Favorite Waltz Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Feb 22, 2004.

1. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has any new current favorite waltz music. There are some awesome suggestions here already...I'm hunting for anything good for a (slow waltz) showcase. Specifically looking for something that tells a story, and isn't overplayed at every comp. Any ideas beyond those already listed here?
  2. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Love Cider House Rules also....
    I run (10K's) right now and as soon at I hear that song it makes me feel like I am flying, love it...

Another one of my favs is the Theme From the movie Rudy
  3. Aura

Aura Active Member

Ah, I love waltzing! For Viennese, the "Blue Danube" by John Strauss is my favorite. For a regular waltz, I like "Under the Bridges of Paris", especially if Dean Martin is singing it!;-)
  4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Without reading the whole thread...we debated using a song called "Going Home" by Mary Fahl for my showcase. It's a very pretty slow waltz (we ended up going an entirely different direction) used as the theme to the movie Gods and Generals. I'd love to use it again sometime--definitely not overplayed ime.
  5. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Lemme see... Haven't looked through this thread in a while. Checking my newish waltzes...

Valsapena from cirque du soleil could be a good slow waltz if slowed down. There was also that one waltz posted on a different thread recently. La Fontaine by Connie Dover. For a gothic feel, I like Partus by Stoa. Also needs to be slowed. I have a lot of mid tempo waltzes oddly.
  6. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

Six years too late, but how about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIrNSpgMSCo
  7. kckc

kckc Active Member

A friend is going to use Sleepsong by Secret Garden for a showcase. Just read previous comments about songs by Secret Garden, let's hope no one cries or slits their wrists :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_cdXNWD1VY
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I love Secret Garden.
  9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

What about Norah Jones "Come Away with Me"?
  10. Instead of repeating myself, if you're looking for some different waltz music, mostly VW, take a look through my thread on Modern music. I think you'll find some things you might like there.

Enjoy!

Matching Music to a Dance
  11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Is there anyone who HASN'T danced to that? It's really, really, popular for studio parties....
  12. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I just recently downloaded a waltz version of Apologize [this version is by Orchestra Alec Medina rather than OneRepublic]

I also really love dancing to Flying by Cait Agus Sean

For Vwaltz a new recent favorite is Les Valses de Viennes by Francois Feldman although it is more for American Vwaltz [I generally like those a little more than International songs anyway].
  13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I love that song though... long before I even knew how to waltz!
  14. bia

bia Well-Known Member

It's probably too late for you, but in case it's useful in general -- I just posted a couple of songs by Robin Spielberg in the Music Guide. She has a lot of pretty waltzes and VWs, mostly solo piano, but some where another instrument or two joined her. If I listen to too many of her songs in a row, they all start sounding the same to me, but individually they're very nice.

I've spent a lot of time today looking for new waltz music -- DH is picky about how sugary sweet our practice music is (I agree in general, but I have a higher tolerance), so we've been playing only a subset of the waltzes that we have, and I'm getting tired of them. This thread has been very helpful for new ideas. A question, though. Earlier in the thread, people were talking about rubato being fine in music for a showcase -- what do you think about it in music for general practice? Specifically, I got into my head that I'd like to waltz to Erik Satie's Gymnopedie, but the only strict tempo versions I could find were cheesily orchestrated. I'd prefer just clean solo piano, though I did find a nice one with flute and harp, and there's the version orchestrated by Debussy, who knew what he was doing. Anyhow, I bought myself a non-strict-tempo solo piano version that doesn't play around too much, but does some. We both have pretty good ears, so we should be able to follow it. But I'm curious about your opinions -- if we practice with this, will we be improving our musicality, or will we be messing ourselves up for competition purposes?

ETA: And whether or not you think the rubato is a problem, does anyone know where I might find a non-cheesy strict-tempo version of Gymnopedie no.1?
  15. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I love this song. It really makes me able to get into the character of the dance.
  16. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

17. XikkixX

XikkixX New Member

Tell me your favorite Waltz song of all time

To me, the song is Noctune by Secret Garden
  18. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

A Daisy in December. Doesn't get much more beautiful than that. :D
  19. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Moon river. Of course, maybe because it was our wedding dance.:eek:
  20. XikkixX

XikkixX New Member

Yup, I love McLauley & Horan's version

It's normal to me, just a nice song at the first time learning steps, by the way which version please?

@Larinda McRaven: why you removed my link please?