"Figures of Argentine Tango" page

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

2. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Are you implying that we are not?

3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Uh-Oh. What happened?

4. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

posted a stupid question and then immediately found the answer myself:rolleyes:

5. sixela

sixela Active Member

Sorry for not using irony tags; I thought that was pretty obvious.

6. Dance-expert

Dance-expert New Member

I think this is long over due and a great tribute to Argentine Tango from some very great instructors- Homer and Christine Ladas.

7. Dance-expert

Dance-expert New Member

Someone once asked a native born Argentine instructor how many steps are there in beginning Argentine tango? The answer he gave was over 300 different steps.

So much for step patterns- the important thing in A. tango is- the elements that can be used with different movements: forward, back, side, in place, etc. The elements are the key to advancing your dancing, otherwise you will become pattern happy and forget most of those anyway and alot of instructors are more than happy to give you more different patterns. Most students become pattern happy and their dancing doesn't progress much from year to year in A. tango. Unlike ballroom dancing, this type of dancing is not the traditional Ballroom type or style; it is a specialty dance all its own.

8. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Speechless! :rolleyes:

9. AndaBien

Danel Bastone once told me that some students would ask him to teach steps that he didn't even know. His students knew more steps than he did.

And 300? That's just BS.

10. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Do you know which instructor this was?

11. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you in labelling him as an instructor.

Never heard of this Daniel before, but concerning his answer he might have the ability to be a teacher.

12. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

How do you define the difference?

13. opendoor

-A teacher has found his own personal approach to the matter, whereas an instructor simply echos someone else experiences.

-A teacher is kind of a coach that guides you along your own individual way. An instructor looks for you during classes and lessons.

-A teacher is found by the student. With the instructor it is the other way round.

14. Dance-expert

Dance-expert New Member

Unfortunately, the word teacher was not used years ago. All instructors were called instructors. A teacher implies having a degree which most dance teachers do not possess. And if you want to be really correct about it today- than start calling them "dance coaches".

By the way are those so called dance teachers you are talking about have a dance degree as in BSA from a recognized university???

15. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

"A street dancer is a dancer who would not be caught dead as a student or teacher in a dance school." Craig Hutchinson 1988

"This book contains the results of his research and his many years of experience as a dance teacher." intro to Alma Heaton's "Ballroom Dance Rhythms" 1964

I was a Tap & Jazz teacher & performer.
    Skippy Blair personal communication 2009

16. AndaBien

You sure do like to debate the meaning of words. You ought to fit right in here.

I've heard the Argentines use the word maestro often, which translates into "teacher". Many of their maestros have no degrees, and don't need them.

17. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

ah, so, grasshopper.....:D

I was given the tongue in cheek title sensei

There is also the question of what makes one a sensei. When one teaches, one is a sensei. But one might not be a sensei if one is not teaching. It depends on what one teaches. If one teaches Aikido techniques, one is a teacher only on the tatami. If one teaches only on the tatami for a few hours, it is inconvenient to keep changing one’s title on and off the tatami. People who are called sensei are supposed to behave as a teacher in daily life as well. In this way people can continue to refer to them as sensei without the need for a change of titles.

This creates a new question: How should a teacher behave in his daily life? Zen Buddhism began the idea of understanding life. It suggests that when one understands life, one feels as if one is newly born. Sen means before and Sei means to be born. So sensei literally means a person who is born before. This birth is a spiritual, not physical birth. The original meaning of sensei is one who is spiritually born before others. If one sticks to the original meaning, only those who understand life should be called sensei and a sensei is behaving like a teacher 24 hours a day, even in his daily life.

from the Ki Society webpage

18. opendoor

As a TaiJi practitioner I am more familiar with the term Sifu:

From wiki: The character 師 means “teacher”. The meaning of 傅 is “tutor”, and of 父 , “father”.

19. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I always thought that teacher and instructor more or less meant the same thing. Not sure where I got that from.

[​IMG]

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/teacher
    Definition of TEACHER
    : one that teaches; especially : one whose occupation is to instruct

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/instructor
    Definition of INSTRUCTOR
    : one that instructs : teacher; especially : a college teacher below professorial rank

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/teacher
    teacher
    noun
    a person who teaches, especially in a school.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/instructor
    instructor
    noun
    a person who teaches something:a driving instructor
    North American a university teacher ranking below assistant professor.

20. opendoor

Not enough with teacher, instructor, sifu, laoshi, sensei, master, guru, and lama:

Not only in martial arts you´ve got the phenomenon of in-door and out-door students (which got nothing to do with the location of the dance floor).

Here in Hamburg we call in-door tango students generally stink-lambs or poussin (spring chicken).