fear

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by chomsky, May 2, 2012.

1. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

What's your deepest fear when it comes to dancing?

2. chomsky

It was I who posted it and I am terrified of answering it...

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

stagnation....injury...inability to have access to resources to continue to learn and enjoy at a high level

4. chomsky

thanks f. For me it is losing my passion for it or being unable to dance for health/financial reasons. I guess we all share some fears, bottomline. And I guess both my fears are this close from becoming a reality.
    I guess I just needed someone to get me started on this one.

5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

that i should be doing something more important and worthwhile..

6. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

That it's just a phase. My whole life I've hopped from hobby to hobby, getting "pretty good" at whatever, then getting bored... or worse... discouraged that I will never be the best. Or at the amount of effort it would take to be the best. Then giving up or just moving on to the next shiny thing.

So far dancing has stuck with me. Perhaps because I chose not to do competitions. Heh. But I still sometimes worry that all the time, all the money, is a waste...

7. chomsky

How very deep...and how very close to me too.

8. chomsky

with you there. that it's just a phase not because of the hobby but because I had never been so excited before...and it won't last for ever as you say...

9. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Re: deepest fear when it comes to dancing?

I tell you, what seems to be worthwhile for me (concerning dancing), chromsky:

-I easily can find conversation partners that have the same wave length than I have.

-When I feel lonely I have a place to go on the cheap almost every night of the week.

-I easily find contact with girls.

-I can communicate with people from all over the world and from so many different countries and cultures.

-Almost everywhere in this world I have a place to go. I browse the internet where the next tango or salsa party starts and I am at home as soon as I open the door, though thousands of miles from home.

-My knowledge of music history, music theory, and on the classical and style forming orchestras has increased immense.

-When dancing I easily get a feed back which muscles I have to train or that I have to increase my flexibility.

-Dancing is a permanent challenge for me. When training I regularly reach the edges of my skills.

-Since I started dancing (primarily I dance tango) my social skills did increase so much, as did my self-awareness and self-confidence.

-So in the end dancing is body work, sport, intercultural education, social training, dating site. Think thats worthwhile enough, isnt it?

-So will you throw in the towel? You just have started. Dancing skills and social skills will not come easily. Its really a hard job to do for you and there will be so many throwbacks. It seems that you want to cut and run away as soon as the first difficulties arise. You have to climb a really greasy pole and you only face the beginning. Please hold on.

10. chomsky

thanks, opendoor, I know you only mean well and I so appreciate your kind help. I guess I will find my way sometime or another...right now things are looking bad but who said life was not going to be hard in the first place? Thanks ever so much for your kind words!

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

but if you lose your passion for it, you won't care either way, so what's to fear? :tongue:

12. chomsky

thanks for making me smile, samina, you are such a sweetie!!!I am not making any sense, am I?

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i got over my fears WRT dancing...so over all of it.

and i could not have said that before a life-change forced me to abort my dance lifestyle.

14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have pretty much arrived at the same perspective by simply living through it in my dance life...am really not afraid of anything regarding dance...other than losing my health and that is less a fear than an understanding that nothing lasts forever

15. chomsky

wow, wow, how well you put my fear into words...nothing lasts forever! you see that's where my fear comes from. Dance has given me back my health. I had lost it since 2006 and it feels so weird that one year of doing privates has radically changed it, has given me my health back...no complaining intended here, it's like too good to be true. like daydreaming.

16. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Yeah, I shudder at the thought of a dance-ending injury or illness. Money doesn't worry me so much - social dancing can be relatively cheap. But, as Fasc said, nothing lasts forever.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

including dance hiatuses... :tongue:

yup...like clothes that come back into style if you keep them long enough...eventually, things turn.

18. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

You're so right samina. There's nothing wrong with a hiatus, why fear it?

One of my hobbies is genealogy--family research--have been doing it for almost 20 yrs. Sometimes I will lay my research aside, 6 mos, or 1 yr, then I will pick it up again and savor the enthusiasm why I started it in the first place. I know I will never end my journey researching my family history...there is ALWAYS something new to learn. And that's how I feel about "little breaks" in dancing as well--I know the break won't be forever because I've committed to myself that dancing is also a never-ending journey for me, even if there are breaks here & there (AND I have a dance friend who is 82 yrs old!!! and still competing, she is an inspiration to me.)

19. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Although knee-high white platform boots should have been left dead and buried...

20. chomsky

you guys, I love you!!!