"Figures of Argentine Tango" page

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, Jun 16, 2011.

1. sixela

sixela Active Member

That's not the way I've seen the term used. A planeo is when the woman brushes with the free foot over the floor (often while you have one of these in-place turns). It's the adorno the woman does, not the turn itself, or it is the turn but only if coupled with this particular adorno (which does not necessarily accompany the turn. [Of course, there are leader planeos as well, in which the man will turn with feet scribing a planeo instead of collecting or doing an enrosque].

Note the free foot of the lady...that's what maks it a planeo rather than "just" an on-axis pivot [see below].

As for the pivot, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on using your definition (for which I am also unable to find an attested source). For me, a pivot can be active or passive, and English supports "pivot" both as a transitive and intransitive verb. When you open the door, you pivot the door around its hinges, but the door pivots ;).

2. sixela

sixela Active Member

I save a bookmark for all people who claim nuevo is always danced in open embrace and not musical (you'll have to add the YouTube header yourself, given I'm still a lower life form around these parts):

watch?v=_eq-VPlSIiY&feature=player_embedded

I'm not too fond of the most extreme abrazo breaking (but hey, it is a performance, so I have to cut them a lot of slack), but 90% of it can be danced small and in a closed embrace.

3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I disagree with your definition of a calesita. While followers will often do a planeo during a calesita, there is absolutely no requirement that she do a planeo, as she could stay collected during the calesita, if she chooses to.

The calesita is simply the leader stepping around the follower, while the follower pivots, (sort of the inverse of the mollinette, when the follower steps around the leader while he pivots).

4. sixela

sixela Active Member

Followers don't always step around the leader in a molinete - both dancers can also turn around an axis in the middle (although some people call the former molinete/media luna and the latter giro).

5. dchester

Yes, although some call that a double giro (when both are stepping).

6. sixela

sixela Active Member

What? You mean we don't all agree on a standard nomenclature?

Chaos will reign..next you know it, we'll all be dancing a different style!

7. dchester

Here's the link, for those of you too lazy to put it together.

[​IMG]

[yt]_eq-VPlSIiY[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eq-VPlSIiY

I guess a bit of it was in close embrace (I think), but not very much. BTW, I think he stole that colgada ending from me.

[​IMG]

8. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I wasn't that lazy, and I would call that an OE dance.

9. chanchan

chanchan Member

The embrace ranges from a very close "milonguero style" to an extremely open embrace, while for the most of the time it is "V" embrace with an angle from 0 to almost 180°.

10. Nathan

Nathan Member

While I admire his musicality, I was always taught that it was impolite to kick people between the legs. :rolleyes:

11. sixela

sixela Active Member

Depends on what you mean. To me an embrace is a close embrace when the partners make contact at the chest. It doesn't have to be apilado and not even parallel all the time, the partners simply don't have to be separated. One reason for that is that if you define it otherwise, a good number of old milongueros who've been dancing in what they consider a close embrace for 50 years wouldn't be (including all those dancing in a variant of estilo del barrio). Sure, when a "V-embrace" no longer has an acute angle I'd tend to consider it open as well.

If you call a moderate "V-embrace" (typical for "Villa Urquiza" and other estilo del barrio styles) "open", then what do you call an embrace with partners only making contact at the arms? "Very open"? That's the syllabus silliness in reverse.

12. sixela

sixela Active Member

I'm pretty sure I saw Tete doing sacadas (on the lady's side step, none of that fancy stuff on the trailing foot after a forward step) and even briefly kicking once (although, of course, not like Gustavo does here).

Are we going to define tango so strictly that the number of practitioners becomes the null set (except for the True Faithful, which would then exclude a fair number of real milongueros)?

13. dchester

Nah, between the legs is fine. It's when you kick their legs that causes problems.

:bkick:

14. dchester

In your opinion, how much of that dance was their contact at the chest? My opinion is, it's certainly less than half, thus I would not call it a close embrace dance.

As for what I mean, if there is no chest contact, I don't consider it close embrace. Also, when the "V" opens up a lot (maybe greater than 120 degrees) their ceases to be chest contact, IMO.

15. sixela

sixela Active Member

I'd say 50%. I agree it's not merely a close embrace dance. I never said it was (it's not an open embrace dance either, it's a fluid embrace dance). I just said that it's a demonstration that people who say that nuevo dancers can't dance in close embrace and more importantly (which is what I quoted) are less musical are overgeneralising.

There are other examples of strict close embrace (even apilado) if you look for them. Chicho has these two sides of his personality, to give just one example.

That agrees with my definition.

16. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Kicking between someone's legs (rather than kicking them between the legs!) was in all likelihood one of the things that was seen as naughty when tango first went to Europe. It's still a tangoie! thing.

I like the way he picks up the short pauses in the music. Reminds me of someone I know quite well.

17. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

think you did mistake something: 180° is side by side. Step to left and you are in the shadow position, a.k.a. atras or doble frente.

18. dchester

I think that was his point, that they were side by side for parts of the video.

19. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Now don't you go putting ideas in people's heads or we'll have to change your screename to "Seditious"

20. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

So if I watch this a bunch of times, maybe I'll get it next time we dance!:D
    (reloads video...)