fake tan and make up again

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kitty, Dec 28, 2005.

1. chandra

chandra New Member

yup, red haired, blue eyes... NOt that difficult!
    Im blond personally, but most of my parents and family are redheads with blue eyes!

2. alemana

alemana New Member

is anyone using bare essentials?

i bought some yesterday for daily use - finally got the application down - and when i went to the gym afterwards i noticed that it did run pretty badly when i sweat. that means, i guess, that powder-based fake makeup is a bad idea for competitions. too bad because it looks freaking great.

3. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

I just ended up getting some nice heavy duty MAC stuff that goes NOWHERE

4. alemana

alemana New Member

oh yeah that stuff sticks. i love it.

but the feel of the powder... it's so light. gorgeous. and it's so luminous too.

5. yanka

yanka New Member

ok. I got some Matas, and I've never used it before. Aside from the fact that the directions on the bottle are not in English (so I'm wondering if there is any useful application insight), I'm trying to figure out how many coats I should use. I'm really pale and normally do about 4-5 coats of "Deep" Neutrogena. Anyone have any advice?

I also read somewhere that people mix DHA powder into the Matas. Do you just spoon some into the bottle? And how much?

6. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Matas is a very good tanner. I am quite fair-skinned. I use 2-3 applications of Matas, spaced about 6 - 12 hours apart. More coats will not give you deeper color, in my experience.
    I haven't tried adding the DHA, though I have that stuff sitting in my fridge.

7. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Regarding the progressively more orange tint of repeated application of some tanning products (Neutregena, is the one I'm familiar with), I used to alternate applications of it with a different product that had a greenish tint (Estee Lauder). The two tended to balance out a give a less un-natural look then either would alone. I'm very pale, so often took two applications of each.

8. yanka

yanka New Member

Odd outcome I've never encountered: I put the stuff on last night, and woke up streaky. I've used many different self tanners in a number of forms (sprays/foams/lotions) for 3 or 4 years, and I've never before had this problem. It's not just an uneven tan, but you can literally see streaks of color. Questions:

A. Am I doing something wrong? Matas is just a thick moisturizer - am I rubbing it in too hard or not hard enough? I feel like I'm doing exactly what I do with the others...
    B. While it is likely that further applications will even out the streakiness of the previous one, there is some chance of super bad luck where I end up with overlapping streaks, thereby getting an even more pronounced streakiness. Esp. if the streakiness is due to my application technique. Help!

9. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

That's a new one. I've used Matas for several years, and never ran into this problem. Just spread it on evenly, wait for it to absorb into the skin before putting your clothes on, and voila.
    Maybe others can help? If there is time, may be you can remove the streaky tan using the new detanner stuff that's on the market (I haven't used it yet, though I have a complimentary tube of the stuff).
    Good luck.

10. yanka

yanka New Member

hmmm...well, I *think* I'm spreading it on evenly. I'm doing the same thing I always do and, like I said, I've never had a problem before (although the lotions I've used have had a bronzer, and the things I've used that haven't had a bronzer were sprays, wheras matas is a brozer-free lotion).

The good news is that it seems as though coat 2 is somewhat covering up the defects of coat 1. So at least we don't have the super bad luck scenario, as far as I can tell.

But I was just very surprised with the results of this morning, which is why I wanted to see if anyone had any tips/recommendations.

11. alemana

alemana New Member

I found this as I was reading through this thread and it reminded me that when I went to see the DWTS tour, one of the company latin pros, Annette Nicole, was *resolutely* pale. She really stood out next to the others, especially the cancerous-looking Edyta, but you know what?

It didn't look bad.

If you have a terrific body and aren't standing next to someone who is supertan, you can pull off the paler look. Thing is, the pressure to tan is so high.. if you try to do this at a comp, you will definitely stand out, and probably not in a good way.

12. Me

Me New Member

I have no idea what to do with my body. I have a performance this weekend in a two piece Latin outfit and I am the CROWNING EXAMPLE of white bread. I have no time (because of intense tango rehearsals for a production on Wednesday) no time for mystic tans. I am at a loss. I have no idea what to do for a quick tan. I just know that I have to do SOMETHING. I mean, seriously. I am just way too white. I look like I've been living in a cave all my life white. :(

13. alemana

alemana New Member

it takes less than half an hour to get a spray tan. i'm sympathetic to having a busy life, but....

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i was watching ballroom tv over the weekend and decided there must be a product out there called Scary Tan... "she... she's using it... and she is, too" was my commentary...

anything that diminishes the use of Scary Tan is a good thing, in my book.
    <note to self... must by more dates...>

15. K_8ie

K_8ie New Member

I only use DermaBlend..it's tanned stage makup. I doesn't run off....easy to work with and look gorgeous. I never tan my face, this thing blens in so well that you can't tell where protan ends and Derma blend begins.

Love this stuff

16. K_8ie

K_8ie New Member

That's funny....I have a job...and I consider myself a "normal person". But I travel, compete, and take tons of lessons all over. I've been dancing since I'm 3. Competitive dancing is a culture. Like every sport. I'm sorry, but there is no way I will go out on the floor looking like Snow White. In Standard...maybe...Latin, no way. Latin is the key word. We are not only dancers but actors as well. Therefore, we must assume the role.

Not tanning is like dancing rumba with a dead fish face.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

cracked me up... :tongue:

18. alemana

alemana New Member

yeah but what laura saying was not necessarily "no tan!" but "no pretend stupid tan that looks like you have a skin condition," which is exactly what is the norm right now.

19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Just have dates like samina has...and keep eating them...get a tan within 3 weeks and keep one on without putting anything on the skin. ;-)

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah, but my "tan" so far is probly just standard-acceptable. i'd look like a snow cone out there in latin right now... <date experiment to continue...>