fake tan and make up again

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kitty, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I'm just retiring from 8 years of fitness competition (like bodybuilding, but with a routine). I've used pro-tan & dream tan, and then switched to Jan Tana. My last few competitions i've had issues with Jan Tana turning me green and now it seems the current favourite product is Liquid Sun Rays.

Often what happens with the green thing can definitely be a change in the product formula (definitely NOT fun to find this out the day before/day of! LOL) and also the pH balance of your skin (including your sweat). When we prep for a competition, in the week or two before, we do things like exfoliate the skin, deep moisturizing (skin texture changes the way the tan goes on), avoid wearing underarm deoderant, etc to help with this. I've had the unfortunate experience of waking up green the morning of a competition LOL so i highly suggest anyone trying a newer tan product in advance and putting a "test patch" somewhere on your skin and somewhere that will be affected by sweat.

And yeah we dont' ever apply it to our faces, just up to the top of the neck/under the chin. A lot of the male bodybuilders put tanning products on their face and it can have an interesting effect LOL. In the past i've used some of the darker MAC foundations to match. My usual "normal life" bronzer works really well as a setting powder. Lots of friends i know use even drugstore brand stuff very successfully. Just some food for thought.

I'll be doing my very first competition in dance coming in a few months (TOTALLY new experience for me) and i'm relieved that dancers don't go as dark as fitness competition tanning and i wont' need to worry about touching up "pee splashes" (yes, it's exactly what you think it is LOL) cause my dress is longish. But baby wipes work GREAT for getting the tan off hotel room toilet seats ;-P The tan products have always been an interesting experience in themselves LOL.

Anyway, now i'm off to read the earlier posts of this thread..... :cool:

2. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for your post. It was very informative. I was not aware of the problems with Jan Tana. I just know that a lot of Dancers use Super Braun and it is a shame they took such a drastic step in changing the formula. My friend even uses it for fitness competitions so I'm sure she is going to be disappointed. I had never heard of it turning anyone green so that is news to me if it does.
    It took a long time to finally find a tanner that worked for me. So I feel for those that will now have to start over.
    I too am glad that dancers don't have to get as dark as fitness competitors. I would never get there Lol..

3. hereKittyKitty

I have used Revlon's Photo Ready foundation and my pictures from that comp turned out great:D

4. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I told the company that even though Super Brown might turn green over time, but when applied to skin, it's still brown. The company said they also received other customers' complain that don't like the new formula so they are thinking maybe change back.

However, for now, until they come up with something similar to the old formula, I need to search for something gives instant tanned comp look. That's pain on the neck, I don't have the time or patience to wait over night to see tanned look, need something instant. Now I'm using pro tan (the spray one sold by most US venders at comp). It's instant, but not as easy to even out as Super brown old formula. And pro tan streaks on my legs and Super Brown old formula doesn't. Anyone else have any other good suggestions? I won't go for drug store brands, takes too long to see the tanned look, need something with industrial strength! This new Super Brown formula is really big disappointment!

5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I just started using quick tan and like it. It has a slight brown color when applied and gets darker shortly after.

6. T011AZ3

T011AZ3 New Member

I wear Shiseido, and I keep a bottle of super super dark makeup (D10) and I mix it with my regular shade to darken as appropriate.

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF T011AZ3. :-D

8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF Miss Silly and T011AZ3!

9. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

With regards to make up for the face, I dont tan my face because it looks yuck on me and then you still have to use foundation over the top anyway, but I use Kryolan (I think its Kryolan, I get it from a specialty shop here but you can order it online at danceshopper . com) Natural Beige 4 foundation, it matches my tan perfectly. I just make sure I blend it right up into my hairline, around my ears etc etc

10. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Hmmmm I have always had a problem with sweating off drug store brands... even the "sport" kind. Industrial strength stage makeup has been my go to for sweat-proof foundation.

11. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Thank you for the wecome latingal!! :)

Yes this is exactly it---a tan that goes green doesn't necessarily mean that it goes green immediately. This is what makes it so tricky. I did a test patch of that last Jan tana "experience" (LOL) and it went on fine. I put it all on the night before my comp and it was a beautiful shade. And then i woke up the next morning, day of the competitions, and 3/4 of my body was green. LOL It's pretty funny now when i think about it, but it wasn't so funny that morning LOL.

I only have experience with tanning products from fitness competitions and we have to get crazy dark. We bring our own sheets & towels and pillowcases to the hotel, etc, cause it gets everywhere. It even stains our bikinis and fitness costumes. I've never done a dance competition before and my first one is in July. Do you guys have a lot of issues with the tan products staining your dance dresses? And even your regular clothes after? Or the hotel sheets?

12. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

If you're dancing rhythm or Latin, you might find that the two sports are quite similar in terms of tanning preparedness although fitness competitors probably tend to go a little darker (generally speaking.) I dance Latin and I've been known to bring extra sheets and pillowcase to hotels :) ESP if the costume shows a lot of skin. The less skin that shows, the less tan I feel I need to be, although my lightest competition tan is still darker than I would ever get in every day life.

Also, all of the self tanners I've used (mystic, san tropez, fake bake, etc.) have stained clothes and costumes slightly but it always comes out in the wash. The bronzers like sex symbol, Lorac and others that wash off stain more than the tanners. And some of the bronzers are very hard to get out of clothing.

13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I dunno... Pro-Tan, no matter what the negatives... stili get the darkest, the fastest, for the cheapest.

14. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Ahhh okay. Maybe i'll throw in my show-sheets when i pack. Better safe than sorry i guess LOL I love going to competitions with like 3 giant suitcases for one weekend hahahah.

Good point about the latin dresses and showing more skin...that makes sense. The latin (or i guess i should say "rhythm" lol---see how little i know?) dress i plan to wear is more conservative because my weight is up quite a bit from where i'm comfortable at (argh :rolleyes:). LOL But i'll aim for on the darker side. It might help my situation HAHAH.

Otherwise i guess it's business as usual when it comes to tanning---somewhat messy no matter what LOL

15. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I have never heard of Jan Tana... I was thinking of using pro-tan but would love to hear anyone's opinions.

EDIT: I realize that this sentence makes me look like a dum dum since both products have been mentioned in this thread. I mean, any additional information or opinions are always helpful.

16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

For me JanTana does not work, next morning it rinses right off and I look exactly the same.

17. hereKittyKitty

That's good to know. I had the same problem with St. Tropez. Right now I'm sticking with Sun Labs Dark Sunsation. Applied over 3 nights I'm able get pretty dark.

18. Standarddancer

Pro tan is quite neat, used to be my 2nd best choice, now with the problem of Super Brown changed formula, pro tan is my 1st choice now. It tanned quite fast and price is reasonable. I don't like the small brush comes with it, I still use the sponge comes with Super Brown to tan. The bottle is good for travel, won't spill any tanning liquid out in my suitcase, so no need to worry tan gets on my dress.

19. Standarddancer

I got another email from Dance Co, they said they will send me a small sample of Profi Brown, suggested me to mix it with the Super Brown for instant darker look. As far as I could remember, Profi Brown is very very dark, very concentrated formula made by Dance Co., I understand the company is really trying hard to keep long term customers happy, but to me, this sounds like bit pain on the neck that I have to mix the 2 formula myself for an ideal instant tanned look !!!! Nevertheless, I would try, since Pro Tan tans ok for my arm and back but streaks on my leg, so I still need to try to find something instant and does not streak on any part of my body.

20. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I am always scared to try Profi Brown... I feel like I would sweat it off. I am fine with things like Aerotan and Sexy Tan (esp with the fixative over it). I heard somewhere about someone sweating the Profi Brown off and while I don't sweat as copiously as, say, our friend Fascination, I do sweat. Nobody wants the streakies.

Standarddancer, I am curious to try protan, but I always have trouble not having my legs streak too!!! The day someone comes out with a nice smelling, ultra fast, non streaking, easy-to-apply, non-staining, no-skin-disease-when-coming-off looking tanner, I will personally find the inventor and give them a hug... and maybe a cookie too.