Family Support for Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 4, 2003.

1. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

My parents are supportive when they see I'm happy. They don't like the fact that I went to college for one thing and am now doing a career that is completely unrelated. My mom recently came to a showcase performance, after I invited her time and time again, and realized how much work and time I put into this. She was pretty amazed. At the same time, she realizes I gave up the security, income, and benefits of the job I had before, which led her to believe that I'm not being smart about what I'm doing now.

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

My family and friends have been pretty supportive. The worst I get is the occasional mild bemusement: "A dancer? You?" :rolleyes:

3. lcdancesport

Yeah people that I've gone to school with in the past would never have guess I would become a dancer. I was a shy girl back in the day and now that has turned around since I can express myself through dance.

My relatives are interested in what I do with dance, my grandparents question me a lot asking if I'm saving up money for "important" things or emergencies. I think they think I'm going through a phase that I'm having fun while I'm young.

The one good thing that has happened with dance is developing a leaner, more toned body. Growing up my grandparents made comments about my weight that made me uncomfortable. I was never overweight, but I wasn't very active either because I had a desk job, you're average joe. Now that I'm in dancer shape, my grandparents tell me to eat more. lol

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Can definitely identify with this one, though not quite in dancer shape yet. though I'll vouch for lcdancesport being so. ;)

5. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

My parents are kinda supportive but I don't think they really understand what it takes to dance competitively.

6. QPO

QPO New Member

My family are proud on my dancing, my mother now does it socially, my daughter can do some of the dances and when her studies reduce is keen to give it ago with her partner. Only know one person who does not tell her mother as she does not dance with her husband but with a work colleague, her mother would not understand (80-ish) according to her.

7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Speaking of family support, mum's just come and told me that I'm doing too much, and that I can't do evrything I want to do at the moment. She's basically telling to to put dancing on hold for a few years until I finish school, and just social dance and stay at the level I'm at now. It is not going to happen. She thinks it's just a hobby I guess, but I don't think she quite understands how much I want to improve and be able to dance well. She says, 'you can't be a straight A student, have a job, do archery, do dancing, and do music'

I've been doing it that way for half a year, and the only problem is with my job. I can't drop it because I have to pay for archery and extra dance classes, and soon a car, but it keeps clashing with dance.
    I think if I keep up these classes with the extra studio she's not going to be supportive at all.

8. Bella

Bella New Member

That's a very good point to consider. My mom was a serious ballerina in her early teenage years, so she can understand - but only to a point. My parents do not live life on the seat of their dreams like I do. Yet, they are supportive.

This makes me happy, and that makes them happy.

9. dancepro

dancepro New Member

My parents did social dancing when I first started dancing. They were therefore supportive of my dancing the first many years. When I came and told them that I was going to move to England, my mother was very upset. She asked me what I was going to do about my education. I told her that I could always go back to school even if I was 70 years old before returning to school, but that there was a time limited on the dancing. She agreed that it was probably best for me to get the dancing out of my system and then go back to school.

I didn't get the education that I was intended on, in my young years, but I did get a very similar education some 10 years ago. Today that education is how I make my main income and the dancing is my passion, that I continue to do, because I enjoy it.

Now, my mother has all the DVDs of my dancing and is today happy that I did it that way around namely; dancing first, education second.

Dancepro

10. Bella

Bella New Member

That's the one thing my parents really appreciated - education first; taking dancing seriously second. Of course, I beg to differ. ;)

11. Bella

Bella New Member

Well, it is the reason how my expenses for dancing is comfortably supported... so I can't complain. :)

12. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

I agree with DP and Bella ...

I encourage my kids to find their passion, to follow it and nourish it. Whether they go to college or not, they are young once, find what makes them happy and go from there.

May be backwards thinking for a parent. BUT I want my kids to not wake up at 40 one day and go ..."WHAT DID I DO WITH MT LIFE???"

That is sorta what I am feeling now and why I am seriously grabbing a hold of dance with both hands and holding on for dear life. LOL

13. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Uh, well...

Have you considered quitting archery (?) and music? Is the car necessary? If dance is what you want to do, but you are doing too much with a job and archery and music and dance, then maybe something DOES have to go. Are the other two as important? Because you really cannot "do it all" without eventually burning out and/or running out of money.

14. tanya_the_dancer

You know, as a parent I am somewhat torn on this issue. I want him to find something he enjoys, but at the same time I want him to become self-supporting and not struggle financially, and if something he enjoys is not very profitable, then what?

My life situation is such that my passion and what I do for a living are not the same thing. And most of the time I'm fine with that. But I wonder sometimes what it would feel like when you're passionate about your job.

15. lcdancesport

Mom?? Just kidding. That is pretty much verbatim with my mom. I gave up my secure, comfy job and threw everything into teaching dance instead. It hasn't been the smoothest path, but it is much more enjoyable.

16. tanya_the_dancer

:) No, but I guess a lot of parents are alike. I have a teenage son. He is good with computers and I suppose I could sort of steer him in this direction, but I know that in doing so I will be pushing him towards the same path I took years ago, which put me into my current situation when my job is something that pays for my dancing and other bills, and dancing is something I truly enjoy, and would do it full-time if I could afford it. I kinda wish that he finds himself, I guess, but at the same time, I don't want him to stay in my wallet for the rest of my life while he is figuring out what he wants to do.

17. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Well... my sons think it's a little silly, my daughter thinks it's fine. They all have given me studio gift cards though at one time or another. My parents and brother are deceased, my dog doesn't care.

18. lcdancesport

FYI, that is exactly what I went to school for- computers! I just couldn't handle being a drone at a desk all day long. I found I really enjoy working with people face to face. :doh: Live and learn.

19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

This drone peeks in and moves on. :p

20. lcdancesport

Get back to work! :p