Foot blister

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Lioness, Apr 3, 2012.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

My vote is good old fashioned antibiotic ointment, bandaid, and then some padding (moleskin) over that.

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

just a word of warning to anyone who tries this at a comp -- no chance in hades it will hold up. takes a lot of ingenuity (hah, see max's post :)) to protect a blister during comping.

but fasc's liquid skin product sounds promising...

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I love max's post. Who knew that ones chances of winning a comp could be maximized by a trip to Lowes? :lol: Oh!! The things we do to keep dancing.

Here? I try to head blisters off at the pass, so deb's suggestion has worked for me, most of the time. Any time I'm wearing new shoes, the bandaids are out in abundance, at my known trouble spots, to try to prevent blister formation. Even the *eventually* best-fitting shoe can be a difficult fit, at first. I try not to wear *super* new shoes, when I absolutely have to perform well.

*But* having danced on bleeding feet and broken toes more than a time or two, I have to say that I think this is a groovy thread. Lots and lots of ideas for different approaches. Very cool. :-D

Good luck L. And in parting, word to the wise: She who has the most tape wins. :wink: :lol:

4. kckc

kckc Active Member

5. pygmalion

Business opportunity: Swarovski studded first aid tape... in various flesh tones. :idea: :lol:

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

My now ex-partner used a product called Bodyglide on her feet to head off blisters at the pass. It's an anti-chafing product used by cyclists and long distance runners.

7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I should've noticed the blister forming, and stopped practising right then. But I didn't :(

So far, normal bandaids haven't been much use, because they keep moving.
    So, I went to the chemist today, and I bought:

Some super-cushy blister thingies...the chemist told me they were good.
    Some heavy-duty bandaids, that claim they won't come off until they're ripped off.
    And some sports tape, to keep EVERYTHING in place.

Here's hoping it works...

8. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Ouch, don't worry, that blister will be just a speedbump after all that trip to the chemist! I usually wash the area and then swab liberally with tea tree oil, I'm sure there's plenty where you are :) It'll help kill off any bugs and does a good job of drying the blister out.

To dance on it, I pad it with something breathable like gauze, and air it out to let it dry any chance I get. If it has burst, protecting it from infection is important, keep an eye if it's turning green or any other strange colour :)

I try not to burst mine unless I get impatient, but dancing on them invariably does it for me anyway. So as a quick fix when they have burst, I make sure as much fluid is drained as possible, clean and swab and let it dry out without covering it (annoying on the toes...) Clean and swab about 3-5 times that day, letting it get really dry and padding when I need to move on it. A day of hassle and they're usually dry and pain-free within 24-48 hours. Sleep with that foot uncovered and it's often dry by morning for me :p Good luck!

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have tried the ointment and bandage route...between the ointment and the sweat, the bandage will never hold...you either need tape of the sort max decribes or some other equally industrial type of tape if you are going that route...ime, sadly, you cannot both treat the blister and strategize over how to dance on it simultaneously...when dancing on it, the only goal can be how to shield it from the sort of painful rubbing that got you there in the first place....which is to have substitute, non-moving layers of something over it, because any shifting of what you are using is going to cause pain...lwhich is why, after the bitter sting has dissappated, the liquid skin is so awesome....you put 3 or 4 applications on and you have a repaired foot...in may not be what is best for the blister in the long run...but it is what will get you through the comp with the least amount of worry....I have very fragile skin and I go through shoes at a fairly rapid clip so the liquid skin, with optional athletic tape, or a small square of duct, or whatever...SOMETHING THAT WILL NOT BE PHASED BY MOISTURE...is what I have found to work

10. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

As a ballet dancer, blisters were pretty common and major issues but we were also told to stink it up, dance with them uncovered, and let them form into calluses...

However, we did find one trick that made that a lot more bearable, oragel. Usually used for teething babies, it will also numb blisters if the strongest layer of skin is no longer there. When I was breaking in my first pair of ballroom shoes, oragel went on my feet and tape went onto the back of the shoe to make sure it stayed clean.

11. fascination

yes..I find cream counterproductive as it keeps the skin soft and the area moist....oragel is great in terms of the fact that it will temporarily numb..

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lolz...no kidding...the BEST tape i found was actually "Tyvek" tape from Home Depot...that stuff was awesome. HOWEVER...it's shiny white with TYVEK written in big blue letters. Not exactly compatible with comping. :tongue: I actually used it for several comps because I was so desperate...until I found the comfy, stretchy waterproof tape, yay.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

fwiw, the waterproof tape i listed above (and that Tyvek tape) both work brilliantly with sweat, moisture and ointment.

14. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I've found that when I'm not dancing, it's better to leave the blister uncovered, as long as it's not so bad it will get infected. Letting it breath seems to speed up the healing process for me rather than keeping it moist.

15. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

That's almost (but not quite) as bad as the local lady who told me to wear a cabbage on m head to get rid of my headache.
    I should have asked her for vinegar?
    Vinegar on a blister. Nope,

16. pygmalion

lol! I misunderstood the directions. I, too, was more than a bit startled at what I *thought* laucy was suggesting. Egad! :lol:

17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yep. IME, and from my own research, clean, dry, and exposed is better for healing than covered with creams and bandaids. Obviously, if it's infected you've got to deal with that, and if you're dancing on it you have to protect it, but other than those situations it's best to leave it alone and uncovered. No strong soap, nothing antibacterial, no coverings. Shampoo and soap sluicing over it in the shower should be enough, or soak it in mild salt water for five minutes twice a day. For the love of Pete, definitely no peroxide or alcohol!!!

18. pygmalion

I like neosporin (antibacterial/analgesic cream depending on the formulation, for those not in the US and who may have different brand names) and air. Neosporin and air. Much faster healing. Done.

19. fascination

interesting...neosporin does nothing for me ...in fact, I really feel like all of the creams keep the thing from drying up and healing

20. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

When I have a bad blister, I tend to neosporin/bandaid when dancing on it to protect it and keep it from getting infected. Sometimes also during the day when I'm running around in work shoes...at least for the first day or two. Leave it uncovered to dry out at night. After the first day or two I would ditch the bandaids.