Frame? left hand "pain"..

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Katarzyna, Oct 10, 2005.

1. lynn

lynn New Member

Kat - how's the icing thing going?? hope you're back to your normal self??

egoist - unfortunately, ppl are prone to gossip!! btw, a family friend told us that ever since she switched to brown rice - her back pain never come back so i wonder about the olive oil story....

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I haven't been home early enough to ice it.. It still feels funny. I am trying to forget about it till after Atlanta. Then I will decide to worry about it or not if the feeling doesn't go away...

3. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

Why did your coach tell you to switch your fingers?

4. Katarzyna

He said something along the lines of the index finger isn't very pretty, the middle finger is a lot better looking.. etc :)

5. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I thought you said you used to do middle finger and now you do index because you were told to change. At least that's what your post on p.2 seems to be saying...

Anyways, do you have a female coach? Why not ask her - she'd know much better what is more comfortable instead of the male perspective of what is "pretty". IMO, that's a pretty silly reason to change something that seems to be working and not hurting to something that potentially injured you. If he had another reason for you to change it, then OK but changing it because it "isn't very pretty" seems kinda... well, silly. Kinda reminds me of men who want their wives or girlfriends to get plastic surgery because it would look better...

6. Katarzyna

Hold with index finger so it' snot visible.. that's what I was trying to say... I changed it quite a few months ago so I don't think it could potentially cause injury. My coaches are a dancing couple and both seem to be on the same page...

7. flexi

flexi Member

Generally anyone that had any lessons in Ballet would undersatnd the reason for the middle finger and thumb hold.. When you take lessons on how to hold the hands and fingers they always teach the idea of "holding and egg" between the middle finger and the thumb, this allows for a nice line and look for the hand and fingers..

Also in studies in martial arts..they always teach you when grabbing hold that the last three fingers are the strongest for holding for an extended time ( middle ring and pinky fingers) by design the pointing finger is the most flexible, but weakest..

Alst but not least, of all the possible fingers to have outstreaced.. the worst on a dance floor would be the middle finger..
    Just suppose you have a picture where your middle finger by contrast just seemes to somehow be the ONLY ONE extended in comparison the all of the others... You wouldn't want a judge to get the wrong idea would you??

Just reminds me, .. ever see someone pick their nose with their middle finger on the subway lol!!

8. Katarzyna

So you disagree with the middle finger and index finger hold... oh well. I just do what my coaches tell me... The ones I trust most ...

9. flexi

flexi Member

Anyway O doubt that a change of fingers has anything to do with a arm hurting...
    I would think changing how you dance, your head relatively to your body and moving direction etc would have a lot more to do with it..

When somethig is new, people tend to manufacture things for a while, using all sorts of unnessisay muscles etc to make a change, after awhile you find simplerways to achive the same results....

10. Katarzyna

I think it's from the tango hold, and tension.. The finger discussion was just a little side note..

11. flexi

flexi Member

I think that a positive "push" connection is what's needed opposed to a pull connection..

Pull connection tends to make things slow, heavy, tense etc..
    whereas, a push connection makes things lighter, quicker, more responsive, relaxed...

I know when guys tense up in tango, and start pulling , the first thing you see is the man's right sholder popping up as he pulls....

If you see your oun sholder popping up, check and see if your pulling with your arms and back..

12. Katarzyna

Actually, what you are mentioning is exactly what caused the pain. By creating push connection, my arm has a lot more tension than by pull connection (or lack of connection)....

13. Kitty

Kitty New Member

so you are pushing into his shoulder with your palm?

ois that the push connection? is that when it hurts?

14. Katarzyna

talking about tango... so not into the shoulder...

15. flexi

flexi Member

push connection I'm talking about is keeping the circle foward..
    sholders, arms hands ... everything,,...

Or simply put.. keeping the circle in front of the spine.
    Whenver the circle goes behing the spine, you get breaks in sholder/back/arm lines.

Even in a situation where there is a pulling energy... you still have to maintain a "positive circle in front of spine" (push connection)

the same is true in latin dances.. and gerenally easier to visually see..

16. Katarzyna

Thank you for clarifying. I know what you had in mind. I have a feeling I've been doing too much of the push connection, and thus creating tension... but I did that to protect from my partner trying to twist me inside the frame. We've been dancing with A LOT more tension but also energy lately...

17. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I'd agree with you for basics... but it would appear than an elbow behind your back is not considered a sin in contemporary latin styling

18. flexi

flexi Member

positive weight foward, circle in front of spine (offset), push, dynamic tention connection..

think cha-cha swivels... connection..

19. Katarzyna

tough when you think of fram as pretection rather than connection.. at least in tango.

20. Kitty

Kitty New Member

arms in front and circle thing means push connection? so the pull connection is defined as having elbows behind back?