flexibility and fitness for ballroom dancers

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by alemana, Jun 22, 2005.

1. lynn

lynn New Member

O.K., thanks ladies! Pilates it is!
    I tried Winsor pilates for a while (yes, i was caught in all the hype :oops: ) but somehow i get the feeling that's not real pilates..... Let's hope i'll have a better experience in a classroom setting!

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I think you should try both at least once before you make your decision (I personally prefer yoga)

:)

3. lynn

lynn New Member

Really?? Do you mind sharing your take on both? My dad does yoga & he's super flexible (he's in his 60s and he can bend his body in ways i couldn't even do since probably 6 :oops: .....)

4. alemana

alemana New Member

i wanted to try out Pilates for the first time this weekend, but it's shaping up into potentially one of the craziest weekends in forever. june is a massive salsa frenzy in nyc, plus this weekend is gay pride, yadda yadda. oy.

5. Katarzyna

Perhaps I am more used to it because I definitely did more of yoga than pilates... Pilates seems to be much more of similar to other gym classes, I feel yoga builds the flexibility more.

I feel like Pilates just builds strength and muscles, and yoga seems to stretch and enlongate but still strenghten...

Don't know that much about it, but that's what I felt in the different classes I took... My goal is mailny the flexibility, I am already very strong and always have been. I am not very flexible though...

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I've done both Pilates and yoga...a little. Must do more stretching etc every day though before I start doing either regularly. Must get into the habit...

7. Katarzyna

I am spoiled, I have a really nice gym in my work building (Equinox), and I can usually go during my lunch hour. Going for a yoga class in 10 minutes.

I usually do stretch classes 2 times a week as well. I see a lot of improvement, but still a long way to go... Right now I can touch way past my toes, but my hip flexers are still pretty bad....

8. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Pilates is an off-shoot of Yoga. I've done both and there's more than one kind of yoga. I do Hatha (stretching) Yoga rather than Kundalini (aerobic) Yoga. Hatha is a great warm-up for Pilates. :)

9. DancingMommy

As do I. BUt for maybe a different reason. ;) The (morning) Pilates instructor at our Y is a wench.

10. lynn

lynn New Member

Oh, thanks, I was wondering how come there r tons of different types of yoga. I definately need some flexibility training, my entire body's sore from last night's class....

11. Medira

Medira New Member

Yeah, the instructor can make all the difference in the world....

12. Laura

Laura New Member

This is making me crazy. I've been trying to reply on this thead but keep getting an error message saying I don't have permission. I started a new topic and had no problem, so there's something about this thread that won't let me post? Odd. If this works I'll try to remember what it was I was trying to say and add it to this message.

EDIT:

This is where finding the right teacher makes the difference. I know I say I take Pilates, but it's really Pilates with a lot of Feldenkrais ATM (awareness through movement) added. My Pilates teacher used to be a professional dancer with her own performance troupe, and so we work a lot on flexibilty, body awareness, and how to make things work. I do a lot of hamstring stretches, and have learned to do full splits. We've found and unstuck tight places in my back, worked on improving flexibility in my feet so I can articulate them more (I had no idea that the feet could move in so many places...there are joints in there that I never knew existed), and added a lot more flexibility to my torso (particularly with anything involving my lats).

I feel very fortunate to have found this teacher, and am bringing my Standard coach to her for a series of lessons so that the two of them can help each other to understand what the other is teaching me and what the ultimate goals for improving my dancing are.

13. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Kundalini Yoga is not aerobic. It's spiritual.
    There are lots of types of yoga. It's calming, centering, strengthening, stretching.

Pilates is a core-centered training for dancers.

14. DancingMommy

My bad. They only have the two types listed at the Y and I took both classes and figured the one that was the aerobic kind was the Kundalini one since the Hatha one was the one I take... Oh welll,... serves me right for not checking up on my terms

15. chachachacat

That's okay, there are a lot of different types of Yoga, different depths.
    People can be easily confused.
    It's all mind/body/spirit integration, but Hatha starts out with just the physical aspect, mainly.
    Yoga has been around forever, and can be a spiritual path.

16. DancingMommy

Interestingly enough, I have a real aversion to the new agey stuff, but Yoga really gives me a sense of centeredness that I have not able to find anywhere else (shhhh don't tell my uber-Christian family that though).

I'm betting that getting my mind and body and spirit working as one unit is the key. I'm also having a minute crisis of Faith, but it is in no way related, lol.

17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

So what is the "power yoga" that I've been seeing in gyms? Is it truly yoga, or is the label just a marketing term for something else?

18. chachachacat

I believe it's not pure ancient Yoga, it's a hybrid.
    To me, the slowness and breathing and holding the poses is integral to yoga, but I'm not an expert in all the different types.

19. yola

yola New Member

i'm no expert, but i know that there are various styles of yoga. Most people know 'hatha yoga': this is the one with long poses, relaxation, stretching and breathing exercises.
    There is also a kind called 'kundalini yoga'. I think 'power yoga' and maybe pilates as well, are loosely based on that kind.
    I've taken some classes (kundalini yoga) a while ago. aside from the spiritual side of kundalini.. it works as a realy hard-core workout!. a lot of the exercises are about strengthening your 'weeker parts': ie where there are no bones to protect your body => largest week part in our body is of course the stomach/tummy area!! it consists not of poses, but of dynamic exerxises combined with breathing exercises, especially something called 'firebreathing'.
    you have to have a good / trusted teacher though, i've heard it can be very intense!

edit: sorry :oops: should have read a bit more of this tread before responding.... Kundalini has come up already... :oops:

20. Katarzyna

I've been hearing a lot about the Feldenkrais lately, sounds really interesting. There is a class at my gym, but during a wrong time :( I really want to try this out...