Franchise Experiences

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by SDsalsaguy, Jul 20, 2003.

1. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

Do you mean....$130...FOR ONE LESSON?????

Gosh - I feel sorry for you lovely folks in America! It makes our lesson cost seem like small change!

2. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

More like $60-$70 for a 50 minute lesson. Not sure about costs at franchises and the $60-$70 rate is not for a "top pro".

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Lessons at franchises cost quite a bit more but,, unless I misunderstood, the $130 price tag was the loaded cost of privates, when "'included" "free" group lessons and parties are figured in.

4. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

ahhhh Im glad to hear it - because $130 is astronomical! We pay $60 for a one hour private lesson - and that is with a teacher that has been a professional champ herself in our country.

The teachers over here are all ex dancers - no trainee teachers like I have been reading about here! The market here is too small I think.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

And probably a lot better informed about ballroom dance, overall.

6. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Going rate in my area is $80-90/45 minutes for a U.S. finalist/semifinalist. :)

Or a trainee...
    Sometimes even more... :razz:

7. katelyn

katelyn New Member

At my Arthur Murray it's $100 for a lesson which are 45 minutes regardless of your teacher, we have some amazing teachers with 20 plus years experience but you would pay the same amount for a teacher who literally only started dancing 5 years ago.

That's comparable to in the same city (a large city in Canada) for a top teacher in the city for about 75$.

It's insane, but I couldn't leave my teacher

8. katelyn

katelyn New Member

Well truly a group of us are really close and he told us one night while we were having dinner together, he had a bit too much wine lol but it's not like that at all, he tells us all the time how he's unhappy but if and when he leaves he will still teach us, even if it means renting floor space somewhere else.

9. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Be careful . . . spidey senses are tingling!

10. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Similar here. I go to a FADS studio in a suburb of NYC and the going rate RIGHT NOW (they increase all the time) is $106/40 min. Some of the teachers are remarkable with many years experience and expertise and other have not even been dancing, let alone professional, for very long.

But loyalty to one's teacher is what makes you stay... *shrug*

11. TangoRocks

TangoRocks Member

Exactly, that's why I worded it as "if you only took privates and never went to a group or party"--in hindsight, I should have said the "complimentary" groups/parties. If you take enough groups/parties (which, at indy studios around here, are separately priced/charged) you CAN make a franchise studio dance unit cost approach that of an indy--when I first started, I went to every single party, group (at my level and one below my level) that I could, and those days I was getting a LOT better bang for my buck than today, starting up Silver and missing multiple groups/parties due to lack of motivation on my side and the deterioration of the studio offering on the franchise's side.

12. TangoRocks

TangoRocks Member

Wow, I am in Canada too--how are you calculating the $100? I just took the "semester" price and divided by 26 to get the ~$130--of course, again, this is assuming you ONLY do privates (there are a few people at the studio who do that) AM does not really give out individual lesson prices for privates/groups/parties, or at least not at the franchise location I am familiar with, so I was curious if you were at a studio with a different pricing scheme than mine.

Also, it's great you have multiple teachers with over 20 years experience (teaching), I wish we had that... Apart from the owners and one male instructor, the rest of teaching staff has less than 2 years experience, let alone 20!

13. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

You see, I just do not understand how someone with less than 2 years experience can teach? I have been dancing longer than that myself!

I trust my teachers word as law because she has been dancing for over 30 years and competed professionally herself. (Latin)

And my standard teacher too was a professional and competed at Blackpool.

The prices most of you are quoting are high enough to start with, let alone with an unexperienced teacher!

We pay $60 for 1 hour pivate Latin.
    $45 for 45 minute private standard.
    $20 a week for competitors practice night (comp simulation where we dance rounds)
    $12 a week for Latin Technique class.

So it costs us a grand total of $137 a week, spilt between the two of us. So its less than $70 a week each.

If I had to pay the prices you guys do - I couldnt afford to dance.

14. katelyn

katelyn New Member

I guess this proves how corrupt my studio is, when I first started it did come to about 130$ per private but someone along the way must have made a mistake when billing me and they never changed it. They made a comment like "oh you have the discounted price" I went along with it and now I'm saving a bit of money. But it just goes to show you that the prices for a lot of things just come out of their asses.

15. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention that this does NOT include group lessons or practice parties... or anything else for that matter. This is solely the private lesson price.

16. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Many times I hear rank beginners actually discussing their teachers, discussing their abilities (he's a great teacher), their enjoyment of the teacher (he makes it so much fun and I'm learning so much) or their 'attachment' to the teacher (I dunno, I'd feel terrible if I left him).

NONE of these people have any way to know if that teacher is any good and none of these folks have any idea what they should really expect in the teacher relationship... that's why so many students wind up in bizarre and needy situations in franchise and even in indie classes. Without any idea of what a student who 'knows the scene' pays and gets, students use what they think is common sense, comparing apples and oranges and making decisions the same way they would when buying a dress or even a car. This does not work in dance education (or any arts education).

Not understanding the student's real needs (even if their real need is for a refuge from their busy day) puts them in the vulnerable position of getting a newbie dancer/instructor since they assume that they can infer more knowledge than them equals potential gain - so many times the student says 'he knows more than me so he can therefore teach me'. At that point they have lost the game...

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

agree...which is why I hope that df performs a valuable service in helping some to have a more accurate grasp sooner rather than later

18. Teaching with less than 2 years' experience? Try 6 weeks' experience. Thus the name "6-week wonder"...

(and yes, the franchise studios charge the full $130 per lesson for a lesson with a brand new 6-week wonder as for a teacher that has taught at the school for more than 5 years... because, as the instructors like to constantly reiterate over and over again, they are all "certified professionals".)

19. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

Good points here - sorry I do not mean to come across as rude - but how does this relate to my comment that you have quoted at the top? :)

20. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

Certified professionals??? In 6 weeks? 'Gag'

Sounds like a rip off to me! Plain and simple.

All the studios here are what you would call 'independants'.

NO ONE charges that sort of money.

The only time someone pays that sort of money is when we get visiting pros from overseas - we are talking top pros here! We then might pay $120/$130 USD for a lesson with them.

I dont know of a single teacher/instructor in my city who wasnt a dancer themselves long before they started to teach. They were all either top Amatuers who turned pro to teach or former competitive professionals who retired from competition to teach.

The only one who did not compete herself did still dance. She went to a school for teachers in England and studied for years to be certified to teach, her sons were top competitive dancers (one married Karen Hardy), she trained Brendon Cole, and she currently shares the training of another couple with my teacher, who recently won an Australasian Latin Title in the Junior Age group.

These are the calibre of teachers that we are lucky enough to benefit from.

Do any of you feel that those in experienced teachers are negatively influencing dancesport in your area? OR do they still manage to turn out some decent dancers?