Family Support for Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 4, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Good luck on the exhibition. 8) Yes. It's good to have supportive family. Quite a blessing. :D
  2. squirrel

squirrel New Member

good luck, shy dancer!
  3. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I don't get a chance to see my parents very often. They weren't surprised when I told them that I'd taken up salsa dancing, but when I saw them earlier this year, they did seem rather taken aback by the extent of my enthusiasm ("are you going dancing tonight again?") :lol:
  4. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Ok, here is my story which I have not yet shared with my DF family.

Unfortunately for me, the lambada video clip pacion mention, was huge (TV coverage every 5 mins) around the time I started salsa (in fact, my salsa classes started to promote the lambada night :shock: )!

I had just started university, in the city. I have some free time on some days, so initially my parents just assumed that I was at uni. Then I had to tell them (all the while stressing that the lessons were free) because I needed to practise during the week with my partner (who was a ballroom wiz kid) for the competition.

When the whole deal (partnership et al) fell through, I started going social dancing (where I met my salsa mentor/ex) & going to group lessons with the Fabio Robles, the guy who brought "Street Latin" into the limelight in Melbourne.

My parents were not happy at all with all these, especially with the late clubbing hours. Expenses were just part of their excuse.........because of the lambada fame, the "Street Latin" appears too sexy, therefore improper, to my otherwise really cool parents ("........why couldn't you have picked ballet or ballroom instead?..........What are we gonna tell our friends/relatives?").

Then things got from bad to worse, as my dancing improved & I got more involved in the Latino community. I nearly got myself kicked out of home, got grounded, and finally, got ordered by Mum that if I was going to keep those hours, I had to get a boyfriend :shock: (ie. someone to keep an eye on me while I was out so I didn't turn into a bad girl :roll: ); which turned out to be a really bad idea, but it did save my dance life & kept my parents reasonably tolerant somehow.

They never even shown much interest in my progress. I think Mum only came to one student show, the very first one I did with El Washing Machine. Only because I made a big fuss about how important it was for me......I think she took 4 pictures & just couldn't wait to get out of there :roll: !

Fifteen years on, they are still not 100% supportive. When the Cuban show "Lady Salsa" was in town, I got them some tickets.......they were polite enough to go, but I still don't know what they truly think of it :? .

This is probably why I put in so much effort into my dancing........apart from my life-long passion for salsa as a lifestyle, could it be a deep yearning to win acceptance/approval (from the world) if I cannot get it from my parents......?

Boy, am I getting philosophical.......nah, change the music :p , going dancing now!
  5. Sakura

Sakura New Member

The lines are formin'! 8) :wink:

Hmm... That's actually not so far-fetched to me... :D Have fun dancing! :D

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
  6. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I was showing (standard) comp video to appreciating relatives the other night, when my mom (who went along to a comp this spring) decided to share her view on latin costumes...
  7. pygmalion

LOL! I can only guess what she might have said, if she's anything like my Mom. :shock: :argue:
  8. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:x Ooh... I share Pygmalion's view on this! You came out of it okay though, right? :)

9. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Oh, my mum's used to such things. She hasn't looked startled about any of my extracurricular activities since I explained to her what Iaido is.... :D

Cheers
    Sarah
  10. pygmalion

Hi, Sarah! :D
  11. Jmatthew

Jmatthew New Member

My father was completely indifferent.

My step-mother freaked out and wanted my dad to bitch me out and made my life hell for a few months over it, but she does that over any non-work related activity that takes more than 15 minutes of time out of your day, so it wasn't much of a suprise.

My mother thinks its the neatest, cutest thing ever. I'm not sure how much I like that either, but it's better than the constant crap my step-mom gave me. :)

And Sakura, you're too cute for words. ;)
  12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Japanese swordmanship. Hah!! That is not as provocative as dancing. I'm telling you I was doing hip rolls with the ladies yesterday night in salsa and merengue and excited them no end. :roll: :) So now veils, combs, hip rolls...got to get in some more of those body shakey moves in. :wink:
  13. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Iaido!?!?!? No way!!!!! You're so lucky! ...We don't have any Iaido schools around here! *pouts* Ne, Iaido is the swordstyle of attacking an enemy that has snuck up on you in a series of moves (a minimum number, right?) that eventually leads to the sword being returned to its sheath, correct?

:D :twisted: :D I like swords and watch the History channel waaaaaaaay too much, I'm thinking... =^__^=;; (Too bad my parents would *never* let me order swords, much less take a class while I'm in their house... :cry: Ah, well... I'll learn someday! :D I always thought Iaido was really cool... Lots of control needed though. Sounds like a good challenge.)

JM: Mouuuu?? *blinks* How am I too cute for words?? 8) (But I don't mind taking the compliment anyway... =^_~=)

*waves little flags Python style* Yay, hip rolls! :wink: 8) I take it you're having lots of fun aren't you Sagitta? :lol: 8)

14. Sagitta

Hmm, maybe too much fun? I think one of these days salseras will think my dancing a little too spicy. :)
  15. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Well, then you'll have to find Salseras who like spicy things, ne? :D 8) If that fails, I'm sure you could put up a dance on Ebay or something... :roll: Makes for an interesting thought... *muses* :wink:

16. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

My parents actually were the ones that started me with dancing, because I was only 9 at the time. To this day I have not heard my mother (dad died when I was 16 and not dancing anymore) tell me what she thinks other than commenting on the fact that I am happier now that I have started again. She helps with costumes, and while other people comment (usually negatively) on the skimpy costumes that dancers usually wear, she tells them that if that is what I want, she'll help me make it.

I was a bit annoyed when she wouldn't come to see my big performance night, but it was quite expensive and she is on an old age pension and can't afford much. So I thought OK, not a big problem. When I showed her the video of it, she watched in absolute silence, no facial expression, nothing. I was a bit disappointed, but have gotten to the point that I am happy with what I am doing and while I would prefer that she was enthusiastic about what I am passionate about, I no longer feel rejected because she isn't.

I was quite surprised when she told me two days before she was to leave on a trip to see some relatives, that she wanted to buy a copy from the studio so that she could show me off to the relatives. :eek: So I took that to mean that she is very proud, just unable to express it.
  17. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Pretty much right. Usually translated as the art of sword drawing. The kata do tend to be short and :) sharp.
    Oh there are schools out there.... I didn't start until after I left home though. The school loaned me a better iaito (practice sword) than any I could afford.

Cheers
    Sarah <Waves 'Hi Pyg'>
  18. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:? :oops: :? I'm sorry to hear about your father d_f! It's nice that your mum helps you out with your costumes and whatnot though, right?

:) Her asking about getting a copy of the tape brought a smile to my face though. =^__^= That's nice.

19. Sakura

Sakura New Member

I have no problem with short and sharp... :twisted: :wink:

:lol: That's always funny, isn't it? When the school lends you something better than you could get on your own? :)

I can't wait to find a school -- but I searched around the internet -- there don't seem to be any around here in IN. Might be one or two, but they're *WAAAAAY* far away from me.

Thanks for the info Sarah! :D

20. Sagitta

Very right d_f. There are some people who find it hard to express their emotions, for one reason or another. It is tough when that happens as we don't get the feedback that we desire. For instance, my dad is old school, not very expressive, doesn't say much, especially when contratsed with Mae. As a young kid I used to wonder about him. As I grew up I saw that he expressed his love in other ways. He would almost always give us anything we wanted and sacrifice things he wanted for himself, he really likes talking about his kids and all they have done....And now as Pae has become older it is starting to show it more and more. :)