fake tan and make up again

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kitty, Dec 28, 2005.

1. iluvballroom

iluvballroom New Member

well it doesn't say anything about being tan in the ballroom rules its just what you perfer
  2. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

ditto...
  3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

it is just what looks nice on the floor
  4. iluvballroom

iluvballroom New Member

i think fake tans look horrible personaly
  5. alemana

alemana New Member

Then don't wear one.

Next.
  6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I agree. They are blotchy, not a natural color, get into creases and show wrinkles, come off on clothes, smell funny, dry out my skin and make me itch for a week, make my hairline and eyebrows a funny color.

I am addicted to wearing pants instead of skirts because for the past ten years I have been horrified by the giraffe look that my legs get as the tans wear off. It is Not a pleasant experience. It is however one I am willing to endure because I see the benefit to it, especially when when I look at my photos and videos, and other competitors with varying amounts of tan.

However it isn't for everyone. And if you are uncomfortable with it, then do without. But, advice from a very pale longtime competitor, when you go on the competition floor, you will look better for it, even if it is only one coat.
  7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

haha, when I got my first tattoo my ex said "Tattoo? You know I really don't like tattoos." I said "Well it is a good thing it is not on your body!"
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am not a big fan of fake tans either but I tan easily so that solves a problem with very little exposure and money ...and then I don't have to worry about it getting on my gowns or the smell that I have heard so much about...however, if I didn't tan, I would use at least some fake take..the lighting just makes folks who are very pale look sick and distracting in a bad way...just my opinion...certainly no one HAs to do anything...just like no one HAS to put their hair up...
  9. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I understand the objection to tanning, as someone who is pale and likes the color of her skin. The problem is that the color my skin is in natural light is NOT the color it is under ballroom lights. The lights bleach the skin further and wipe out any dimension, so you look flat and featureless.

Do you wear blusher on the ballroom floor? That's not your "natural" color either. I think of tanning just as an extension of makeup. (But I do mostly smooth, so I never go for Scary Tan and am content with a spray-on color that washes off.)
  10. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Do you look good without tan under bright lights? If yes, lucky you. Most of us probably don't. Who cares if it is not required? We do look better with it.
  11. alemana

alemana New Member

She shoots, she scores.
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

its a cute little tattoo if I recall...and I'm not telling
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hey, something of note re getting that tanned look from eating dates...

i'd stopped with the dates for a couple weeks, then started up this week, snacking every day at my desk... within three days i started to "orange up" again, very noticeable on my hands, especially my palms.

fwiw...

dunno how dark someone could get doing this... but it's pretty cool to see it happening in mid-winter.

it's those big juicy medjool dates, btw...
  14. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

Off topic but related, you can make yourself orange from the inside out by overindulging in carrots too. A friend of my sisters lived on carrots and carrot juice and began turning a lovely orange shade...
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yep, that happened to me years ago... carrot juice. thank goodness the dates give a much browner shade... :)

<note: new avatar shot shows the darker coloring... fwiw, that is definitely NOT my normal mid-winter skin tone (pix was taken in january at superbowl party)>
  16. Anna

Anna New Member

I have a comp tonight :car: how many dates do I need to eat before then?
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hey cool... good luck! :)

probly radically jacking up soluble fiber in any form not good idea hours before comp... <heh>...
  18. Laura

Laura New Member

What's this date thing? I eat dates (nice big juicy medjool dates) nearly every day, and my skin is (as Robert Smith of the Cure would put it) "snow white, delicate, whiter than pale."
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

really? lots of them? my goodness, i certainly have a different experience...
    meh, who knows... food is such a different thing for different folks...
  20. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Samina - wow! You look way more tan than I would have expected!

I wish I had some of those delicious dates right now. Mmmmmmm