Family Support for Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 4, 2003.

1. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

Mum has always helped with my costumes, even as a kid. I know that is one part of my dancing that I can always ask her for help, even if it is like pulling teeth at times!!

I am due to pick her up from the train station this weekend when she comes home from her trip. I believe she has showed anyone and everyone the video so it should be interesting to get the feedback. She'll normally express her own thoughts, but say it was from someone else, so I'll find out that way!
  2. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Thank You :D

I was very nervous actually and I made a bit of a mistake in my cha cha routine, thankfully I managed to save myself with some improvisation and no one but my teacher noticed!
    Then he decided to have some fun with me halfway through my Mambo routine and lead me into other moves :lol: :lol: It was a lot of fun though, and it really helped my nerves, by the time my 3rd dance came around I was itching to get out there again!
    My sister did well too and we have inspired our Mother to come and take a standard class!
  3. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:) I'm glad to hear you did all right, Shy Dancer! Way to go!
  4. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Yeah - it's not what you'd call a mainstream art, and teachers may not advertise widely - you could try asking at martial arts supply shops, or may be ask at aikido dojos - the arts are loosely related and the people involved will often know (of) each other. Good luck!

Cheers
    Sarah
  5. PunkDancer

PunkDancer New Member

Sorry but I thought I would bring this topic back, Just so I could share my story with you.
    My family doesn't support my dancing, they think its stupid that I am taking classes. They don't relly even know what I do. They have never seen me dance. They don't even know how good I am. I don't even bother to tell them any thing because they always have something negative to say. They think I am going to be a screw-up in life. But thats ok. I'll prove them wrong... They never support any thing I do. ....Actually now that I think abot it -no one has been real supportive, I have been dancing with nobodys' support. Other then fellow dance mates. :cry:

but I am still going to dance I just at least want them to see what I can do.
  6. Waltz Lover

Waltz Lover New Member

In general, my parents approve, because 'ballroom dancing' has such a positive, higher-class sound to it. But then mom (real old-fashioned) saw me practising cuban motion in the kitchen - her face was comical! I don't think she actually approves of the hip wiggle.

If I ask dad, he says it looks stupid for the woman's head to be so far to the left in smooth (which is my favorite category *shrug* oh well).

My sister does a lot of free-style dance for her church and fully supports me. She is much older and its great now we talk about dance together. Even though hers tends to be more ballet-oriented, body positioning, balance, and so much more are in common.

My friends are the best - showing up at a showcase as a surprise to watch me!

All in all, I do it for myself - the pure enjoyment of blending body movement to music and sharing that with a partner.
  7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

My parents sometimes worry that I am neglecting the other areas of my life. I don't have anyone who really is against me dancing, talks about it in a disparaging manner, or puts it down. I guess I'm luck that my entire family (blood and social, including non-dancing) always has been supportive of me.
  8. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I know how it feels when everyone in your family thinks your dancing is a waste of time... :( :(

I had only one person who was extremaly supportive, and pretty much if it wasn't for him, I would have never started, nor continued..
  9. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

I started ballroom dancing as a rebound thing. ;)

My parents thought it was a phase that I was going through and that I'd "give up on that just like everything else". HA HA HA

Now, so many years later, they are happy that I've found a hobby I love and a good husband, to boot, lol! 8) And it never wouldn't have happened if it weren't for ballroom dancing.
  10. Vin

Vin New Member

After seeing me dance at christmas my parents asked me if I have been studying math or salsa the last few years.
    For me it has ceased to become an issue, I live far enough away from my parents that they don't try and influence my day-to day life anymore. I actually could not imagine having parents that really tried to exert influence on me and my spare time. As long as I am not doing anything unhealthy or dangerous they are fine.
    Actually when I come home they don't want me going to the salsa clubs by myself because there "is alot of drugs in the scene". Oh well.
  11. PunkDancer

PunkDancer New Member

I basically do it for myself also - Its an escape for me.
    I don't live with any family - just people that I consider family...which has been more supportive then my real siblings. I moved out at age 15(two days after I turned). and have been doing great. I'll be going to 4 year university and I am going to start looking in to The Edge Performing Arts Center in Los Angeles. But I still see my family alot. I have a lot of things going on in my life and with out dance I'd be lost!!! Its what helps me get through the day, theres no worries, no depression, no drama. Its like a dream and feels so surreal to me. I dance when ever I need to escape reality.
  12. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

13. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

I had a conversation with my dad yesterday which really upsets me :cry: .

"Where do you think your dancing in gonna take you?" he asked,

".....say, you've become the best dancer out there. So what? What can you do with that?"

All I ever wanted was to dance.....and if I was ever in something major, I would like my parents to actually be there because they want to, not because I asked them :roll: .
  14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to you SC. :friend: Tough when parents don't support you when what you would like is their support, their unconditional understanding. The understanding that all parents should give to their children: that love of a father for his daughter, a mother for her son. At one point in time I felt this need to be something they would be proud of, even though they didn't ask me! :roll: Now I know that is not necessary, for me.

There is a saying: "The most difficult thing about life is living with oneself." Very true in many respects. For me the answer to the question would be: Where the heart and where the soul is, that's where! Where living life to the fullest is all about. There are too many miserable people in the world. People who do things because they should, or to feel materially secure, or....I want to experience the world in all it's glory and all it's misery - the joy, the people, the activities. We are but here an instant in the vast scheme of things. Ants making long journeys, which we sometimes are fortunate to share with others part of the way: family, friends, marriage mates...dfers :wink:
  15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

How was the movie? I haven't gotten around to seeing it, but, if it's good, I can buy it pay-per-view. No plans for tonight... yet. :roll: :lol:
  16. PunkDancer

PunkDancer New Member

Yeah that movie was ok I guess. Even though her mother wanted her to do ballet more then hiphop, But at least her mother aproved of her dancing.
  17. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

I liked it. Movies like that are never known for great acting or plot; but I think it's a really sweet movie (or an extended video clip :wink: ).

Some great dancing, beautiful people & I LOVE her wardrobe....! That girl dress similarly to me.

Anyway, back to topic :oops: . Yep, she has supportive parents, who are proud of her dancing. Mine are still struggling with the idea :roll: . You'd think 15 yrs later I would have earnt it by now, huh *shrug*?
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I think my mom & dad(long divorced) get a kick out of seeing me writhe to latin music whenever we are on vacation together. They are aware that I have always been into doing strenuous exercise and like to wear sexy clothes, so when I let them know I was getting into latin dance, this didn't seem to surprise them. :D
  19. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:) I don't know... they don't think it is worth the effort I'm going thorugh... but as long as I'm happy they're happy!
  20. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

I don't have any family support for my dancing.

My SO (now ex), hated my dancing. When he saw me dance, he hated it even more. To this day he believes we would still have been together if it hadn't been for my dancing (he's wrong).

My parents are not as negative about it as he (my mum danced when she was at college), but when I visited them earlier this year (we live in the opposite ends of the world so to speak), they seemed to think I was going out dancing a bit too often for their liking (3 lunchtime classes and 4 nights over 3 weeks didn't seem too much to me... :oops:). They've never seen me dance. I do wonder if that would make any difference one way or the other...