First competition thread -- again

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pygmalion, Oct 9, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

2. pygmalion

The bit of conversation I remember from yesterday (or day before?) went like this, with a few changes and additions (my memory ain't as good as it used to be :lol: ):

Here's how my comp worked, and I think this is how it often works. The dance teacher/pro/studio gets a wholesalers' package for many competitions. They decide which competitions to promote to their students, add their mark-up and ask their students to participate.

The students can enter based on the rules set up by competition organizers. Things like age group and proficiency level, among other things, are what determine which heats you can enter.

In my case, you're allowed to enter as a newcomer only if you've had fifty hours of instruction or less. Other than that, it's bronze, silver, or gold, with each division being divided in two (Bronze 1 and Bronze 2, for example).

So, for my comp, I've decided to max out in terms of dances I know and can be competitive in. That works out to twenty heats. My choice, all the way. I have a no-pressure dance coach. (I opted to enter only one age division. Up to two are allowed.)

Others are less lucky, and have coaches or studios that pressure students to enter as many heats as possible, in order to maximize the monies spent up front and to get the teacher in the running for prize money.

3. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Wow, that's awesome. I'm supporting you all the way. :D

4. pygmalion

Thanks. I've been feeling the love on that one since I first posted about this comp a couple weeks ago. It's so exciting! :D

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

And although we're competing three hours apart that day, just remember that I will be there dancing with you . . .

Anyone else? Will you be there with her??? Let her know it! I'm looking for 351 replies here!

Come on guys . . . in spirit only???

6. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Remind me of the date and time and I'll mark it down on my calendar. I'll send you my thoughts and prayers.

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jenn, correct if I'm wrong, but I thought the time was 9:00 on Nov 2.

8. pygmalion

Yup. 9:00 AM on Sunday, November 2. :D :shock: :D

9. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

good luck! what dances and what competion?

10. SalsaGeek

SalsaGeek New Member

wow, 20 heats???
    that's a lot of money :shock:

11. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Good luck, I'll be sending good thoughts your way on that day!! :D (I hope you don't exhaust yourself. It sounds like a lot of dancing!!)

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jenn,
    Two weeks to go . . . how are you doing??? Are the routines solid yet???
    Spotting . . . spins and turns . . . arms . . . hands???

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Hopefully!

14. pygmalion

Wow! I'm feeling the love! :D

First, believe it or not, twenty heats is not a lot of money. A whole lot depends on how much markup your instructor or studio adds. I'm not going to post what I paid, just because I don't want to make trouble for anyone. I will say this, though. What I paid for the teacher's fee plus entries to this competition would buy about 13 lessons at my previous studio. Do the math. Not a lot of money, if you ask me.

Yes, twenty heats is a lot, but I did that deliberately. I haven't competed before, but I have performed a lot, and for me, the worst possible thing to do is to sit down and watch too much. That's when you get cold and stiff and nervous. And twenty heats is spread over several hours, you know. The tough part is when you start to tire physically, but that's usually near the end. I get such a performance high, that I usually just keep going. The next day, I crash like the worst hangover you've ever had. Fun! :lol: :D 8)

Vince, yes, the routines are starting to come together, but more importantly, all my dances are starting to look more and more unique from each other, especially in smooth. The waltz, foxtrot and tango are looking more different from each other than ever before. Still doing those arm drills, though. I need a couple thousand more reps to make my arm naturally hit that track -- across the boobs, around the face, and straight up the side with attitude. Getting there, though.

Dances: waltz, foxtrot, tango, WCS, ECS, merengue, mambo, bolero, cha cha, rumba. All at Bronze 1 and Full bronze, so the steps aren't an issue. It's the styling, snap, body movement, spotting, size and boldness of the moves, and character of each dance that I'm working on.

Yay! :D

15. SDsalsaguy

Funny how relative everything can get... in my universe the cost of 13 lessons at your old studio is expensive! But, as I pointed out in the franchise thread, price and value are, ultimately, two different things. If its worth it to you then it's not too expensive. Enjoy! :D :D :D

16. pygmalion

Thanks. Yes. I know what you mean. Everything is relative. But some of the horror stories I've heard from other people about their competition price tags. :shock: I'm paying a small fraction of what other people pay.

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

And you know that those stories are probably "stretched very far . . ." start your own log or diary . . . write your own horror stories, if, you have any!!!

18. pygmalion

A diary of my experiences is a great idea. Plus video, and lots of still photos. :D

About the competition prices, though, I'm pretty sure the stuff I've been hearing is true. When I consider that the competition I'm in is quite small (therefore inexpensive), it's only one day (therefore limited heats), it's local (therefore no hotel fees), and that I study at an independent studio (therefore no studio fees or overhead), the figures I've heard seem entirely plausible to me.

The people I've talked to have quoted figures four or more times what I'm paying. And I believe them. Quite shocking, the price people will pay to dance. *shrug* :?

19. SDsalsaguy

To my mind, however, there's a significant distinction between the price one will pay vs. the price one will pay if they don't know there are other options. In the first scenario the choice is theirs. Good judegement or poor, it's all in their own hands.

20. pygmalion

Exactly, SD. How do I put this? In the past year, my eyes have been opened to a lot of options I didn't know existed.

This is slightly off-point, but what the heck. When I first started dancing, it took me about three months to get dissatisfied with the type of instruction - social dance - that I was receiving. When it came time to buy more lessons, I told them, "what you're doing is very nice, but I really want to learn to dance." At the time, I didn't realize what I was saying. I was saying that I wanted to learn competitive dance. But you know why I continued to take lessons there for another nine months before going somewhere else? Because I didn't know that I had other options, and, to me, any dance was better than no dance.

Yes, the price you're knowingly willing to pay is a whole lot different from the price you can be duped into paying if you don't know better. :?