through all of my makeup in a quest to clean out, L'oreal, Maybelline, Cover Girl, Rimmel and so on, because I couldn't stomach the whole animal testing thing that they do (not getting on my soapbox,just something I don't stand for). While doing my research, e.l.f, Wet-n-Wild, Milani, and Revlon were the go to drugstore brands.
    Wet-n-wild bronzers are great. I've also used e.l.f false eyelashes and their lipstick. I've been very pleased with both.
  18. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I love Revlon... don't use it so much for comps bc I like to have more industrial strength stuff. But I use their powder and bronzer for comps and I love it. I also use them for some every day make up (lipstick, eye shadow, liner, etc). For being a "cheap" drug store brand, their stuff is very high quality.
  19. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

This whole dance cos thing is making me sad... I was thinking about getting some to supplement my DHA+lotion thing I have going on now to give me a more intense tan for smooth. Now I don't know what I will do.
  20. hereKittyKitty

Have you looked up Jan Tana?