Favorite Waltz Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Grindelwald

Grindelwald New Member

My favourite playlist for waltz would be:

Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome Tonight
    Nat King Cole - Fascination
    Djordje Balasevic - Dodjoska
    Oliver Dragojevic - Vjeruj u ljubav
    Oliver Dragojevic - Vela luka
  2. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

one of my favorite now is "If I Were a Painting" by Kenny Rogers, but be warned, it is slooow, i think it's around 25 bpm. that's what I like though, illegally slow waltzes!
  3. Corne

Corne New Member

My favourite right now is

Antichi Ricordi by Rondo Veneziano ( 29 bpm) 3:50 min
  4. BasicsFirst

BasicsFirst New Member

Yup, I love that one... just not enough else (if anything) on that double CD to get me to buy it. Along cheerful lines, I like 'Distant Melody' from Ballroom Desire (nice show length at 1m 55s), and not as cheerful I really like 'A Moment Lost' from Ballroom Fascination.
  5. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

I sympathise with Pirate Smith about Story of Tina. When i was doing my silver medal classes in 1963, my teacher played "Singing Piano" by Victor Silvester every blasted week: diddly-DEE, diddly-DEE, diddly-DEE, diddly-DUM . . . drove me mad. The record came up on ebay recently and I bought it. It was 49p, and actually is quite a nice tune. I might even play it again in another 45 years time, if I'm still around . . . bit unlikely though.
  6. Ed Simian

Ed Simian New Member

Being partial to rock, in addition to those mentioned by others in this thread (Natural Woman, Take It To The Limit, Are You Lonesome Tonight), my list would include:

Beatles - Here, There and Everywhere
    Byrds - Hickory Wind
    Elvis Presley - Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall
    Flying Burrito Brothers - Sin City
    Jackie Deshannon - What The World Needs Now
    Moody Blues - Go Now (a bit fast)
    Wings - Mull Of Kintyre

I'm not aware of any waltzes by Lancelot Link and the Evolution - but I'll look into it.
  7. davedove

davedove Active Member

If you're not opposed to country music, it's packed with waltzes of different speeds.

Just a few:

Can I Have This Dance - Anne Murray
    Broken Wing - Martina McBride
    You Look So Good in Love - George Strait
    I'm Still a Guy - Brad Paisley
  8. ~Destiny~

~Destiny~ New Member

The theme from the movie "Finding Nemo" actually makes a gorgeous waltz. Specifically, the title of it is: Main Title: Nemo Egg. I'm serious.
  9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

A strict-tempo version is on Dance House's Standard Music 3 CD.
  10. Some guy

Some guy New Member

Not sure if anyone's suggested this yet, but Dreamcatcher by Secret Garden, and Wild Child by Enya are pretty interesting numbers.
  11. Kylie

Kylie New Member

so..

does anyone know of any strictly intramental waltz music? I heard some today, but I forgot to get the name. something really moving would be great :D
  12. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

first, welcome to dance forums.

if you want strictly instrumental and moving, I suggest Apassionata by Secret Garden, it's on a CD called White Stones, track no.9. Be warned, it is very slow, too slow for strict tempo. But boy is it melodic, moving, and extremely waltzable.
  13. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

the correct spelling is Appassionata
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

There is a strict tempo version on the "Ballroom Classics Three" album.
  15. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

I love "The Chairman's Waltz" (John Williams) from Memoirs of a Geisha.
  16. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

do you just dance to the original music? it's kinda fast isn't it, for a waltz?
  17. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

I do use the original version, but not for competition practice. It could be slowed down a bit if you prefer it at strict tempo.
  18. NZ_Guy

NZ_Guy Member

Does anyone know of any artist that plays these tunes in 3/4-time?

• Summertime - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgQUNjn7nt4
    • What a Wonderful World - http://nz.video.yahoo.com/watch/337974/2171459
    • Roma nun fa la stupida stasera (Italian standard) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNDXCopi6ao
  19. Aikimiller

Aikimiller New Member

Well, if you're looking for something a bit extreme on the non-traditional side

Nothing Else Matters, by Metallica.

The version from their S&M album (joint concert with the San Fran Symphony) actually works fairly well.

Also, Moving On, by Rascal Flatts, isn't too bad as long as you don't mind a bit of a twang.