Fitness activities outside of studio practice?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by manteca, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

personal train five days a week one hour some times hypertrophy training, sometimes muscular endurance sometimes functional training

tabata timing HIIT 5 nights a week staggered to be three days before same system is used at the gym

yoga at home three days

zumba once a week

and dance practice lessons etc
  2. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I find the best cardio to actually be something we call "cardio rounds." Its a set of 3 consecutive rounds of whatever style you wish (I only do international, so latin and standard). The first round is 1:00, the second 1:30 and the third 2:00 for each dance. Except for in the third round, you do a 4:00 last dance (either VW or QS for standard) or Jive. I find that doing this on a weekly basis keeps my ballroom endurance more than high enough to be okay during competition (unless I have to dance 5 consecutive rounds- been there, done that. I was still better off than everybody else;))
    jerseydancer likes this.
  3. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

Outside of dance, HIIT 3 times a week (when I'm good) either doing bodyweight exercises at home with zuzka light .com or fitness blender dot com. OR at the gym with sean o'mally (cardio coach dot com.) If you HATE cardio, you'll be suprised at how much less you hate it when you use cardio coach. I discovered it a few years ago and still use it today. I can totally tell a difference in my oxygen consumption when I do HIIT regularly. I've also tried peak 8, which is a super-intense type of HIIT but don't try it unless you want to vomit.
  4. Mr 4 styles

I prefer Tabata timing for my HIIT ..as I can ride or run forever... and you don't need a bike

plyo, legs, pushups, core ( see tabata core doom on you tube) even weighted exercises can all be adapted to Tabata

but peak 8 does kick yo butt..
  5. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Aside from my normal running, I tried various dance style workouts similar to zumba as well as plyometric type training, for varieties sake. But, these workouts backfired on me and caused various injuries that took me out of dancing and running off and on for a several months. In my search for something challenging but low impact, I found a couple of workout videos from Mary Helen Bowers, a former Principal dancer with the New York City Ballet, called Ballet Beautiful. . The exercises look easy but they are repetitive and deceivingly difficult , which can be boring for some but they have been immensely helpful in getting me back in business ;). I've stopped the plyo and have resumed running but I'm staying diligent with Ballet Beautiful.
  6. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Personal training at least once a week. Pilates one on one with a great physical therapist once a week. Cardio on the elliptical, but not as regularly as I would like. Lots of independent practice on basics, basics, basics. And next week I am going to try Gyrotonics for the first time after reading so many good things about it on this forum.
  7. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Tennis once a week and now swimming (summer). Need to do more cardio! This thread is a great suggestion for fitness outside dancing
  8. artofdance

artofdance New Member

Outdoor running is not only good for regular maintenance but is great before a comp for your stamina, I find it helps a lot...
  9. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

walking on treadmill daily: 1.5 hours intense walk, 2-4 hour light walk when I work (during conference calls and web based training), twice a week interval walking outside, i need to start doing light yoga again, I felt much better a year ago when I was doing yoga for beginners every other day.

I had tried ballet in the past, but it was teaching wrong hip alignment for standard dancer, and I kept pulling variety of muscles, so after a year I had to drop it because ballet injuries kept me away from ballroom
  10. Lyra

Lyra Active Member

Four times a week at the gym, intense uphill walking on the treadmill plus some weights - nothing extreme, mostly exercises aimed at improving core strength. used to run, but now I'm older I worry about my knees, so exercises to strengthen the muscles, tendons etc. in that area. I cycle quite a lot in daily life - to work, shopping etc. My bike is my main means of transportation.
  11. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Ballet (which starts back up for me next month) and biking. I prefer biking to the pounding my knees/ankles take running or walking.
  12. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I do anaerobic exercise much like NASCAR drivers, as my intensity comes in short spurts not just in dancing, also when ski instruction with adaptive clients, especially downhill racing clinics.
    Skiing crosses over to Ballroom.
    Plus private free-weight training that has really cranked up my stamina in a way all the cardio I do - doesn't.
    Although, I think my trainer enjoys watching me melt with all the reps.
    Approaching "cross-fit" training soon with him. THAT looks like fun.
    Yoga is great for flexibility and resistence and for holding frame with my partner. I've only been doing this for a few months but there is quite the noticeable improvement - coach has definately noticed this as have I and pro.
    Purchased some Yoga DVD's for our road trips and a DVD player so I can continue this with lots of touring/hiking/walking before ski season starts again. Not neccessarily ballroom dancing. The spillover is effective though.
  13. Mr 4 styles

it is .. but I love puking sooo.:eek:
  14. lovetodance2804

lovetodance2804 New Member

I dance ballet and contemporary dance and dread the summer when it all stops! Im still in school but have started running dance workshops in the local hall as I'm an aspiring teacher! This keeps me fit and (as I'm only thirteen) is such good experience for me! I go jogging and workout every night doing stretches, core and cardio things! X
  15. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I recently started a group personal training program. I signed up for six months and I can go every day of the week if I want, but I've been going 2-3 days in a row and then either walking, swimming, or doing nothing for a day or two to take a break. These sessions include a combination of cardio and interval training and they kick my butt. I thought I would die the first few classes, but they're getting easier.
  16. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

What is a group personal training? How many people in the group?
  17. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

It varies by day/class, but it generally ranges from 3-12. It's run like a class, but the trainer does typical personal training types of things. Usually some kind of circuit with weights and cardio. It's very intense. You get more personal attention than a regular class, but of course the workout is set for what the trainer wants to do rather than what your personal needs might be. They are good about helping you modify as needed.
    anntennis likes this.
  18. shava

shava Member

Have just started hot power yoga - hate the 95 degrees + humidity but wow it's great for strength, flexibility and stamina.
  19. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

BF has just started Muay Thai again...after seeing how thoroughly worked out he was on Monday I'm thinking of going along with him.
  20. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I run. It helps with weight, toning, and endurance. It probably has a somewhat negative effect on flexibility, though.