fake tan and make up again

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kitty, Dec 28, 2005.

1. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

so has anyone out there tried the new (new to me anyway) product from Banana Boat called Every Day Glow SunDial? It's supposedly adjustable in terms of how light or dark you want to go.

2. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I've had pretty good success with Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs spray-on stuff (most drugstores carry it). I've used it on my back, chest, and arms as well as legs. The best shade is "Deep Glow" (even if you are very pale, the lighter shades are all too orange or weirdly beige). It doesn't make you Scary Tan dark, but will definitely give someone pale good color for a performance.

The key to good results is to RUB it in very well and use a couple of coats if necessary. It looks much better and lasts longer worked into your skin rather than just sitting on top of it.

Good luck with the performance!

3. LaLoona

LaLoona New Member

I tried several layers of it (the darkest shade) plus Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs spray on top, all together looked pretty good. I liked it, no orrange color and wears off much better and dries skin much less than Neutrogena...

Several people mentioned MAC bronzer, what is the exact name of the product? What is the best place to get it? I am looking for a brozer to put on already tanned skin, just to get that "finished" glowing look...

4. Me

Me New Member

I was told to let it dry and engage in no physical activity for at least 6 hours after getting it. Was I told wrong? I'll run over to the salon during my lunch break today if that's the case. *Hopes you read this before noon*

5. Me

Me New Member

Thank you. :D Do you apply it all to yourself, or do you have somebody else spray you?

6. Me

Me New Member

:uplaugh:

7. Gingi

Gingi New Member

Is there any other type of 30 min spray tan like Mystic Tan that you can do quickly and is there really any difference between mystic tan and another tan?

8. alemana

alemana New Member

you mean where there is a machine that sprays you?

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

reminding me of friends episode where ross gets many times over-sprayed... that's the look that totally frightens me when i see it on the comp floor.

you've had the mystic tan tho, right alemana? at a low setting, it must look pretty nice?

10. alemana

alemana New Member

i never actually did the brand Mystic, which is why i asked... i sometimes get the feeling that when people say "Mystic Tan," what they basically mean is, "spray tan in a booth." as opposed to a sun bed or ProTan or whatever.

i have done spray tans since i started dancing at a local Manhattan place called Hollywood Tan.

you exfoliate beforehand. you go in, pay yer money, take your clothes off in a private booth, cover your hair, and get sprayed for like 10 seconds. you rub it all in, come out, dry off, get dressed, and wash your hands good.

i think it was larinda who gave a good pointer a long time ago - the spray tan places tell you to use a dry towel to soak up any excess. she said, i don't want to soak it off me, i want to keep it on. so i take that advice now. i don't dry. i rub it all over, wait to air-dry, then dress.

next morning, shower off the excess (yes, it gets on your sheets, nightclothes and towels, but i have Special Brown Ones now) and go.

one coat isn't enough for me to compete in, so i either do 2 (expensive) or i do 1 and then use over-the-counter products to supplement.

11. alemana

alemana New Member

where i go you cannot adjust any settings. it's just one-spray-fits-all.

my results vary exclusively by degree of exfoliation. if i'm well-exfoliated, it's dark and even. if i don't.....

12. Gingi

Gingi New Member

Yep

13. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Don't spray the Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs stuff directly on your body! It'll get all over the place. Spray it into your palm , then rub it in very well wherever you want the color. I do everything but the middle of my back, which I can't reach. Need help for that.

14. chachabelle

chachabelle New Member

I do the Mystic or any kind of "booth" spray before comps (even my face). Mystic has 3 levels, but I usually get level 2. I've tried the at-home sprays, but they never come out as even. If I didn't get my face sprayed, I think it would look really funny. Besides, when you put on the shower cap type thingy it protects the hair, but gets the tan even - right up to the hairline. No way could I ever achieve that at home with the sprays or even Protan. Sometimes I add a layer of Protan over the spray before I go to bed. It's essential to exfoliate well before and not let any water touch the bod until the next morning. Yes, it's rubs off on the sheets - but hey, they wash. It usually doesn't rub off on my clothes if I do it the night before.

15. Gingi

Gingi New Member

10 spray tans for $99. It sounds a little too good to be true I thought they cost like $25 each. It's from a place called Energy Tanning in the Phoenix metro. Does anyone know anything about this place?

16. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

Here's an article from 2005 that reviewed some fake tans:
    http://www.dancing-times.co.uk/html.pages/dtltd_frameset.html (go to March 2005 under the Dance Today! magazine).

I'm going to try the Au Courant- www. au courant .com It's not cheap, but I spoke to someone at the company and they said that the sprays and mousses are safe for your face. They also make a tan extending lotion that is for the body only with extra DHA.

17. alemana

alemana New Member

Thanks for that link.

18. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

There used to be an independant tanning salon in my area that had a spray tan. I've tried the Mystic tan before and had a really bad experience so I was hesitatant to try this other one, but I had received a gift certificate, so I decided to give it a try. I found that the resulting color was much better than Mystic (more tan, less orange), was cheaper than the Mystic, and when you came out of the booth and dried off and got dressed, they would offer to take you into another room and with a spray bottle of the tanning solution and some blending ingredients, they would carefully and thoroughly go over any and all areas you felt were not perfect in any way. Unfortunately they closed and I haven't been able to find another place like it. Anyone in MA or RI know of anywhere that sounds like this place?

19. iluvballroom

iluvballroom New Member

i think that the tan thing is stupid... it started when someone didn't like their skin so did a tan then someone liked it and everyone copied.. It was never a rule!!! its the same with everything everyone copies then people think its required!!

20. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Um, I don't think everyone thinks it is required. It is, however, standard practice for ballroom competitions, especially as one advances in level.

But I've seen pictures of myself at some early performances without it . . . never again.