Favorite Smooth Couple

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Meagan, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

I tried searching old threads for this but failed miserably. I'm trying to find some good open smooth videos and was wondering if anyone could recommend their favorite couples (or even videos)? Or maybe point me to a thread where this has already been listed...

Preferably it would be a video of one couple (like a showdance) cause I frequently find it difficult to focus when its a whole smooth final/semi~just too much going on for me. It's a somewhat new interest of mine so I'd appreciate any help :p Any open will do (this all started with me trying to find a vid of an old amateur couple I liked so amateur/pro/pro-am doesn't matter)

Thanks! :D

2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I think that there are some nice comp videos of Larinda with one of her students who is a DF member, so not sure if his real name is "outed" or not. Searching for her name on youtube should bring them up.

3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

you could search youtube for the america's ballroom challenge smooth segments and show dances...

4. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Great idea! Unfortunately, so many of the smooth show dances weren't smooth. :( But there should be enough for a starting point. And with any luck, the related videos will be to the same smooth couples!

5. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

6. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

There are some great videos here. ;)

7. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

i love how ben and shalene ermis dance. Don't mind Tony Meredith's mistake in saying they start out with a social foxtrot :rolleyes:

8. Josh

Josh Active Member

It is a social, laid-back rock or two to set the mood, much like foxtrot, and does well in entering the dance. What else would you call it?

9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

That is such a sad interpretation of that showdance. The camera angles totally cut off the story line... which was her taking off his competition number from his back in the beginning and putting it in his pocket. At the end she removes it from his pocket and drops it on the floor... It was there retirement dance.

10. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

This performance was truly beautiful and touching in person!! A shame the video couldn't capture it all (but I suppose videos never really do).

Thanks for all the recommendations :) and thanks to those that shared their favorite couples~would love to have some of people's favorite current couples so I can keep my eye out for them in the future as well!!

11. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Mikhail and Galina are really graceful.

12. bowman500

bowman500 Member

OK, I have to comment on this thread. I have to say my darling daughter Stephanie Michelle and her new partner Matt Brown from Laguna Niguel.... Only because I'm the mom. They will be dancing for the first time together at San Diego Dancesport Championships. woooohoooo.
    Then Toni Redpath and Michael Mead!!!!! would come in a close second.

13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

bowman, Yeah, Michael and Toni aren't bad, I must say! ;)

14. middy

middy Well-Known Member

JT and Thomas, and Mayo and Michelle are lovely.

15. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

Christopher Allen and Elona Bets
    there were some old videos of them on MIT website, around 2004-05
    she wore a purple dress

16. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Wow, Larinda, I have watched that showdance about a hundred times -- knowing this makes it all the more special!!!

17. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Agreed, I love them too!

18. dancedanceevolution

dancedanceevolution New Member

I suggest keeping an eye on a hot new couple winning a lot of rising star and pro events, Kirill Gorjatsev and Olga Chekhova. I am totally biased. :D

19. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

A rock or two? ;) lolz... idk, i think bronze step-step-step together when i think social foxtrot. but i guess thats just me.

Larinda, thanks for the insight! i never knew that... i guess that's what happens when you dont get to see it in person. :(

20. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I was at OSB that year and watched it live. It was beautiful.