Foot blister

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Lioness, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

So, my new Supadance ballroom shoes have given me a blister on the side of my ankle...and it's 4 days until my competition.

What should I do? How can I help it heal faster, and protect it while I practise? Can I stop the blister happening again, or is it a consequence of wearing in the shoes?

At the moment, it's extremely painful to dance, especially with rise and fall. Waltz and foxtrot are the absolute worst, which is problematic, because we sorta need to practise them lots...

Any suggestions would be handy :)
  2. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

first, you are getting blisters because the shoes are either too small or too big. You need to figure out which.
    The immediate solution is to cover the blister and use an antibioitic ointment to decrease healing time (neosporin, bacitracin; several times a day with new clean bandage).
    You can then get moleskin to protect the area but I would not put it directly on an open sore. It can actually be put inside the shoe if necessary where the rubbing and blistering is occurring. It has more cushioning than bandaids and will help. To cushion it more you can put a small gauze square (walgreens, cvs) under the bandaid to reduce friction when dancing. You basically want the rubbing to be only the gauze and bandaid. not the skin. The rubbing is what is causing the blister and the pain.
    If the shoes are too loose get insoles to tighten them up. If they are too tight bring them to a shoe repair place and have them stretched the slightest bit.
    I have heard of it happening and it isn't the shoe just the way it fits your particular foot. Your foot is not wrong, not right, it just is what it is.
  3. Lioness

I'm not sure that it's too small or big...it seems to fit perfectly.

The only thing I can see is that there is a seam right where the blister is forming, and I think that's what's rubbing. I will definitely be putting some padding around there before comp time.
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i feel for ya, nessie...for me, that's the worst. i got that right before a competition when i received new shoes (the same size as always, so not necessarily "too small or too big", but owing to variation in their construction, alas) and they rubbed against the back of my foot, above the heel. it stripped bare during a comp, the edge of the shoes excruciatingly rubbing onto the raw wound with every rise & fall (i danced standard with bare feet/legs), and was a theme for awhile because i was doing a streak of comps at that time.

i tried everything i could put my hands on, all manner of tapes & bandages, and what i found was...

this is the best bandage, bar none:
    http://www.nexcare dot com/wps/port...0000_nid=VBD2J92XX4gs0GMR7RRQNHgl874M7PK6N0bl

it stretches nicely to mold to your foot, it's a neutral color, it's waterproof, it won't slip, and it comes off when you want it to. best i can say is, pad the wound (with a gel bandaid, if possible) and cover with the tape well-wrapped around your foot & ankle.
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yup.
  6. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

I've had great success with anti-blister spray (called blistoff or something like that). You should be able to pick it up from any well-stocked pharmacy or chemist.
  7. Lioness

Thanks guys,

I'll check out a couple of chemists tomorrow.

Sami: Not sure that they have that in Aus, but I'll have a look for something similar :)
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

look in the pharmacy department of your large walmart-type stores...
  9. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

There is also this: http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=209995&productId=209995&navAction=push&navCount=4&no_new_crumb=true

I discovered it at a social dance and it is fabulous. Whenever I get new shoes I wrap my feet in it for a few practices until they're just a little more broken in. I think it is similar to what samina recommended, but it might be a little thinner so you can layer it and not have it affect the fit of the rest of the shoe.
  10. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, did you actually dance barefoot?
  11. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I use Johnson and Johnson Blister BandAids. They are Rubberized Gel cushion with some ointment in the center bubble and truly to not come off, peel off or wear off unless you remove them. For me, they are very cushy, especially with new shoes, They are sold in two different sizes...one size is larger - about the size of a wafer and the smaller size does well for blisters on the toes. I now carry them in my dance bag everywhere I go.
  12. pinkstuff

pinkstuff Member

I always get blisters with new dance shoes. Try compede blister plasters. They provide cushioning and also help with healing. Compede also make a roll on 'foot chapstick' which helps prevent blisters by providing a layer between foot & shoe. Don't bother with other cheaper versions. They don't work as well.
  13. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Lioness, I hope this works for you...

MAX's I-DESPERATELY-NEED-TO-DANCE-IN-THIS-COMPETITION EMERGENCY blister management secret:

You will need:

1. Aluminum gutter tape (silver) used for sealing, you guessed it... roof gutters
    2. Moleskin (and anti-bac cream, in case of puncture)
    3. Medical tape (flesh color)

To use:

• Use the first to cover the area causing the friction (the idea is to neutralize the area that causes the friction and make it slippery, so apply on a WIDE area as reasonable)
    • The second goes around the blister (cut a hole)
    • The third covers the moleskin liberally (slides on the aluminum tape)

TAKE HEED:

• The ALUMINUM TAPE WILL DESTROY YOUR SHOE (because when you remove the aluminum tape, the adhesive will remain in place---and render the leather sticky (I ---and other DPs---left the tape in, so as not to cause future problems). You might be able to remove the adhesive by acetone, but that depends on the material too.
    • This is a last ditch solution, so if you can, use it on an older shoe.
    • Use only 1 flat piece of the Aluminum tape (carefully apply---you don't want to create overlaps, folds, or seams that will cause new friction blisters), generous enough to cover a wide area---but not much larger than the area covered by the med/moleskin combo.
    • NOTE that it will make that area of the shoe slippery (so adjust for that in your dancing)---so first, test the medical tape you're using--to make sure it slides on the aluminum tape
    • Paint the aluminum tape if you need to fold it over the visible part of the shoe (or in my partner's case, make it look like a design)
    • I suggest that you take out the insole before applying the tape so the sole of the foot doesn't rub on the aluminum tape.

Results may vary depending on placement, blister, and application skill, but I've found it to work satisfactorily in most cases.

Good luck!!!

m
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have had horrible blisters to the point of bleeding...the only thing that has allowed me to dance with them is liquid skin...hurts like hades to apply to an open blister...but once dried, applying several layers does the trick
  15. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

I appreciate that but blisters are caused by rubbing, I am pretty sure. If there is stitching or an uneven spot that rubbing will definitely cause it. Again if you put something on the shoe itself where that spot is, such as moleskin it should help. The cure is to protect it until it heals. Any of the items mentioned probably will be fine. I just gravitate to and antibiotic ointment because you don't want it to infect. I suggest moleskin because it seems to be the most popular to those who have emergencies when I am vending at a competition.
    Just protect it.
  16. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the best solution is for right now, but regular bandaids seem to do the trick (at least for me) for future prevention. My quite-well-worn standard shoes still rub against my heels and cause blisters if I forget to put bandaids on first.
  17. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

I usually just put band-aid on that area, even during competitions. For practise before competitions I will put band-aid AND wear socks but 2 days before competition I will lose the socks to get used to the feel of the shoes.

What one of my previous dance instructors recommended was to heat up white vinegar until it is boiling, turn off the heat and then soak the part which is causing the pain for 30 minutes and dry it. Seems to work for her and the other dancers. I haven't tried it myself though.
  18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Owwwwwwwwch! That sounds excruciating. Vinegar? In a blister? *shudder*
  19. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

No no no! I meant the part of the shoe which was causing the blister. You can't soak your feet in boiling vinegar! :p
  20. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh! Thank. Goodness! :lol: