Fascinating barrida/leg-carress hybrid - Watch video

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dren, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dren

Dren New Member

Hey everyone.

I was looking through various random tango videos and saw this great video of a unique barrida style move that I've never seen anywhere else. It's basically a barrida combined with a masculine leg caress. It's a pretty cool move.

Take a look. Search for "Roberto Herrera - tango lesson" on YouTube and watch the video that matches the search string exactly.

Is this a widely known move or embellishment? (I'm new so I don't really know)
  2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Never saw that variant before, really cute. But honestly, I also watched an Herrera vid now for the first time, too. There are so many excellent dancers and the vocabulary actually is unlimited. Think everything is possible (especially in stage tango style) and everyone will start figuring out his own little tricks. I have a similar one, but with the other leg and in shadow position.
  3. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

That's cute. New to me. Probably wouldn't use it though unless I knew the person well. Heh.

Technical breakdown: A barrida is 90% illusion. He is leading her to take the step with his body, then following her leg with his foot, moving down her leg.
  4. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Member

I appreciate Herreras moves; he has often his own quality in them. I can only recall Fernando Snachez (i think it was him) using similar barrida so it is not common.

To do this kind of caressing comes with some risks; tights breakdown doesn't make you popular in a milonga.
  5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Beautiful. Very sexy, and an interesting twist on the usual gender roles. Me like.

I wonder what it feels like.
  6. Gssh

Gssh Active Member

And neither does the male equivalent: babypowder/cornstarch smudges covering your pantlegs from hips to hem...

Gssh
  7. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

for those who don't want to do the YT search:

uggghhh I hate that. There's a follower I avoid (for 1 reason) because she seems to think the term "lustrada" which is usually translated as "shoe shine" means (as she has said) "clean your shoes". She wipes her sole against the pants leg.

Roberto Herrera is a skilled and exciting performer. In workshops I've taken with him he taught a sequence that travelled from one end of the floor to the other. Not usually workable in tne milongas I attend. This sequence is more compact.
  8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

What is his educational focus? Technique, sequences, choreo, social dancing, musicality, lifts? Think he is famous for his fast technique. I do not like most of his choreos because it´s more or less running around and mapping of sixteenth notes.
  9. jfm

jfm Active Member

oh my god i am just laughing at the image of that dear lady doing some kind of bicycle leg action on the front of his leg. Why on earth is she using the sole of her shoe? What the heck?
  10. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out HOW she would use the sole of her shoe on his leg.. that seems like a really awkward position for the leg. (and wouldn't you risk getting your heel caught in the fabric?)