Favorite Waltz Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Feb 22, 2004.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

They don't announce names of songs at competitions. Sometimes I don't even really remember what music I danced to, and I'm not going to go through every song on youtube and Amazon to try and find the one I heard. (There apparently is an ap for that, but as that would require my having a smartphone of some sort, I don't know what it is.)

That said, my current favorite waltz is "Going Home" by Mary Fahl (it's on the album "The Other Side of Time", and on the movie soundtrack for "Gods and Generals.") VERY slow but very pretty. I also like "Jean" (the title theme from "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie") and "Meggie's Theme" by Henry Mancini (from "The Thorn Birds.")

I HAVE sat there going "I KNOW that song" but being unable to place it. It once took me literally a month to realize the VW that had nagged me an entire competition was the theme from "Murder on the Orient Express."

2. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

There are several...but they only work about 60-70% of the time at a competition, since they aren't very good at figuring out covers of songs or reasonably altered tempos, and an awful lot of ballroom music is a ballroom remix.

LOL! :D

3. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Oh, and I don't have a "favorite" waltz - I have many favorites. While most of them come and go, "Edelweiss" and "Rainbow Connection" both still get me every time I hear them.

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know...but it was one where, despite really knowing the melody instantly, I could not for the life of me remember HOW I knew it. Since there's no words, I couldn't go by that. I think I actually saw the movie, which I hadn't watched in years, and went OH YEAH THAT SONG.

5. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

it requires some major tempo finagling, but i like josh groban's 'so she dances'. unfortunately, most of the tempo changing algorithms make the bass muddy so i also have to EQ the result. plus the tempo changes makes the song 6 minutes long. so i save it for mixers, or a long final waltz,

6. old dog

old dog Member

Favorite Waltz Music?

Like others we have many favorites.

Top of the list:

Recuerdos de la Alhambra by Francisco Tarrega. Tol & Tol version is our favorite of several good renditions.

Greensleeves. The Montovani version is our fav (Used a pipe organ version at our wedding 48 years ago, but, unfortunately we didn't dance at that time.)

Ashokan Farewell by Jay Ungar. Several nice renditions. We like the one done by Blake.

Hushabye Mountain by Sherman and Sherman. The Julian Lloyd Webber & Catrin Finch version is nice.

7. Terciel

Terciel Member

"Still Me" (Erkan Aki) is almost certainly my favorite slow waltz. Other good ones include:

"Brothers" (Theme from Pearl Harbor)

"Rilassamento" (Gianni Pavesi)

"River Lullaby" (from Prince of Egypt)

Theme from Romeo and Juliet

And while it's somewhat unconventional and also quite short, I like the 3/4 section of "Jupiter" from Holst's "The Planets."

For VWaltz, I love the theme song from "Up" (the track is either "Married Life" or the first part of the end credits). Alternatively, the track "Stuff We Did" is slow waltz and absolutely heartbreaking.

Other VWaltz:

"Look Through My Eyes" (Phil Collins - from Brother Bear)

"I'm With You" - Avril Lavigne

"Keep Holding On" - Avril Lavigne

And also a song called "I Will Always Return," but I have no idea who the artist is.

8. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I've seen this song performed at WSSDF. I don't remember the couple though.

I love Breathe, by Anna Nalick. It's more Smooth than Standard though.

I'm in love with this song called "His Glory Appears" by Hillsong. I can't seem to figure out whether it's a SW or a VW. Or maybe a SW with very heavy syncopations... www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAian48rpRA

9. bclure

bclure Member

Yvonne Moore's Version of "Natural Woman"

Yvonne Moore's Version of "Natural Woman".. It is #1 in my Itunes "top 25 most played" playlist with a playcount of 110!

10. Aura

Aura Active Member

If the Theme From Schindler's List is slowed down tempo-wise, it's one of my favorite waltzes.

11. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

are we thinking of the same song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLK5OWU2YGw

it's a beautiful tune, but it sounds awfully 4/4-ish to me.

12. no_name901

no_name901 Member

My 2 favorite waltzes at the moment:
    youtu.be/pIsEu5XSH4k
    and my most favorite (so relaxing! Have it on loop after a stressful day):
    youtu.be/Ddvs51fWeuA

13. nauru

nauru New Member

Post excellent waltzes here! Can be Viennese or Slow Waltz, or in between.

Only rule is no synthesizers please, only real orchestras/instruments.

Youtube links are appreciated :)

Thanks!

14. nauru

nauru New Member

15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that the the synthesizer isn't a "real" instrument. All of this stuff in the room with me must be a figment of my imagination.

danceronice likes this.
  16. nauru

nauru New Member

No offense intended, I should have said 'acoustic orchestras/instruments'. Apologies.

17. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

There is a favorite waltz thread if you use the search function on the forum I'm sure you will find it.

18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

If you go to DJ ICE's page on facebook you will find all sorts of contemporary radio songs, remixed for dancesport. My favorite waltz right now is his version of Sad Romance.

19. BD4L

BD4L Member

Personally my favorite Waltz is the theme from the Godfather. The hint of irony from the source of the song and a haunting melody gets me in the mood to dance every time. LR do you have a link to the correct DJ ICE's facebook page? I tried searching and came up with several none of which had Ballroom music. TIA.

20. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

DJ Ice no longer has music for download on his FB page.