Favorite Waltz Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Feb 22, 2004.

1. liangjz

liangjz New Member

Ok... I really like

Dark Waltz performed by Hayley Westenra, but who are the artists that perform the other songs you recommended.

So far, for example, I've found Rage's performance of "Saddle the Wind", but i'm guessing that's not what you meant.
  2. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Flying is by Cait Agus Sean (sp?)
    You can hear it (and see it danced too) here
    [yt]SGzDaVLOGLQ[/yt]
  3. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Flying

There's a version at the right tempo for standard on Casa Musica's The Best of Ballroom Vol 22.
  4. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

through the use of tempo changing freeware audacity when needed, i now regularly use the following songs (at anywhere from 90-120 BPM):

junk, dear someone - sara gazarek
    hit the ground, reaching for the moon - lizz wright
    lucky - bif naked
    a day goes by - shao rong
    being in love - diana krall
    between - vienna tang
    come away with me - norah jones
    meeting of tribes (with drum opening snipped out) - baka beyond
    you and me - lifehouse
  5. danceislove

danceislove New Member

"you and me - lifehouse" is a great viennese waltz
  6. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Yes, every time I hear it on the radio I want to dance.

Also love:

Nino Rota- The Godfather's Waltz
    Josh Groban- So She Dances
    Hayley Westenra- Dark Waltz (as mentioned above)
  7. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

unfortunately, so she dances is almost 5 minutes long. trimming out the intro brings it down to 4:30 which is probably ok but i'd hate to dj a lot of songs that long - that would bring it down to only 13 dances in a hour. i aim for about 16/hr or 4 every 15 minutes.
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I like...for VW...iris by the goo goo dolls...and I keep falling by alicia keyes
  9. Josh

Josh Active Member

"The Truth" by Si*Sé is maybe the most sensual sounding VW I have ever heard... it sends chills down my spine...

btw fasc, the Alicia Keys song is just called "Fallin'" ... I had not heard it before but when I searched iTunes for it I discovered that that's the name. :) It's like the song I mentioned above, if you were going to dance to it at a more reasonable tempo you'd have to slow it down maybe 3-4 percent to get it to international tempo, and even further for american. Both HOT songs ! :) Oh, and I did a show number to Iris once--it's so pretty!
  10. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Ohhhhhh I love it! Where have I heard it before? It sounds so familiar :rolleyes:
  11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oooh...love "Fallin'" by Alicia Keys...dance AT to that quite frequently.

For VW, I love "La Del Ruso" by Gotan Project (love how odd it is, and the syncopation, and the unbelievable swing to the music).

I also love "Will and Elizabeth" from the Pirates of the Caribbean score (the first one). It would work for a showcase, but not social dancing, because there are either two or three spots where it switches from 3/4 to 2/4. Again, I love the syncopation. (Actually, a lot of the music from the Pirates scores is in compound meter.)

Edit to add: A drawback to a lot of the Pirates stuff that's in 6/8 is that it's not uncommon for the music to switch from emphasizing the two sets of three, to emphasizing three sets of two. One of the wonderful pitfalls of 6/8 stuff that makes it so intriguing.
  12. Josh

Josh Active Member

?
  13. danceislove

danceislove New Member

I just thought it sounded really familiar like someone did a showdance to it or something, or maybe it was played at a comp..idk
  14. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i like tom lehrer's "S-N (snore sniff & sneeze)" - but it's an acquired taste to be sure.
  15. Josh

Josh Active Member

Oh ok--well I most recently heard it a couple of weeks ago at a comp, and I'm sure it's been done (maybe overdone?), but I still love it :)
  16. pnoisette

pnoisette New Member

Two for You

Dance of Light by Nicholas Gunn form the Great Smoke Mountain CD.

Just did a showcase waltz with The Chairmans' Waltz from the movie Memoirs of a Geisha. It had to be slowed down but the melody is lovely. Both available from Itunes and you can buy the individual cuts at 99 cents!
  17. Pirate Smith

Pirate Smith Member

I could use some help

I have been trying to update.. and I mean UPDATE.. the Waltz Music... my teacher uses.... If I have to dance to "The Story of Tina" one more time.. the world will be short one dance instructor.. most of the suggestions here.. are for experienced dancers.. now I personally have liked many or the Waltz's posted ...but I keep getting.. "not strong enough tempo to teach to.. etc...etc..etc..".... any up to date.. modern clear tempi Waltz's I could download or suggest.. Thank you Priate Smith.

Also .. he has a thing about songs lasting over 3.5 minutes.. I don't know why.. heck he just puts most of them on continuous replay.. gawd.. how I hate Elvis..

rejected Waltz's so far..
    Alleghany Moon of Anne Murray.. ( my personal fav)
    True Love
    Dancin like Lovers.. D. Warwick
    Close Enough
    Secret Love Anne Murray again.. I think he has a thing against A. Murray...
    Anything by Secret Gardens... what just because you have to have some style/musicality, to dance to these.. whats the problem...

get the idea of where I am/was trying to go..

Thank you ... Pirate Smith
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

go to top right of our home page and click on the music guide
  19. Kortgawain

Kortgawain New Member

My wife and I really enjoy "Amateur" by Aimee Mann.
  20. Kassia

Kassia New Member