Frame? left hand "pain"..

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Katarzyna, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Ouch. What was behind the symptoms?

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

was it dance related :shock:

3. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Agreed, except that I prefer the 3rd (i.e., middle) finger on the upper outside of the arm, not the 2nd, and I would add that the palm is facing mostly out, not down.

4. Chris Stratton

Being an engineer I count the thumb as finger zero. So we're talking about the same finger.

5. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

I found holding the arm with the index finger more comfortable. What are your reasons to recommend the middle finger?

6. Katarzyna

I believe most people use middle finger.. Not sure why...

7. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

I used to hold with index finger until a well known coach told me to change it to my middle finger. He said that holding with thumb and index finger is like grabing on your partner, and it looks nicer with middle finger instead.

Not sure if this is just his personal thoughts or some universal believes.

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Not saying this is the case, but every time I hear of something like this, I think of J. R. Richard. He was a baseball pitcher for the Houston Astros, circa 1980, and a rising star in the sport. One day, while warming up for a game, he complained that his pitching arm felt "dead". He didn't know it, but he had a blood clot in his arm. A few hours later, the clot migrated to his brain. He suffered a severe stroke, which ended his career and left him disabled.

That's why I'd feel better if Kat would get that looked at right away. It's probably just a minor nerve irritation, but you never know...

9. Katarzyna

Not sure, I used to always hold with middle finger till it was changed couple months ago by my coach... So I guess different people have different preferences..

10. Katarzyna

Don't like getting scared.. I will see the nurse in an hour and share what she says.... hope it's nothing...

11. lynn

lynn New Member

i hope it's nothing too....[hugs]

Good luck with your doctor/nurse visit!

12. Katarzyna

It's not really painful, just a very strange feeling I didn't experience before... and it feel like a vein is being pulled....

13. Chris Stratton

I find I often get a pulled feeling on either side of my neck if I really relax my arms - more true at my sides than in hold. Sometimes it goes to the point of a tingling, nerve pinched/interrupted circulation kind of feeling. If it's only doing in it certain (abnormal to everday life) positions I wouldn't worry much, but if you can see someone without even leaving work, go for it.

14. Katarzyna

Well, I know what feeling you are describing, but this is kind of different. I feel it now even when I move my hand or when I bend my elbow... It's not a feeling of strech like you described. I am checking this soon...

15. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

While I agree that you should get it checked out to be on the safe side, I wouldn't get all bent out of shape worrying about some of the worst case scenarios people have mentioned here until a doctor tells you that you should.

A friend of mine had similar numbness in her hand. Turned out it was a pinched nerve from carrying groceries. In time, it worked itself out.

So don't worry yourself too much. Just see a doctor to be on the safe side, and hopefully he or she will tell you it's no big deal. :)

16. Katarzyna

I hope so. Some people hare are starting to freak me out :)

17. cornutt

Apologies for that. I'm not trying to scare you, just motivate you a bit.

18. Katarzyna

Well, I'm seeing the nurse in 15 min. I wasn't referring to you as much as Egoist who mentioned amputation :shock: :lol:

19. cornutt

Oops, yeah, I had another horror story, but I decided to save it. Please let us know. Chances are it's just an irritated nerve and you'll be fine in a few days.

20. lynn

lynn New Member

another horror story :shock: ?? saving it for halloween??? this thread is almost giving me a heart attack.....