Frame? left hand "pain"..

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Katarzyna, Oct 10, 2005.

1. lynn

lynn New Member

hmm, pre-mouse era :shock: ?? what did people use when they didn't have a mouse?? i remember my first computer came with a mouse and that was a LONG time ago!!
  2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Toggle switches.
  3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

He's only half kidding. Back in the day, all computers used to have an "operator panel" full of switches. Among them were 8 (or 16, or 36, or whatever the word size was) where you could toggle individual bits into memory and load programs... one word at a time. It was a bit before my time, but there was a time when in order to run a program, somone had to laboriously toggle each word into memory, one word at a time, maybe for hours. The high school I went to had a Data General Nova 2 minicomputer (a $20K machine in its day, with a whopping 128K bytes of memory, and two 5MB disk drives). At one point we discovered that we could cut about two minutes out of the post-crash cycle time by toggling in a disk drive recalibrate instruction into memory, before invoking the boot loader. We got to where we could set up the bit pattern in the switches, store it, step-execute that instruction, reset the switches to the channel number of the disk, and hit PROGRAM LOAD in a matter of seconds.

These computers lacked any meaningful graphics. Everything was a command-line interface -- think DOS, or something similar. Most of the terminals attached to our Nova 2 were the electro-mechanical monstrosities known as the Teletype ASR-33. If you've ever seen an old IBM Selectric typewriter, with the type ball that moves up and down and spins, they kind of worked like that -- except cruder and a lot louder. They were hot, noisy, and always smelled like a machine shop. And they could only print upper-case letters, and at a whopping 10 characters per second (a good typist can type that fast).

I learned to type on an ASR-33. The key travel was about 3/4 inch from the top of the stroke to the bottom. For most of that it was almost completely slack; no feel at all. Then, it would engage the encoding mechanism, and first there would be a lot of resistance, and then the key would actually kick back at your finger! And you had to be smooth, or it would jam. I developed a heck of a lot of strength in my fingers from that, and to this day I beat the heck out of keyboards. Just today, the IT people at work came around to bring me a new laptop (yay!) and they brought a new keyboard to go with it. The IT lady made a comment about how utterly lacking in feel my old one was. I just wore it out.

So yes, computers with meeces are still a relatively new thing to me. The first mouse I ever used was the old two-LED optical types that Sun supplied with its early workstations. They had a special gridded metal mouse pad you had to use it with. However, we soon discovered that they worked just dandy with certain blue jeans. After that, people started to ask why we seemed to wear the same pants every day. Eventually, the mechanical tracking-ball meeces displaced the old optical types. But now the optical ones are back, and they don't need a special pad. Everthing old is new again, sort of.
  4. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Right handed...
  5. Egoist

Egoist Member

And here I was worried sick about your arm. Thank the Lord Jesus Christ and P-Diddy that you are well !!

BTW, now that I remember my friend didn't have his arm amputated, just his nails clipped.
  6. Katarzyna

You are going to get yourself in troble one day with such great memory... :lol:
  7. lynn

lynn New Member

eh...and the friend was a "she" in the original post :lol: :lol: :lol: ....
  8. Katarzyna

How can you trust a man after that.. :roll:
  9. lynn

lynn New Member

i'd say maybe you can't :roll: ....
  10. Katarzyna

But then, life wouldn't be fun, would it?
  11. lynn

lynn New Member

hmm, kind of like gambling....
  12. Katarzyna

Exciting. no risk, no excitement.. the bigger risk, the bigger excitement (although I am getting old for excitement here)
  13. lynn

lynn New Member

I guess it depends on the probability of winning/losing and the rate of return :roll: ....
  14. Katarzyna

Anyway, going to bed soon, I hope my arm doesn't fall asleep with me.
  15. lynn

lynn New Member

night! hope you'll feel better tomorrow!
  16. Katarzyna

I went to yoga today, and managed to go through practice fine so everythign should be ok.. I hope :)
  17. Egoist

Egoist Member

As they say where I come from: You caught me with the hands on the dough.

It is curious how everyone was so eager to believe such nonsense as the one I posted in the first place.

BTW, I heard about someone with the same symptoms as Kasia who got cured by drinking 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil every morning.
  18. Katarzyna

you won't fool me again :) :wink:
  19. Egoist

Egoist Member

Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of Katarzyna's life.
  20. Katarzyna

:lol: :lol: :lol: