Family Support for Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 4, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Here's a touchy one, that I've been wondering about lately. How much does the support of family or frineds influence people's dance hobbies/careers?

My family has been about as supportive of my dancing as is possible. They think I'm an awesome dancer (naive people! :lol: ), they attend my performances, they ask questions and encourage me, and they want me to succeed. My former s.o., totally opposite story. He didn't support my dancing at all. Oddly enough, both reactions spurred me on to continue dancing. The support, because everybody needs support, the lack of support, because it made me mad enough to want to succeed. How about you?

Question: How has your family's support of your dancing, or lack thereof, influenced you?
  2. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

My family's support has not directly influenced my dancing. They are supportive, they haven't disowned me, and they see it as beneficial for me but wouldn't encourage me to make it a priority. I guess they see it as something I like to do so they're pretty possitive about it.

It's funny... I learned to dance after moving out of the house so when I came back this summer was the first time they had to deal with the occasional "Actually, I was hoping to go dancing tonight" response and on most nights when I got home Mom wanted to hear all about it. How many dances I danced, how many times I was asked to dance, who I danced with... and she wanted names!!! lol she's a funny lady!
  3. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

My parents are convinced I will never make a living out of teaching dancing. They are always nagging me to go back to college for a "back up plan" because "I can't dance forever"....watch me..
  4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I've been daning for 11 years and I think my Mother has only seen me dance once about 10 years ago. I would feel kind of weird now dancing in front of her. I think one of the reasons I took up dancing in the first place was because I was seeking a means to express myself. I think maybe I have a little "baggage".
  5. pygmalion

I know what you mean about baggage. When I was born, most of my siblings were already grown, or close. So when they had parties at the house, I was always there, hanging around on the edges, dancing my little three-year-old heart out with total abandon. That is, until I realized they were laughing at me. Kindly, because they thought I was cute, but laughing nonetheless. Then I stopped dancing. It took until I was an adult for me to realize that I should just dance, if I wanted to dance. Now, of course, the story has changed, and they're all very proud of me. But it took quite a while for me to get over that childhood baggage.
  6. pygmalion

Does anyone else have stories, good or bad, about their family/friends/spouses' support for their dancing?
  7. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Dance and parents...

How did your parents react when you started dancing? Mine were against! Waiste of time, they called it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  8. KevinL

KevinL New Member

My parents weren't particularly aware when I started dancing. I was divorced and living three states away. They are barely even aware that I'm a teacher, although they certainly know that I dance, and that I teach.
  9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Well when I started talking passionately about latin dancing my parents did get a little perturbed. :wink: :)
  10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

About my mother's only interest in my dancing is how much money I spend. When I started dancing, she brought up that a friend & his wife had taken thousands of dollars in dance lesson from a franchise studio, and he only learned to do the two-step and a little waltz. And, she makes comments now and again about expenses. So, I just don't tell her how much lessons or other studio activities cost, and, especially, how much a competition cost. Keep in mind that I'm 38, gainfully employed, I have a mortgage (and I'm ahead on payments), and my car is paid for.

Other than that she doesn't show a lot of interest...except, when I've come back from a competition and brought pictures. Then she wants to tell her friends the results and show the pictures around. :roll:
  11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

100% encouragement!!!

My Mom was the NY State Jitterbug champion two years in a row, so she totally encouraged me. We danced often, but not enough!

It's wonder that I didn't turn dancing into a career.
  12. pygmalion

My Mom and Dad are very, very proud of me. 8)
  13. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:lol: :lol: They're still reacting to it!

It's been a struggle though. I don't think they thought I was going to stick with it, mum's not happy with the expenses (even though they only buy me 1 lesson a month), and my mother *especially* is not very happy with me as her (only) daughter doing Latin dances... (I think it's the hip motion.... :lol: And the fact that Latin dances are in and of themselves very sexy, sensual dances. Although most of them are playfully fun, there's still that little sensual bit in all of them, and mum's not to pleased with it... She thinks I'm too young to be doing some of them.) Of course, the interesting thing about my mum is that she did tap and ballet when she was younger... Totally different styles, I know, but it's still dance, so you'd think she'd be a bit happier for me... *shrugs*

Dad's been on my side for most of it though! Which I'm happy for. 'Cause he jokes with me about things like the Latin hip motion and stuff, so he's sorta adapting to it in his own way. Which is cool... Until he and my mother start making fun of my (cute) dance teacher and me... Dad keeps reminding me to remember where the "scapula" is, as opposed to the opposite side... ...And to make sure that my techer knows it as well! :oops: :x :oops:

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
  14. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: Okay, hold up a second. Does anyone, who is old enough to remember :lol: the video for the song "lambada", remember it? Sakura, if your mum thinks you are too young to be dancing the 'latin dances' she will lock you in your room if she ever saw the lambada/the video :lol: The interesting thing is that there were some really young dancers on the video (9/10 years old, if so much?). To me, if I had to rank them in terms of hip action I would place the lambada WAY above what you would be doing in the rumba, cha cha or the Dancesport version of samba :lol:
  15. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Heck, Pacion, I'd lock Sakura up before I let her do lambada! The ballroom Latin and Rhythm dances are pretty darn tame....
  16. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Somehow, I get the feeling that if you all met my teacher, then I'd NEVER dance again! (He's probably the reason why she doesn't want me doing Latin hip motion!! :lol: :lol: I *KNOW* he's the reason why Dad keeps reminding me to remember where my scapula is! :x :) ) :lol: :wink: It's great to be loved by you guys; just don't threaten to lock me up! :lol: 8) *breaks out a fan and fake sighs* I couldn't *stand* to be locked up and not dance! *bats the eyelashes for effect: :roll:

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
  17. Nammerz

Nammerz New Member

I haven't told my parents yet and I've been taking lessons for over 2 years. I just know that they'll say I'm just wasting money and I don't need to deal with any hassle from them. But it makes me happy and that's all that matters.
  18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Well put a bachata on and dance with me. Then we'll see how close lambada comes to bachata. A little bit sensual!! :shock: Street latin can easily be very sensual, flirty, romatic. For instance, I tell people whom I dance merengue with this is a flirting dance, look at me, see how I come close and move away. See how we look at eaah other, I spin you so we cannot see each other for a moment and then again we see each other...the transformation is striking. Rhumba...I tend to do international style for LA or slot style dancers, and American style for cuban/circular dancing. Oh man. Then there is cha cha, and of course salsa....

I agree that ballroom latin is a lot tamer then street latin. :wink: :)
  19. Hank

Hank Member

My parents have seen me dance on video, but never in person. They have only two reactions: 1) they are mortified by the costumes the women wear at competitions (the shameless hussies); and 2) they can't understand why, after over 15 years of dancing, I still take lessons every week. "Haven't you learned how to dance, yet?"
  20. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

My Parents are happy whenever I am :lol: :lol: :lol:

They have 2 dancers in the family and they are proud of us both, they will see us dance "properly" (ie- not practicing) tomorrow night :D