Favorite Waltz Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Feb 22, 2004.

1. EnchantedElla

EnchantedElla New Member

i love all of the empress orchestra waltzes - i think on dancesportuk they have the most recent album.. no vocals.. just beautiful music.

2. Br0nze

Br0nze Member

Nocturne by Secret Garden.
    I don't think it's official tempo, but it's a great and beautiful track.

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

It's certainly gorgeous. But I find that after a couple of tracks by Secret Garden I end up with an urge to cry, slit my wrists, or both. LOL.

4. Nate F.

Nate F. New Member

Oh goodie... And I just got out their CD.... :p

5. Br0nze

Br0nze Member

O my... that's quite unfortunate lol I think Secret Garden's intent is neither one of those! That being said, I must agree with you, and that feeling is exactly why I never play 'Nocture' or 'Songs from...' more than twice (unless I absolutely must).

6. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

"Coney Island" is my favorite waltz. I never get tired of dancing to it. It's instrumental.

7. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Me too! I love that song.

8. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Mine is the theme from the Cider House Rules. Never gets old for me...love starting practice with that one.

9. Nate F.

Nate F. New Member

Viennese Waltz:

"Carrot Juice is murder" by "The Arrogant Worms"

Ya it's not exactly typical ballroom but whatever! :p

10. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

Yeah, Coney Island is pretty good. And it's nice and sloow.

11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh, it's gorgeous alright. And I'm sure that's not their intent. I just tend to find slow waltzes utterly depressing after a while. One time I was somewhere listening to a raft of them together and...yep...ended up crying, completely out of the blue. T'was a most unusual and unsettling moment...glad a friend was around for comfort.

I guess I should point out that I have the same reaction to the St. Elmo's Fire theme. Long story. LOL.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

there are certainly certain waltzed that I do not want to hear...as, on the right day, or the wrong day, they have a watery effect

13. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Certain waltz songs put me to sleep. Lets not do a thread listing those ;)
    I don't learn their names anyway!

You Light Up My Life was the first waltz that ever really moved me. I was dancing with my teacher during a social, I think it was that song, but it just felt like gliding on air. It was so relaxed and effortless. I didn't know where that came from.

Lately it's been anything but relaxed and effortless, not complaining! We're working on it now!

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Favorite Waltz Tunes to Dance To?

What are some of your favorite waltz tunes to dance to? The ones that sweep me along with them include: "Weekend in New England" by Barry Manilow; "Dreaming My Dreams with You" by Alison Krauss. "My Coloring Book" and "Where Is Your Heart" by Percy Faith; "Next Time" and "The Girl with the Sun in Her Hair" by John Barry; various waltzes by Enya (such as "It's in the Rain", "China Roses", "A Moment Lost", "Stars and Midnight Blue", and "Watermark"--though the later has a bit of a tricky rhythm at times); slower renditions of "Come Saturday Morning", such as by the Mystic Moods Orchestra; "Around the World" by Nat King Cole; "Musetta's Waltz"; "Charade" and "Moon River" (of course) by Andy Williams; and so many more! :p

15. bclure

bclure Member

Yvonne Moore's version of "Natural Woman"! The best.

16. kckc

kckc Active Member

that is my favorite also. I have noticed at my social venue that whenever that comes on, no matter how many people are there, the room becomes silent- no talking or moving around of chairs, just people floating around the floor. It is kind of cool when it happens...

for those who aren't sure what that song is (also in the Michigan tourism ads), check it out on youtube (sorry, no time to search right now, type in Wenn Du Liebst or Cider House Rules)

17. laylamah

laylamah New Member

I'm Free - Amber

Amore e Musica - Russell Watson

The Shores of the Swilly - Ballroom Emotions

Earth - Gladiator Soundtrack

It is you - Dana Glover

Dark Waltz - Phantom of the Opera

When You Believe - Whitney Houston & Mariah Carey

Windsong - Mighty Joe Young Soundtrack

Theme from Papillion

18. laylamah

laylamah New Member

Thank you! I never knew the name of that song! You're right, it never gets old (to me)! :D

19. kckc

kckc Active Member

well you are so welcome! It took me a while to figure it out also- the Michigan thing was the key for me.

20. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

Slow Waltz:
    "At This Moment" Michael Buble
    "When I Said I Do" Clint Black & List Hartman Black

Viennese:
    "Ordinary Day" Vanessa Carlton
    "Billie Jean" David Cook
    "Breakaway" Kelly Clarkson
    "Cry" Kelly Clarkson
    "Already Gone" Sugarland