"Feeling Good" - Buble - what dance for this?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by kmaot, Jan 19, 2006.

1. kmaot

kmaot New Member

Hi gang. I am VERY new to this world but have started to take Ballroom dance lessons. I am getting married in June.

I love this song and would like to use it as an entrance. But I can't quite figure out "how" this song should be danced. Is it a Foxtrot? Help!!

I also love "Save the Last Dance". Can this be danced to a Cha-Cha beat?

Thanks for helping a newb.

K
  2. hepcat

hepcat New Member

WOW. Awesome song for slow lindy/lindy groove or blues dance. :cool: I'm gonna buy that off iTunes when I get home (although note that there appears to be very different versions available through the store - I assume one maybe just has a fancy long intro).

I'll note that it's a remake of Nina Simone's version (and likely others'). Nina Simone's version comes on the soundtrack for "Point of No Return" which I have. I like Michael Bublé's version better though by far. Thanks for the song. I'll be playing it at the next swing dance I DJ.

-Hepcat
  3. kmaot

kmaot New Member

Hehe - glad to help. But I guess that means "no" to a Foxtrot??

How can a novice dance to that song?
  4. alemana

alemana New Member

you should take your songs into the teacher you have and ask!
  5. kmaot

kmaot New Member

He is away for a couple weeks :( That is why I am asking.
  6. alemana

alemana New Member

ohhh i see, that makes sense :)

but BOO dance teachers shouldn't be allowed to go away!
  7. hepcat

hepcat New Member

Sorry, I've never done foxtrot, so I couldn't say. I think I saw it once, but I can't remember what it looked like. So don't discount it because I said this was a lindy hop/blues dance song.

You know, if you like that song, there are probably other lindy groove/blues dance songs I know of that you'd like. Since I mentioned Nina Simone, perhaps "I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl" by her would be something you'd like. The blues dancers here LOVE that one. It's available on the iTunes music store for 99 cents. You can listen to a 30 second clip there before buying too.

-Hepcat
  8. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

ROWR! What a blues/lindy groove! Whew - I need to go and buy me some of that...

Sorry, I don't hear a foxtrot or cha cha at all. From the clip I could hear on Barnes&Noble, it just sounded like swing, nothing else, but the song might change in different parts (quite a few vintage pieces do). I would recommend finding an experienced dancer who has heard the entire song for an opinion. But from what I heard, blues only.
  9. hepcat

hepcat New Member

I don't know that one. What's ROWR stand for?

I heard the whole thing. I watched the music video via real player available on rhapsody. But you're right: primarily blues. I only say lindy because that's what I would do (with a little stretching and ad libbing). I'm not a very good blues dancer. I'm learning though.
  10. hepcat

hepcat New Member

You guys up in the northwest are really awesome blues dancers from what I hear. Mia & David came down to Albuquerque and taught a workshop a couple years ago, but there aren't many who do it in Santa Fe. The ones that do do it pretty much stay to themselves and don't share. :cry:
  11. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

Oh, I should be more careful with the all-caps thing. I just meant "rowr" as in "grrrowl" (I picked it up from subtitles for a dog growling - teeheehee).

And yes, there are some truly awesome blues dancers in the NW. I, unfortunately, do not count myself among their ranks! However, I just did a workshop with Steven & Virginie, and they covered quite a bit of jazz and some blues, so hopefully I have improved a little in that regard!

kmaot, good luck picking a dance for the wedding!
  12. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

both the tempo and orchestration lend itself to a potentially dramatic choreographed routine, but i wouldn't call it any sort of formal ballroom dance

if you're referring to michael buble's version, the orchestration style changes from stanza to stanza (and chorus), but for the most part retains a dotted quarter syncopation that feels more calypso-ish IMO rather than having a clear cut "4 & 1" feel in the orchestration that a typical cha-cha usually has.

some other arrangements i've heard do have that "4 & 1" emphasis. while they tend to be on the fast side for my own personal tastes, YMMV.
  13. hepcat

hepcat New Member

As far as a lindy analysis goes, it's definitely a solid 8-count classic lindy rhythm although there are breaks in various places on 7s and 3s which is slightly unusual for lindy and is why I think it's primarily blues (that and the fact it's a little on the slow side for regular lindy). Plus, the sections of music are not one of the classic swing patterns. It's almost a 6 6 4 pattern, but it's broken up with the odd break timings and 2 4 counts (6 8 counts in from the beginning and 5 8 counts from the end). Here's a breakdown:

Intro
    ---------------
    2 8 count section with a break on 7 of the last 8
    4 8 count section
    1 4 count with a break on 3
    1 8 count
    ---------------
    6 8 count section with a break on 7 of the last 8
    ---------------
    4 8 count instrumental
    ---------------
    6 8 count section
    1 4 count with a long break on 3
    ---------------
    4 8 count ending
    1 8 count of fading

The music video is so much fun to watch by the way. You can watch it on rhapsody for free using real player here:

http://www.rhapsody.com/michaelbuble

It's done like an old 007 movie. So cool. :cool: :applause:
  14. dTas

dTas New Member

my dance partner and i have choreographed a foxtrot to "Feeling Good" and a rumba/Cha mix to "Save the Last Dance".

i assume you're referring to track 1 and track 8 on the album.
  15. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

There you go kmaot!! You are right on the money. ;-)
  16. Medira

Medira New Member

I've done a slow, sassty foxtrot as a spotlight to this song as well. So, so, so much fun!
  17. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Personally I thinke Nina Simones version of Feeling Good is far superior. Everything sounds flat after that one. But it's a bit too slow for Lindy. At 19 beats per minute I've stopped using the rhythm, and are just dancing to the melody.

When it comes to Bublé, I've never listened to the whole album. They made the mistake of using Feeling Good in the comercial, and since I think Nina Simone does that song far better, it didn't sell with me.
  18. kmaot

kmaot New Member

I would like to thank everyone who responded. Yes, my better half said that it is one to be choreographed....rather than done to a Foxtrot. But I can see the Foxtrot...and the Cha-Cha for Save the Last Dance.

I think I have an idea what we are going to do..

Thanks again,
    K
  19. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I think "American Foxtrot" when I hear that song. And it's a good song!
  20. Keelzorz

Keelzorz New Member

I feel the bronze American Foxtrot beat in "feeling good"is a little tricky to find; might be better suited to International or continutity american foxtrot (could just be that I'm used to finding the silver foxtrot beat). But it's an amazing song.

If you want to use it for your wedding, remember that everyone will be watching you, not the steps/dances! Mix in some rumba or some bolero to add a more sensual side to your dance. It has a great four count rhythm that you could do a lot of stuff to - definatly take it to your instructor and see what you can put together! I don't think a wedding ballroom dance can ever look bad, because the two dancers are so purely happy, it outshines any slips in footwork or style. It always looks amazing.

Congratulations on your engagement, by the way!