fake tan and make up again

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kitty, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Dior show mascara and Lancôme definicil or Extencil all great mascaras, should be waterproof.
  2. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Yeah, I think most waterproof drugstore mascaras really live up to their name - all the Maybelline ones I've used never come off, and neither does my now-favorite, L'Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensions. The brush has something like two hundred bristles on it, so it definitely catches every lash and coats and extends your lashes like CRAZY. And of course, when it's waterproof, it's damn near impossible to take off.
  3. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

Thank you all. Anyone know of a fabluous highlighter, for someone who's extremely pale and doesn't tan?
  4. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

What kind of pink polish is better for French - translucent or opaque? I tried both and both look OK, but is there any consensus on which is better?
  5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I like the look of translucent better personally.
  6. TakeTwo

TakeTwo Member

Agreed. I have short fingers and opaque colors tend to shorten them. I'll opt for a sheer polish.
  7. CCdance

CCdance Active Member

Prestige makes really good highlighter (bronzer as well), my Drugstore fav, and it's inexpensive so definitely worth a try...
  8. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to a tanning mitt? I just used mine for the first time and OMG it was amazing. So easy to put the tan on, etc.

But it ripped halfway through, and then spent the rest of the tanning session sliding around and being a general PITA. Is there anything else that you guys use that makes mousse go on easily?
  9. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I use liquid tanning lotion, so don't really need to use mitt, I use sponge for apply my super brown liquid lotion, in my opinion is easier to use than mitt + mousse.

I helped a friend tan her back once, she uses the Taka mousse + mitt, the Taka mitt is stable and sturdy, it doesn't move around or rip while applying. So if you prefer the mousse form of tanner, can give Taka a try.
  10. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Some updates on tanning experiences:

After trying on my latin costume pre showcase, I realized I was not willing to wear it even for a three minute number without a tan :)

I wanted to try airbrush, so I went to Tan Etc and had Norvell product in "Double Dark" sprayed on.

1. a nice even golden brown tan - equivalent to three nights of Super Braun
    2. whole process took about 15 minutes
    3. non sticky
    4. dried fast
    5. no streaks

The only cons were that they didn't get my face dark enough - but I could have insisted on more on the face. I could also have stood the whole tan to be a little darker for Latin, but it was the first time and I'm sure I will be able to get a little darker application in the future.

I then needed to patch my face a couple of days later as it always fades more quickly than the rest of me. I purchased a St. Tropez mousse product at Sephora and applied it to face only with a cotton ball. It dried instantly, and when I woke up this morning, the face had darkened to match the rest of me.

I found both experiences to be a huge upgrade from my Super Braun self tanning experiences the last time I competed (between 12 and 8 years ago). There was much less stress, less time invested, no loss of sleep, and a hugely improved result.

Tanning has always been a challenge for me as my natural skin tone is very light. I will almost certainly go the airbrush route in the future and take the St. Tropez product to the comp for any needed touch ups.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  11. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Makeup updates:

to match my last minute tan, I went to my favorite natural makeup store - Well People, here in Austin, (co owned by a dermatologist, a makeup artist and a sustainability expert). They provided a stick makeup, powder, bronzer, highligher, and lip gloss that really punched up my look.

They have their own makeup line and their products are free of parabens and other toxins. They also have a website, so if anyone is looking for toxin free makeup I highly recommend them.
    dancelvr and j_alexandra like this.
  12. mindputtee

Those of you that use Aery Jo (or other similar body foundation type tanning products), how do you apply? I've tried using my hands and using a large round foundation brush and always have trouble with application. The brush works well, but takes a lot longer. With my hands I feel I have to apply more and go darker in color to get an even look (also, glittery palms for days). Anyone found a particular technique or method makes it go on easier and more evenly?
  13. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I've never used it, but maybe you could try a sponge brush type thing (maybe even the kind you get at a craft store?), or one of those tanning mitts that are designed for self-tanners?
  14. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

My pro buddies wear latex surgical gloves when they tan. Pour it into the hand, smooth it on, hands stay safe.
  15. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Have you tried using a makeup remover on your hands once you're done applying? When I use a lotion, my last step is always to rub my palms, knuckles and elbows with Neutrogena wipe (only lightly on the knuckles and elbows since they still need to get somewhat tan)..
  16. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

But ... but ... Jubilee is a brunette.
    mindputtee likes this.
  17. mindputtee

Yeah, I use my makeup remover wipes and they get off the brown relatively well, but nothing can stop that glitter. I've used gloves before, but feel like I don't get the same control and even spreading power and end up with streaky bits.
  18. Dancing Irishman

Yet another perk of being a dude in the ballroom world. I never have to use anything with glitter.
    latingal likes this.
  19. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

The first fake tan stuff I bought had it in it. I've never been so glad to have actually followed the "try it on a test patch of skin in an inconspicuous place" instructions. :D
    latingal likes this.
  20. Dancing Irishman

I can only imagine what work the next morning would have been like if you didn't!!