Frame? left hand "pain"..

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Katarzyna, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I've been doing somethig different with my left hand, trying to keep a stretch, and I've noticed a strange feeling above my elbow. It's not quite painful but it feels like a strange pull. It feels like my vein is being pulled... I see the vein and I don't see it on my right arm... There is an indentation where the vein is. Since I noticed that, I realized that the pull sensation is always there. For the last week or two, I've been always feeling like the blood doesn't get to my left hand, and my hand has been falling asleep all the time. Is this something I should be concerned about... ? Don't really feel like going to the doctor to check it out... but maybe I should. My step father mentioned something about blood pressure when I showed it to him, but he likes to scare me.. ?
  2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

If I were you, I'd get to a doctor right away and get this checked out. It could be nothing; maybe you just banged your elbow somewhere along the way, or slept with your arm in a funny position, and injured the nerve just a bit. On the other hand, it could be that something that you are doing is causing the nerve to become constricted in your elbow. Worse, you could have a blood clot in your arm. I don't know that the visual appearance of the vein necessarily means anything; I can look at my forearms and tell that they don't look quite the same -- maybe a function of how the dominant hand effects muscle development in that arm.

It might be coincidental that the problem started when you changed what you are doing with that arm. Some kind of repetitive stress injury? I wouldn't think that would be as much of a problem for a dancer (as opposed to, say, a tennis player). But I think any loss of sensation in a limb needs to be looked at. Please, for your own sake, see a doctor.
  3. Katarzyna

what sort of doctor do you recommend?
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

It's kind of hard to say, given that the problem could be any of several things. Best thing to do would be to go to a GP and let them refer you to someone, but since that involves paying for two visits before you even get started, I could understand if that were an issue. Is there a sports medicine clinic in your area? They probably have experience dealing with things like this, and you don't need a referral.
  5. Katarzyna

I am thinking of maybe paying a visit to my on site nurse in the office. She can at least take a look and recommend something...
  6. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

I have seen some ladies dancing with overly stretched left hand, making it almost look not resting on man's arm, but just perched there. It made me wonder if it hurts. Is it what you have been doing?

On a different note, how can a lady extend her left hand and fingers and secure it gracefully on man's arm without any discomfort? When I first started to take dance lessons, my instructor taught me to put man's bicep between my thumb and the rest of the fingers. It felt secure, but obviously out of style now. So it is my recent struggle to break my old habit and figure out a way to look good with my left hand gracefully and comfortably.
  7. Katarzyna

I am trying to let my hand be stretched out, but also remain on the man.. I am stretching out, but also from the elbow to the wrist in.. not sure I can explain what I mean...
  8. Katarzyna

I just went to the nurse office and saw the clinician there. Will go to the nurse at 4:00. The clinisian said she used to be a rockette.. she mentioned training with some famous ballet person in russia, who noticed a slight curvature of her upper spine. She said that it's something that will cause pain and she noticed that I have the same spine curvature.. not sure what to think of it? anyone heard something like that before?

she also mentioned that it will cause pain in my shoulders, something I didn't mention but experience occasionally. Which makes me trust what she was saying....
  9. saludas

saludas New Member

Does your coach have any thoughts on this?
  10. Katarzyna

They never mentioned anything.. now they are away at the International...

it's the first time I ever heard that..
  11. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

What is in style now? Most coaches I take with still tell me to place my hand in this way.

Kat, if you're overstretching your hand, you might be tensing it up as well and maybe that's what causes your numbness. When I try to place my hand unnaturally to imitate how I observe other girls place theirs (and therefore, inevitably doing it wrong), it becomes really tense, tenses up my whole upper body (including the shoulders, which could explain your shoulder pain too) and is just not conducive to comfortable dancing... So I stopped doing it and just do the apparently old-fashioned bicep between thumb and the rest of the fingers way...
  12. Katarzyna

not sure what you mean about the bicep and thumb. Not sure how that has anything to do with this because I really cannot imagine any other way to hold the man...

Shoulders hurt me in tango, but that's another issue, and not a constant one either...
  13. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I would say wrist on his arm, thumb nestled just below the bicep, 2nd finger on the upper outside of the arm and the other fingers elegantly flying (slighlty curved, not overly straight).

Things to avoid

- lifted wrist
    - dropped elbow
    - all fingers wrapped around & gripping outside of the arm

(these tend to occur together too - especially the wrist and elbow)

Some adjustments may need to be made for the ratio of arm lengths.
  14. Katarzyna

Chris, what i said was I can't imagine any other way to hold a man... or at least I aim to hold him like that, sometimes things shift wihle in movement, and position is lost, but taht's exactly the hold I would try to go for (although I've been told that I can hold a bit more on the outside)
  15. Chris Stratton

I think there are some things you don't do that could fit within dancebug's description, such as wrapping all the fingers around the outside of the arm. That would be 'secure' but not the desired look or connection dynamic.
  16. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

I have had all fingers wrapped around the arm (but I didn't grip), and I felt a lot more secure that way. What I have a problem with now is having fingers elegantly flying (as Chris put) without stiffening my arm.
  17. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I mean what Dancebug said is now out of style, I think. Although I'm not certain what she means :?
  18. Katarzyna

I've been told that you can either hold the thumbe between the index or the middle finger, while the other fingers stretch... I prefer the index finger method now, but it toom me months to get used to that rather than the middle finger I was doing before.
  19. Chris Stratton

I think the key, for both hands of both partners, is to change to a mindset of gently but precisely holding. One coach handed me his nearly empty foam coffee cup and said something to the effect of "see, you know exaclty how much pressure to use to hold this, but your arm is relaxed" It's almost more about feeling where your partner is rather than about moving or being moved by them.

This also goes very much with the idea of "your hands belong to your partner" If you connect that way, then it doesn't take much grip, because when an error in positioning occurs your hands stay with your partner but you body moves relative to them. You don't use your hands or arms to hold your bodies in position, you use them to feel what the right position would be and then recover by moving your body back into position relative to your hands. This helps a lot with having a personal sense of balance rather than the partners leaning on each other.
  20. Egoist

Egoist Member

I had a friend that described the same symptoms you describe and ended up having to have her whole arm amputated.