flexibility and fitness for ballroom dancers

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by alemana, Jun 22, 2005.

1. alemana

alemana New Member

in the just-published edition of dancesportcomps.com, they review a flexibility book that has really changed my life, the WHARTON'S STRETCH BOOK.

uses resistance bands to do isolation stretches of nearly every muscle in the body. i've been doing the stretches most every day and quickly realized how beneficial they are to my dancing and flexibility in general.

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I need the video....exercise books just don't do it for me. Thanks for the website, though...I just ordered two other books!

3. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

I would definitely recommend ballet.... not that I'm biased :)... but it is a great way to tone and develop muscles while enhancing flexibility. Many studios offer an adult class, which is geared towards adult bodies and keeping flexibility. It's often cheaper, too, than the classes for younger kids, and is scheduled at a more flexible time.

4. wyllo

wyllo New Member

I bought this book last week and love it! I did the muscle-by-muscle evaluation and it was a revelation -- the areas where I am least flexible are also where I am weakest. The exercises already have helped loosen up some tight muscles, so I'm really excited to see where this will take me in a few weeks.

5. alemana

alemana New Member

i'm still using it religiously. in fact every evening i look forward to the 45 minutes i spend on the mat with my resistance band. usually i say to myself 'i'll just do it for 15 min' but it feels so good, i can't stop.

i confess i sometimes also moan as i do the exercises.

i have been able to increase my flexibility a lot as well as diagnose where i am tighter on one side versus the other - my pilates teacher has confirmed this independently.

i think the book is worth the price for the hip exercises ALONE - latin/rhythm dancers, this book has a stretch for every single extensor and flexor you ever cared to know about and loosen up. i secretly believe the improvement in my rumba movement is partially due to using this book.

6. Keelzorz

Keelzorz New Member

My knees have been bugging the heck out of me (not a good sign the week before a comp). I picked up a set of resistance bands yesterday while I was out running errands - it really looks like this book might be worth picking up. I wonder if any of the nearby colleges have it in their libraries. But at $10.37 on amazon, that's cheaper than the resistance bands themselves.

7. chica latina

chica latina New Member

If I were you and I was getting hurt, I would ask my coach to remove them from the coreography. That's not going to make you win!! and your back is more important. He should find your strengths and have those as "show-off" moments.

My partner had once a slide in our routine, but practicing he will ruin his pants and in comps his knees will get stuck in those "put-together" floors. He will be bleeding sometimes. So we decided it wasn't worth it. Now, I'm really happy we took them out, because we found out his knees swell sometimes (haven't figured out why but it's not dance related).

8. alemana

alemana New Member

the moves are long gone, but soon i'll be ready to put them back :)

9. Egoist

Egoist Member

I have been recommending AI stretching for a while. It works great not only to gain flexibility but also to warm up and cool down. Lately, I have been neglecting the stretches, but I will start on them again as nothing beats it. People are always looking at me funny when I take out the rope.

10. mamboqueen

If you go to half. com, you will find cheaper copies of this book. It is a great source for cheaper than market books. I have also sold there.

*just noticed you can find cheaper/used copies on amazon .com, too.

11. lynn

lynn New Member

I was on amazon looking up THE WHARTON'S STRETCH BOOK and saw several reviews where people were concerned that the lack of diagrams makes the book hard to follow. I've never really focused on stretching exercises before so I'm a little worried that the book might be too advanced for me. As I'm thinking of picking up some stretching materials I'm now wondering whether or not I should go for videos instead of books, any suggestions?

12. mamboqueen

That is why I much prefer videos. If they were smart, they'd make the book into a video. Doing certain stretches incorrectly could do more harm than good.

13. lynn

lynn New Member

any recommendations for a good video, MQ :wink:??

14. mamboqueen

I use a Tammi Lee Webb one on this page

http://www.activevideos.com/stretching.htm

it's the one with the blue cover. I love it.

I was looking at those Lester Horton ones also listed, but would like to know more about them....reviews, etc.

I also do a Firm Yoga workout that is really a bunch of stretches and strength moves (not the "meditational" type of yoga) that I really get a lot out of, too.

Going to start a resources thread somewhere very soon....!

15. lynn

lynn New Member

A resource thread would definately be appreciated!!

I was thinking about those yoga/pilates videos? The ones I came across focus more on toning the centre rather than on stretching - maybe i'm just looking at the wrong kinds?

16. mamboqueen

The yoga and pilates videos I have do both, and I have yet to come across any that didn't have some stretching involved.

Have you ever tried Pilates using the stability ball? That might be a good one for you given your back issues. Honestly, that's where I'd actually start if I had back problems because the ball is really good at working your "core" without being tough on your back.

17. lynn

lynn New Member

i have a stability ball at home - but the video i got with it is more cardio than stretching (it's one of those weight-loss exercises....).

18. mamboqueen

I'm having a tough time envisioning cardio with the ball *LOL* Dribble it and shoot baskets?!! Take a look on ebay and see what kind of videos for the ball you can find. I use Core Secrets. It's very, very good. We also have Fitness on Demand on our cable stations and there's some really good (free if you have cable) workouts on there, one of which is a Pilates Ball workout. I'll see if I can get the girl's name and if she has any videos. I *really* feel it in the belly the next couple of days with that one.

19. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Yeah, I agree that the diagrams leave a lot to be desired. It is a lot easier to follow if you have some familiarity of muscle locations since it tells you which muscles should be activated and which ones are getting stretched.

20. alemana

alemana New Member

i like the diagrams and i especially like the narrative descriptions. ... very long but i'm a word person, i can relate. i lay there with the book in one hand and my band in the other.

look, people learned to stretch and dance and all that **** before there were videos. it's not rocket science.... just stick it out.