flexibility and fitness for ballroom dancers

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by alemana, Jun 22, 2005.

1. alemana

alemana New Member

but nothing against videos. i just never work out at home. i live in ny, i don't have that kind of space.

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Stick *what* out??!! :raisebro:

No, it isn't rocket science, but I'm a *visual* person...I have never done exercises using a book, only classes or tapes. If I had to build a rocket using a book, trust me, you wouldn't want to be the first person going on it!

It's funny because I see (guys mostly) people occasionally traipsing around on a dance studio floor with what I'm guessing is a syllabus book doing steps. I can't possibly learn that way.

3. alemana

alemana New Member

we're a classic illustration of opposite learning types - you're right!

4. alemana

alemana New Member

(and i believe i see it sticking out way over here from Midtown)

5. mamboqueen

no problem...we still share our love of cheese pizza.

6. Egoist

Egoist Member

Here's the DVD of Wharton's Active Isolated Stretching. BTW, it does not use resistance bands as was earlier mentioned, but uses a common nylon rope.

www.whartonperformance.com/orders

Click on Video.

7. mamboqueen

I may have to give that a whirl. Have you (or anyone) tried this video?

8. Egoist

Egoist Member

I have not. I learned from the book.

9. Josh

Josh Active Member

Hmm they have a package consisting of the rope, book, and DVD, all for $45 total (plus a ridiculous $15 for shipping, but whatever). I'm going to order it now. I have been wanting to increase my flexibility for the longest time.

10. alemana

alemana New Member

i bought my resistance band in a little packet like that, with a DVD i've never used, for 12 bucks at barnes and noble:

http://tinyurl.com/n85hj

11. redhead

redhead New Member

alemana,
    I want to thank you for your suggestion.
    I tried stretching with this book yesterday, and today is the first time in 5 years (since my car accident) my neck doesn't hurt!

12. alemana

alemana New Member

so good to hear!!! way to go, i'm glad it worked for you.

13. Josh

Josh Active Member

ok, just got my book, DVD, and rope in the mail. Read the intro. Now to stretch... I'm stoked! :)

so ale, are you doing all 59 stretches or which ones have you found are particularly useful for your dancing?

14. mamboqueen

Got the book today, too. Should be interesting. I just briefly perused it...but I'm hoping that you don't need a partner for a lot of these exercises.

15. alemana

alemana New Member

i never use a partner. i use my band, the book and a mat on the floor if available.

i think all of them are 'good' for dancers, but we all have our particular issues - tightness and/or asymmetry in the hips especially for latin dancers, core flexibility for everyone, stunted shoulder motion for salsa followers, tight hamstrings epidemic among men and anyone who runs, etc.

for fun, stretch once before you dance and compare how it feels to stretch after you dance. very interesting. i'm to the point where i find it difficult to go a day without doing the stuff, either before or after working out. my body actually craves it, and i dance markedly better when i'm stretched.

josh - at least twice a week, i do a "hardcore" stretch (30-45 min) where i work on all parts of my body. other days i do an abbreviated routine.

The Hardcore Stretch

- i do all the lower-body and most of the trunk exercises
    - do only 1 or 2 foot exercises, but am going to increase that
    - don't do any hand or forearm work
    - i do the neck work without fail, it's an issue of mine

Abbreviated Stretch

when i'm doing a quickie, i do

-4 or 5 leg/hip stretches
    -neck stretch
    -swing-your-arms-like-a-toy-soldier shoulder stretch
    -erector spinae (?) stretch (you sit on the floor with legs bent in front of you and sort of hug your core down and forward toward your thighs, providing a deep stretch in the muscles inserting into your spine.)
    -obliques stretch (classic standing exercise bending to one side then the other)

16. alemana

alemana New Member

i carry my band in the little bag around all the time now. people laugh when they see me on the floor stretching out my hips and moaning.

17. mamboqueen

You little stretching junkie ;)

Yes, I am having a similar experience. I cannot dance without stretching first (at least when it comes to lessons...I'm a little leery about showing up for a social and stretching in front of everyone...if I can, I do it before I get in the car).

I have found just adding the stretching/yoga into my daily existence makes me just feel better, period. And I agree that it does get addictive.

18. Egoist

Egoist Member

I can't tell you how many times people in the studio approach me to ask me if it hurts.

19. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

Yoga and general stretching is incredibly addictive! I do yoga every day now and always do yoga with extra stretching before dancing. I think my body has gotten so used to it though that I can't go without it. The other day I was running through my samba routine as I was getting dressed do to yoga (unstretched) and my hip made the loudest 3 popping noises I've ever heard- lol! I guess I was stiff from 4 hrs of dancing the previous day, but it was weird! Plus yoga always helps me calm mentally and get focused "in the zone" before practice.
    I stretch anywhere and everywhere- no shame- and Alemana is right, the moaning does seem to attract stares ;)

20. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Ropes schmopes. I like the old fashioned stretching. :D

Twilight Elena