Favorite Waltz Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Does any one know if "Watermark" by Enya is a waltz-able song? I listened to a sample clip and it sounded like it occaisonally changes from 3/4 to a 4/4 time. I could be wrong. I was wondering if some one with the ablum might know.

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Some off-the-beaten-path favorites, part 1

From The Great Waltz, by Childsplay—most are very folk-ish:
    Tourner a Trois
    The Great Waltz of China (very Eastern harmonies)
    Buster Keaton (very heavily syncopated)
    Cue’s Mug
    Hoekper’s Vals
    April Waltz

From The Lover’s Waltz, by Jay Ungar—very folk-ish:
    Give Me Your Hand
    The Lover’s Waltz Duet
    Legends of the Fall
    The Mountain House

From Classics, by Sarah Brightman:
    Alhambra
    O Mio Babbino Caro (this is the version with the strictest tempo that I’ve found)

From Careless Love, by Madeline Peyroux—both moderately syncopated:
    Between the Bars
    Weary Blues

3. Peaches

Some off-the-beaten-path favorites, part 2

--A Natural Woman, by Aretha Franklin (30 Greatest Hits)
    --Not What You See, by Savatage (Dead Winter Dead)—from a m-e-t-a-l opera
    --She’s Leaving Home, by The Beatles (Sgt. Peppers…)
    --Sad Songs and Waltzes, by Cake (Fashion Nugget)
    --Blue Spanish Sky, by Chris Isaak (Heart Shaped World)
    --Run for the Roses, by Dan Fogelberg (The Innocent Age)
    --Take it to the Limit, by the Eagles (The Very Best Of…)
    --Open Arms, by Journey (Journey’s Greatest Hits)
    --Since I’ve Been Loving You, by Led Zeppelin (boxed set, disk 2)
    --Be Here to Love Me, by Norah Jones (Feels Like Home)
    --Come Away with Me, by Norah Jones (Come Away with Me)
    --Souvenir, by Paul McCartney (Flaming Pie)
    --Irlandaise, by Rampal & Bolling (Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano)—beautiful, lyrical and different
    --A Man You Don’t Meet Everyday, by Shane McGowan & The Pogues (???)
    --Scarborough Fair/Canticle, by Simon & Garfunkel (Greatest Hits)
    --My Skin, by Natalie Merchant (Ophelia)—some debate has been had about if it’s actually a v. waltz, I love it as a very fast waltz, I love the contrast b/t the actual temp and how slow it sounds
    --Tristesse D’un Tango, by Quartango (Macadam Tango)—technically it’s an AT vals, but it works nicely as a waltz, some rubato

4. dgcasey

dgcasey New Member

I did a piano recital with this piece a few years ago and remember it being quite lovely. In answer to your question about the meter for this song, it never changes to 4/4 time, so on the surface, it could be "waltz-able." But, those changes you're hearing are tempo changes. That song has a very fluid idea about tempo. You could use it for a showcase, I guess, but I wouldn't try to use it in a social dance setting. You'll drive the dancers crazy.

;)

5. dgcasey

dgcasey New Member

One of my favorite pieces right now for waltz is Adiemus by Karl Jenkins. I'm adding it to my My Music page.

6. atk

atk Active Member

Just wanted to add In the Garden, by Brad Paisley.

7. avab

avab New Member

There are a few doctored versions of 'Watermark', which are very good, strict tempo ballroom songs. One is on one of the Bill & Bobbie Irvine Awards cds by Prandi (I forget which volume), and one is on a German cd and hence is titled 'Watermarck'. Try searching at dancetrax for them.

The original Enya song is beautiful and has occasional changes from 3/4 to 5/4 timing. I saw Nick Cotton & Debbie Avalos do a show to it when the album was first release, and it was amazing.

8. Paul F

Paul F New Member

I have to second the version of "Come away with me" by Norah Jones.

Also I have recently taken a liking to a track called "Surrender". Im not sure who the vocalist is but its on this album - http://www.wrdmusic.com/details.asp?PID=943

I have also got an acapella track of "Amazing Grace" sung by, I believe, R Kelly. Its a sensational track. Its not strict tempo and it has breaks in it but its a beautiful version.

9. O Mio Babbino Caro is a beautiful song, but there are way too many tempo changes. Sarah Brightman is good but is one of my least favorite. She's to snobbish and too much of a diva. I cringe when she hits the high notes.

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

a reminder of our wonderful music favorites selection at the top of the page

11. Peaches

Yeah, I'm not sold on Sarah Brightman, but I'm willling to overlook her in order to be able to dance to that song. Like I said, hers is the strictest tempo version I've found.

12. Marli

Marli New Member

Josh Groban's new album "Awake" (*swoon*) has a beautiful waltz on it called "So She Dances." :)

13. marktheshark

marktheshark New Member

Dunno if it has been mentioned but "I have nothing"
    by Whitney Houston is pretty intense...

14. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

That would be a caffeinated Waltz (aka Viennese Waltz) :p

15. marktheshark

marktheshark New Member

Didn't they do a waltz (not viennese) with this song in DWTS Season 1?

It was Kelly and Alec, if I remember correctly.

16. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

Yeah they did--but it was much slower than the original.

17. I think I read somewhere that Una Furtiva Lagrima by Puccini is in a 3/4 time signature meter. I have a question on a couple of other Pavarotti piece, Recondita Armonia (Puccini) and Torna a Surriento (De Curtis). Are those two also in 3/4 time signature? or do they switch back and forth to 4/4 as it sometimes seem to me.

18. Love2Dance

Love2Dance New Member

One of my favorites is by Melissa Manchester, "In a Perfect World".

I found it in the album "Let's Dance: The Best of Ballroom Foxtrots and Waltzes".

19. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Saddle the Wind
    Dark Waltz
    Flying
    Rudy

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Hard to tell about Recondita, but the other two are. Although unless they've been strict-tempoed the tempo changes make them really hard to dance to.