fishnets?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Pacion, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Question for the femailes - Fishnets

... or guys, if you wear them ;)

I do not recall whether this question has been asked before, but, is there a "secret" to wearing them successfully?

I wore them for the first time (that I can recall, as they weren't the sort of thing "good girls" wore when I was growing up ;)) a few days ago to dance in and oh man! The underneath of my feet were hurting!!! :(

These were a pair that I bought in the shop therefore not specific ones found in a danceshop. Does anyone know if the ones available in dance shops are any better/different? I was wondering why it was that the soles aren't flush/flat, so that the threading did not press into the feet.
  2. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of fishnets from discount dance website (discountdance as one word and add www. in front and .com in the end), they have flat soles. Their only problem is that they're a bit too dark for suntan color, I would prefer something closer to standard suntan color.
  3. gracie

gracie Active Member

My friend that competes Latin says she wears her's over regular pantyhose- much more comfortable. She's tiny as a rail with no body fat. I'm afraid that might not work for all.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

the good ones that you buy at comps have a different nice soft sole...and my pro likes them to be as dark and possible
  5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yup the ones at comps have flat soles. And you often have a small choice of colors/shades.

When I wear then I usually snip the waistband so that I don't get a line across my mid-section. They usually feel like they pinch and bind there a bit if I don't.
  6. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

I personally don't like the fishnets with the flat feet - my feet are small, and so the sole of the fishnet is always visible poking out of the back of my ballroom shoes or the sides of my latin shoes. I'm pretty curvy, and wearing them over regular hose works for me.
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Thigh-highs. ;)

Do the footie ones come in black? I would think that seeing the exposed bits of sole would be worse than for flesh-toned 'nets.

What color were you wearing, Pacion?
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

never had a problem with exposed sole....but I am a size nine which is much bigger then the little sole patch (pun)
  9. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

It's always an option, and then you don't have to worry about waist lines!

Twilight Elena
  10. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

Where exactly do you snip them? Just some little vertical cuts part way through the waistband? Do they stay up alright after that? ( I haaaate the way mine cut into my waist!)
  11. Sabor

Sabor New Member

post a pic of u in fishnets pacion.. LMAO!
  12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yup, a little vertical snip all the way through the waist band right in the middle of the back. They stay up just fine, they simply don't leave a visible line around my waist.

I started doing it when I got a dress with a lower back than the waist band of the fishnets, so I snipped it thinking it would create the perfect little "v" to match the cut of the dress. It was so comfortable it is the first thing I do to every pair I get now.
  13. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Hah! I wore these on a job interview once. What was I thinking...they kept falling down around my ankles. I *did* get the job, though :)
  14. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

No, but you would have to worry about seeing the tops of them when your skirt flys up while dancing. Of course, that would depend on what your costume is like, but it could happen to almost any skirt. (some are just more likely than others)
  15. alemana

alemana New Member

there is one context for thigh-high stockings, and that context is: when you are very sure they will be doing their job and coming off very quickly.
  16. bailamos

bailamos New Member

I actually cut off the whole waistband and there is never a line or bind at the waist. The fishnet does not run or fall. If your dress/gown has a bodysuit underneath (most do) it gives you further assurance your fishnets will not drop to your ankles. Tried it once with an old pair that had a hole at the toes (had nothing to lose!) and they work out just great. From then on, I cut the elastic waistband right off whenever I buy a new pair.
  17. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

I always wear stockings these days (either with a suspender belt or the hold-up type) because I can't stand tights (pantyhose) and I find them very comfortable.

Of course, there was a time when everyone wore stockings, and it was tights that were considered risque!

As for fishnets, they're very flattering on the leg, although I usually choose to wear opaques.
  18. alemana

alemana New Member

hey, i have a drawer full of such accoutrements. but i wouldn't wear them dancing.
  19. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

20. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I've only worn fishnets once, many years ago, at a fancy-dress party where I was dressed as a French Maid.

I won first prize!!!

Rosa :)