flexibility and fitness for ballroom dancers

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by alemana, Jun 22, 2005.

1. alemana

alemana New Member

damn, now i'm missing martial arts. wah.

2. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

You are now my hero and inspriation. I think I'll take up TKD at the Y. I'v ebeen curious. And it's super cheap too. A mere $28 a month.... :)

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

At the Y. Stay away from the (dare I say it?) franchise TKD schools, or you'll spend a couple grand. BTDT. :lol: :lol:

4. Laura

Laura New Member

There are franchised TKD schools? Wow, I had no idea.

5. pygmalion

Oh yeah. I probably shouldn't name names, but I know of at least one. $50 a month for the introductory package. $3000 for the Master Club. $5000 for the Leadership club. Pressure to upgrade, of course. And expensive extras very, very often, with a somewhat hard sell based on personal manipulation.

Hmm. I wonder where I've seen a similar set-up before. :roll: :lol:

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Mine is a franchise. I love it and it is worth every penny.

Our intro package was a mere $30 each, including a free uniform.

After that we enrolled for a whole year. And we recently just renewed for our second year. We could have signed up for three years at once and joined the Black Belt Club and gotten a special uniform, but decided not to. Although from the sheer amount of special uniforms that I see, it looks like the majority of people do the lump sum up front.

When we said we were not interested in the three year enrollment there was no pressure. He simply said "Okay, you want to do a year or a month at a time?"

7. pygmalion

Yep. Just like every other franchise, practices vary from outlet to outlet, IMO. :wink: 8)

(And, incidentally, the franchise/owner/manager group I'm talking about has an outlet near DancingMommy. Hence my warning. :wink:)

8. chandra

chandra New Member

I feel like i should pipe in on this thread, seeing as contortion was my dream in life for many years (thus i spent ALOT of time stretching)

But over the days its been active, ive been thinking, how DO you get flexible?
    You stretch... Alot. There are different methods of stretching, AIS and PSI (if you have someone to stretch with, PM and ill explain (its too lengthy for one post)
    The basic theory behind these, is that they are assisted, and designed to allow you to contract the muscles you should be contracting (levers, actually forces the muscles that are supposed to be stretching to stretch.) It trains ACTIVE flexibility, not just passive flexibilty. (you can do it on you own, without reseitance to push against.

gosh so many stretches, as im sure you all know, but most importantly keep stretching. Stretch as often as you can. On the computer? why? STRETCH. watching tv? even better, you dont have to stop, just stretch.

Sit in the splits, if you cant, put mulitple pillows under you and sit on them.
    The more flexible you get the more you have to stretch just to even keep the flesibility (i should check one of thses days... I bet i dont have over splits anymore.)

Walk around in a bridge (increases your back flexibility - alot- plus the muscles in your back)

None of this makes any sense does it? Im sorry, so much theory and thoughts, too much for one post... I know about a million and a half stretches which i can try to articulate better than this sily post, if you want, tell me the area you want to stretch, and how flexible you are, and if you have a person you can stretch with, and ill try and think of something
    :D
    :artsy:
    or try anywase.

9. DancingMommy

Not THAT guy. OY. Saw him on the local access cable station once. Surya adn I looke at each other and laughed and said "that sounds just like <insert my old studio employer here>. He's a CREEP of the first water. He was sued a couple years back by some parents for those shady practices. Promised to make their 6 year old a black belt in 6 months.... Surya scoffed at that since where he's from it don't happen like that.

10. pygmalion

Glad to hear it, DM. Channel 98 (or is it 99?) can be very educational. :lol: :lol:

11. DancingMommy

Sho' 'nuf.

12. swan

swan Member

Firm believer in cross training - esp. if we start ballroom as adults. I always fixed my dance problems OFF of the dance floor Vs. On the dance floor. Most of my issues are body awareness & such. I find that when I do cross training, I could be so much more effective in absorbing knowledge during my actual ballroom lessons.

I just introduced my partner to pilates - the same teacher that Laura was referring to. She did absolute wonder for both of us. My partner supposedly has the well equipped body w/ natural ability (top pros have commented on that). But he just did not know how to control it, so probably I'd call it lack of body awareness. We did 1 session, and voila, he was able to retain knowledge so much better from the ballroom lessons.

I told him that probably we'd start seeing reduction of expense ;) Pilates Duet sessions surely were a lot cheaper than our ballroom private lessons.

Feldenkrais, Pilates and Gyrotonics are all very helpful for ballroom dancers. I do all 3 (space them out to ease my wallet ;)) I know the Gyro studio I go to, Alec Mazo & Edyta used to train there as well - that ought to say something :)

13. lynn

lynn New Member

I think pilates is a really good idea for dancers. I keep on injuring my ankle and I think the main reason is because that's a part of my body that I don't use very often. I read in an article that pilates helps you become more flexible thus making you less prone to injuries.

Here's a question for those who are taking pilates lessons: Do you think the videos on the market (ie, Denise Austin, Scott Pilates to name a few) are as good as actual class instructions? I don't know any well known pilates instroctors in my area so I'm considering sticking to the videos.

14. swan

swan Member

They're ok. I've got couple of them myself - one's from Jennifer Kries, and the other is Denise Austin. Like Jennifer's better. It's always good to join a group matt class once in a while or private even, so that you've got someone w/ trained eyes to make sure your form is correct.

I agreed that there's an overflow of so-called Pilates instructors. You really need to find a good one, otherwise will be a waste of money.

There're also so many pilates method now. They're totally different from one to the other...

Good luck w/ the video - it's better than no pilates ;)

15. Laura

Laura New Member

Personally, I wouldn't start with a video, but if I had taken some mat classes or had some one-on-one training then I would use a video to do my own workouts at home. To me, learning the pilates exercises requires just as much attention to detail as learning how to dance, and I wouldn't try to learn to dance from scratch from a video either. My Pilates teacher spends a lot of time teaching me how to find and activate the right muscles without me overdoing it, clenching, etc. And that has been the key for me: learning how to specifically get things right. So much of dancing, especially in Standard, is an illusion. How you think you might do something does not necessarily correspond to how it is actually done. It's the same with Pilates. A Pilates tape might say something like "press the small of your back into the floor," but you'll find that there's a good deal more to it than that. What part of your back really needs to press? How hard? Are you distorting something elsewhere to achieve this? Why? Do you need to? How do you correct it? Are you even using the right muscles to do this? It just goes on and on, just like dancing. That's why I say take a series of mat classes until you can do the workout there without the teacher having to correct you, then go and do the videos.

16. lynn

lynn New Member

OK, I'm flipping through the programs in our communicty centre...... What's the distinction between pilates & yoga?? I know they both build on strength & flexibility but I'm not sure what the difference is? Which one should I start with?

17. Laura

Laura New Member

I've done both, and here is my take:

Yoga is all about taking a pose and holding it. Pilates is all about doing a movement or series of movements. Both are beneficial, and both are fun. I prefer Pilates since when I dance ballroom I'm not taking poses and holding them. However, I do enjoy yoga. You could try both and see which one works better for you. Your yoga teacher might be a better teacher and really "speak" to your needs and goals. Or your Pilates teacher might be right on the money. Or you might try both and then decide to check out tai chi (this was suggested by a visiting coach I recently had a lesson with).

18. alemana

alemana New Member

19. alemana

alemana New Member

i am also a little disinterested in the mind/body/spirit part of many yoga practices, which is why i lean philosophically and temperamentally toward pilates.

20. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I think Vinyasa yoga for example is all about flowing through the poses with breath, not holding the poses. Other types of yoga are very focused on alignment and holding the pose...

Once you choose yoga or pilates, you wtill need to choose between different styles of each. I do a little bit of both (very little) and I find them both really useful....