fake tan and make up again

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kitty, Dec 28, 2005.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Nonie and Standarddancer....if you're doing Standard, are legs that critical? If I'm doing standard or smooth I just wear tights or fishnets under the ankle-length skirt that covers my legs and don't bother tanning them much at all. I keep the ProTan to visible skin (new Standard gown has no arms, just gauntlets with floats, Latin is long-sleeve with open back.) With a long dress, since I'm not doing Open smooth and it doesn't fly that high in Standard, I figure no one sees my legs clearly enough to know if they're not perfectly even brown, so long as they're not fishbelly white.
  2. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I never tanned my legs for standard... would just wear Capezio fishnets in Suntan and since I didn't tan the rest of me that dark anyways, it was ok. It was nice not having to tan my legs and I enjoyed that immensely. I will greatly miss that when I prepare for Manhattan in July.

I do smooth now and my coaches told me on no uncertain terms was I to wear tights in order to avoid tanning my legs. I either have to tan my legs and wear fishnets, or just tan my legs dark enough so I don't need tights. They would prefer that I not wear tights at all, so I have to resort to the tanning methods I used when I did Latin (super dark and no stockings). For the record, my smooth dress has a massive slit up the side, and I do Open so there are lots of legs flying about in all directions. Fishnets + suit buttons = bad news bears, apparently.

This is where my despair sets in... when I did latin I never perfected the art of tanning my legs. I would always need sex symbol to even out any mistakes. And it is hard for me to get the tan even (elbows, ankles, and knees are the devil) and to get my back dark enough to match my arms and other parts. You'd think over all the years, with all the collective tanning applications I have done, that I would have figured out some magic process by now... but no. Tanning is an evil process.

So far I wear gloves, exfoliate problem areas copiously, and put lotion on those areas before tanning and I still have issues. If there is some other special technique that I am missing, I would love to hear about it haha.
  3. danceronice

You could try airbrush tanning? If it weren't $$ plus time (the latter being the killer for me) I'd do it every comp instead of just Ohio, where I need it to last four days. I find my legs are the biggest hassle after tyring to reach the center of my back, and it's easier just to let the airbrush aesthetician handle it. And they know how to mix the tanner to get it dark!
  4. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Also the bottle has to be closed securely tight enough so tanning lotion/liquid won't spill out in my luggage to my dress when I travel ! Nobody wants tanning lotion spill to their dress!

me too, I would personally find the inventor and give them a thank you hug too:) Great idea!
  5. Standarddancer

Well, I prefer to keep my whole body skin to one skin tone, especially in summer, I would like to often enjoy pool in comp hotel and wear shorts or short skirts; if I only tan my arms and back for standard dress (which is enough for dance floor), not to tan my legs, my legs look awfully white compared to my tanned arms and backs when wear summer outfit or bathing suit. It's just awfully white and pale looking which I don't feel comfortable myself.

In one of the old days, I thought I could save money by only tan the part of body not to be covered by dress, for example, I thought the float of my right arm is long enough so I don't need to tan my forearm, it happened at comp, the light chiffon float flied up, so my very white untanned forearm exposed, looked awful compared to my tanned back and shoulder:(

Also I overheard some lady judges at pro party made fun of some dancers have "2 toned skin color", basically that lady judge saw a Latin girl tan herself at lady's room, but she only tanned her back which is not covered by her dress, so her front and back are two different shades of colors, so sort of looking funny, so the lady judge called her "the 2 skin-toned lady".

So after my own experience and overheard of that joke of 2 skin-colored lady, I always try to even out my tan, not to have 2 different shades of color for my body. I feel more comfortable that way.
  6. Standarddancer

I like airbrush tanning, time is no issue, only takes 15 minutes for the whole process, but money is issue, it's expensive, in NYC, cheapest I could find is $75 each time plus tips, and usually they are fully booked, so if you want to go to a good airbrush tanning place, can't do it last minute, usually must call to book a few days earlier. Pro tan is much cheaper, one bottle can be used for many comps.
  7. danceronice

I mean actually bothering to go to a salon at all--any time out of my day is an annoyance. (I don't bother with hairdressers or nail salons, either, which also avoids the health issues with the latter.)

I guess I don't care about the two-tone thing. It looks odd enough when it fades anyway! I only ever get darker skin on my arms from the sun, if I don't put on enough sunblock at the barn, so in summer I have uneven tans all the time. But then I try to avoid ever getting sun exposure at all, which keeps the dermatologist happy! Fewer spots to check.
  8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

15 bucks at the shop down from my house!!
  9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Ziploc bag. Double-bag it if necessary.
  10. Standarddancer

Are you serious? Is it Mystic tanning (done by machine) or airbrush tanning (the one sprayed by a person)? In NY, can easily find Mystic tanning for $15 to $20, but airbrush is definitely in a different price range.
  11. Standarddancer

I used double ziploc bag one time, still spilled out thru the bag to my dress:( that was a brand new bottle of Super Brown, at Pro National:( That time I had 3 dresses, so one was unusable because of that:( the brown liquid went over the feathers on skirt, luckily only the feathers, so only unusable for that trip, replaced dirty feathers after back to home, does not cost too much for purchasing feathers, just quite a headache to shop to find matching feathers.

So after that, I don't travel with Super Brown liquid, only use at home, only travel with Pro Tan which is a spray bottle and does not spill. Even though does not get on my dress, still don't want a tanning liquid mess in my suitcase.
  12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Airbrush! And she understands when I say I want to be freaky dark :)
  13. Standarddancer

That's fantastic! Next time if I come to Boston for comp, you have to bring me to her:)
  14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

A little strip of duct or masking tape around the bottle cap can really help. :)
  15. Standarddancer

Problem resolved with Dance Co, they refunded money for the diluted bottle. Owner Mira is very nice. It took a while to resolve the issue because of the Blackpool Dance Festival weekend, she was at Winter Garden, so took longer than normal to credit my account.

I tried her suggestions of mixing new diluted Super Brown formula with Profi tan again, noticed profi tan tend to turn the skin to reddish kind of brown, not gold toasty kind of brown like original formula. Not really ideal color but still Super Brown liquid is easier to even out than Pro Tan when apply with a sponge. I only wish Super Brown can come up with a new formula of real brown or gold formula like the old formula.
  16. Griffico

Griffico Member

I've used Sally Hansen's "Airbrush Sun" a couple times now and I'm pretty impressed with the results. One thick coat turns me just the right shade of dark, and I'm a decidedly pasty person. Only trouble is you feel pretty slimy for the first 24 hours after application, but it lasts full on for about 2 days, and wears out after about 5.
  17. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

I first want to apologize for making yet another thread on this, I just couldn't find exactly what i was looking for. What are your favorite makeup brands for long comp days? It can be drugstore, high street, department store, high end, or anything in between.
    What items from each brand? I have a foundation and body cover from derma blend picked out and my favorite lipstick is smash box.
    I need to know a good, face primer, eye primer, black (liquid or gel, which is better?) eyeliner, white pencil eyeliner, mascara, false lashes, eyeshadow, cosmetic glitter for eyes, eyelash glue, blush, highlighter, a serious lip liner...I think that's it. I'm not tanning or using bronzer(gasp I know...I know...but I have some top pro's,( i wont put their names out there) approval and I want to change things)

What is best to do with the nails? French mani? Red? Matching the dress? what to do if you have multiple costumes and they are different colors?
    Do you have any tips on how to get the polish to stay and not chip?
  18. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I like a French manicure -- goes with everything, and a relatively simple elegance. But I do have problems with chipping, and I need more practice with getting them neat, especially on my right hand. I just bought a box of the Sally Hansen nail polish strips to try for next time. The reviews I see are mostly positive, so I'm hopeful. I'll put them on a couple of days ahead, so I have time to re-do the old-fashioned way if they don't work out.
  19. stash

stash Well-Known Member

You could always go with the temporary fake nails for the comps. Many of them come already as french tips so no worry of chipping.
  20. Standarddancer

For face primer, I like Hour Glass or Make Up Forever, eye primer I like Urban Decay Primer Portion or Too faced Shadow Insurance. Foundation I like MAC Studio Tech. Eyeshadow I use a mixed of Urban Decay, Fabulous cosmetic (from Italy), MAC and Ben Nye since these are highly and strongly pigmented, bright gorgeous colors and long wearing. Eyeliner is tricky, you can use either liquid liner or gel liner, I can do either one, gel liner I like MAC fluidline or Bobbi Browne Gel liner, but make sure you use a very nice high quality eyeliner brush to make the line precise, I use MAC Fluidline with an eyeliner brush when I apply makeups for others since I found it is much easier to control; For myself, I can use either MAC or Stila Black liner, I also highly recommend the black liner from FLB (Fabulous cosmetic), very efficient and dramatic look.

Glitters I like Make Up forever (MUF) or Fabulous Cosmetics (FLB), especially MUF, many color selections, very versatile.

Blush or lipsticks are possible to find drugstore brands which serves similar purpose as high end one, I happened to found a Wet & Wild lipstick cost only $1 which very long wearing and appears to look just as dramatic and nice as the expensive ones I got from Sephora. Currently I use Nars and MAC blush & Bronzer, sometimes I use the cheapie drug store lipstick and sometimes I use the Christian Dior one with MAC lip gloss. Lip liner I like Nars.

Nail polishes you can either do French or find the color you want from Sephora Nail polish sections, sometimes it is possible to find color matching your dress from that section. Also OPI, Sinful colors and Revlon are all very nice and affortable drug store brands for nail polishes.