"Figures of Argentine Tango" page

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

2. ant

ant Member

I think all of the colour pictures are of Cristina and Homer Ladas. Does that mean they were the contributors?
  3. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

The page seems rather busy, but curiously lacking in actual content: particularly figures.
  4. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

The main driver for this page seems to be "PCirrus2" - one of the wonderful things about Wikipedia is the history function :)

If I have to guess, I'd say that's Homer. Fair enough.

Of course, the other point about Wikipedia is that anyone can edit stuff. So if you disagree with a point, I'd recommend doing just that.
  5. sixela

sixela Active Member

Quite. It only contains some elements of figures but no sequences. What, someone doesn't mention sequences and that's a bad thing?

;).
  6. UKDancer

In the context of a page that is meant to be about figures, I'd have said it was a definite weakness ...
  7. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Yes - it also has some technique, which seems out of place in that page.

If the page says "figures", you'd expect it to talk about, well, figures. :confused:
  8. sixela

sixela Active Member

What is a figure? I only know actions and sequences ;).

It's a semantic discussion. A "volcada" or an "ocho" is something I'd call a figure (in the context of AT), but they're actually techniques, not really sequences.

Other dances have set sequences known as "figures" (things like the D8BC), so I know how that can be confusing...

Perhaps the page should be called "elements of figures"?
  9. UKDancer

This new interest of yours seems very unhealthy. Have you turned to the dark side? ;)
  10. LoveTango

LoveTango Member

Wish he didn't wear a hat, particularly not backwards.
  11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Wikipedia is not a manual, guidebook, textbook, or scientific journal

Wikipedia is an encyclopedic reference, not an instruction manual, guidebook, or textbook. Wikipedia articles should not read like:
    1. Instruction manuals. While Wikipedia has descriptions of people, places and things, an article should not read like a "how-to" style owners manual, advice column (legal, medical or otherwise) or suggestion box. This includes tutorials, walk-throughs, instruction manuals, game guides, and recipes.[5] If you are interested in a "how-to" type of manual, you may want to look at wikiHow, How to Wiki or our sister project, Wikibooks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NOT
  12. sixela

sixela Active Member

He's been spotted recently in Berlin with a cap worn the Correct Way. I think that's Nuevo Homer (and yes, I think it looks a lot better).

I think he'd probably look even better without any hat, but hey, that's just me and my receding hairline.
  13. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Frankly, I've never understood the distinction between "figures", "patterns" and "sequences". Use of the terms seems to me to be based more on one's geographic location and background of instruction than about any concrete universal definitions of these words.
  14. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Pretty good work, so far :cheers:
    Think Homer is greek american, but PCirrus is of polish origin. He´s got several blogs, too.

Only this photo made me laugh "lift"
    [​IMG]
  15. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Honestly, I've been trying to get into nuevo over the past couple of years, and one tentative conclusion I've reached on that score is that figures are one of the important building blocks for nuevo.

I don't think that applies for traditional, however. I danced with a first-time follower last night, and within 3 dances I had her doing steps, ochos, giros, and so on. All without a word of instruction beyond telling her to adopt a forwards posture. She didn't need figures to get dancing, she just needed 10 seconds of posture advice and demonstration.
  16. ant

ant Member

The reason I asked was because I think Homer knows his stuff. So if he was the contributor I think it may be worth the time reading it.
  17. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Yeah, I must admit I thought it was sailing quite close to the wind in some areas.
  18. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

yeah, they have a sense of humour..
  19. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Absolutely. They're all shorthand for "a group of steps and movements performed in a set manner".
  20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

mind you I saw a Haynes* guide to the Starship Enterprise in a bookshop today

*Haynes do automotive manuals for owners