fake tan and make up again

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kitty, Dec 28, 2005.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I did Mystic tan and then used their bottle of self-tanner (which they no longer sell in my neighborhood) the next day. I'm really less than thrilled with Mystic tan. But, it's probably because it goes on invisible so I can't tell what the he-l-l I'm rubbing around once it's done. Did you try the Coppertone stuff yet?

2. alemana

alemana New Member

i ddin't, even though i bought it. i'm kind of too nervous to do something untested for the comp - all my fault, i had plenty of time to experiment.

if i do the coppertone after i spray tan, like the next day, will it have any effect on my already-dyed skin?

3. elegance

elegance New Member

I haven't done mystic tan twice but ended up using coppertone on top of mystic tan for my last competition. I thought mystic tan would be more convenient but didn't end up liking the color as much as coppertone. However, one coat of coppertone on top gave me the same nice color as I usually get with the coppertone alone and it was still a less lengthy procedure. I love the coppertone but my one complaint is the time it takes!

4. alemana

alemana New Member

so you are saying it would've been enough just to do coppertone alone? and how much time did it take? do you mean development time, application time, or both?

i was thinking of spray-tanning, then the next day applying coppertone to legs only.

5. elegance

elegance New Member

Yeah, I've always done Coppertone alone before, but I didn't have as much time before that competition: it's at least an hour, morning and evening, for 2-3 days. I do it for the benefit of latin, and have a two piece dress, so apply it all over, and it takes forever to dry (no longer to develop than any other, I think). But it looks better than any other tan I've tried.

The Mystic tan does give me a slightly different shade (less warm) than the Coppertone, but that's pretty much what I did- just applied on the parts that show- arms legs and stomach, and it didn't look patchy. So I would think that would work for you.

I don't know if I'd use Mystic tan again- if I did I'd want to use two coats, but that gets expensive...

6. alemana

alemana New Member

oh crap now i really don't know what to do.

7. elegance

elegance New Member

sorry...

but have you done mystic tan before (sorry didn't go back and read)- if you're happy with the color then maybe it would be good to stick with it- I just didn't really like it and didn't find one coat enough, that's why I went over with coppertone. (or maybe I should shut up now and let someone else answer!!). Bottom line, though, either of those goes on smooth and will look fine, compared to some of the (patchy) disasters I've had.

8. alemana

alemana New Member

no! actually the problem is the one you mention - one coat of spray tan is not enough. so my choices are

1. do 2 coats of spray tan, which i have no idea what that will look like, PLUS it's expensive.

2. do a coat of spray, then the coppertone, also untested method.

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

meh, tanning beds may be evil, but alot easier IMO and doesnt mess or stink up your dresses...yes I know I will look 80 by 50 and that its dangerous....

10. elegance

elegance New Member

Hah! If only I were capable of producing my own melanin! I'd be all over that.
    alemana, IMO either of your choices will probably turn out fine. (I know, it's the "probably"...) Maybe you could ask the mystic tan people their experience with two coats?

11. alemana

alemana New Member

it's a bunch of clueless teenagers who can't keep the machines functioning and whose 'job' ostensibly is to sell more tans - i don't trust them to give good info.

12. alemana

alemana New Member

but i did give in and call a pro i know of similar skin tone. hopefully she'll rescue me.

13. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Yes, tanning beds are dangerous. Unfortuantely, I was a manager of a tanning salon when I was much younger. I had to be very dark to sell "the product". I've had about a dozen cancerous and pre-cancerous spots removed from body in the last 7 years. I have at least that many more that are checked annually. Some have left scars that are now hyper-pigmented (no color at all--white) and some just hurt like hell getting them removed. The largest scar is about 1.5 inches wide. O.k, I don't look like swiss cheese or anything like that.

I'm a freckly skin type and now the freckles don't go away when I get them.

When you go to a tanning salon you are exposing your body to 3 hours worth of sun in 15 minutes--a single session. Radical changes occur at the cellular level when you expose your skin to UV rays, and you're not wearing sunscreen in the tanning bed, right? Remember, your skin is your body's largest organ. Be nice to your skin.

DON'T DO IT. Every year people die from skin cancer.

14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i dont take your warning lightly, and I use moderation but understand the risks...I dont freckle nor am i light to begin with nor do I have any of the issues you mention, but I beleive the warning is a service to all

15. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I know there are people out there with skin that tans evenly. That is to say that the start of abnormal cells in less likely to occur. People with skin like that are less likely to have problems, but they still could.

I'm half Italian and I still freckle like my Irish/Lithuanian part!

Just please be careful.

16. alemana

alemana New Member

the verdict:

spray twice, once tonight and once again on friday. she offered to lend me various liquids and magical ointments, but not having applied these myself in the past, i won't use this comp as a testing ground.

you gotta love a sixty dollar tan.

17. redhead

redhead New Member

I'm too late to respond, but I applied Banana Boat 3 times a day for 2 days and it worked out fine so it can be done (before work/after work/ before bed). No one noticed anything at work :)

18. alemana

alemana New Member

not too late - i'm going to remember these replies next time!

19. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I always liked the tone of Ban de Soleil (dark or deep dark), recommended by my latin coach. It's pretty natural looking. No orange tint at all. I was usually fine with 1 - 2 coats, but I never wanted to go super dark.

20. elegance

elegance New Member

Cool...so Wed, Fri, and comp is Sat? Good luck at the competition!