Franchise Experiences

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by SDsalsaguy, Jul 20, 2003.

1. dreamalways

dreamalways New Member

I agree that your coach is being good and honest with you. I believe my situation is calling me to change directions and do things differently this coming year. Thanks for the feedback.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Good luck dreamalways. Let us know how things go for you. 8) :)

3. dreamalways

dreamalways New Member

I will let you know, in the meantime I am going to do a LOT of reading here in dance-forums. So much good reading and helpful information I'm finding here.

Good luck to you too pygmalion.
    :D

4. pygmalion

:D :D :D Thanks, and it's Jenn, to my friends. :wink: 8)

5. pygmalion

Oh yeah, and one thing I forgot, dreamalways. The website is not complete, just yet, but once it gets up, I suggest you take a look at dancesportcomps.com They have a state by state listing of dance competitions, so you can plan your own agenda without being dependent on a dance pro to tell you what's coming to your area.

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Also keep in mind that most independent comps have their own websites which do include pricing information... which makes it really easy to see for yourself exactly what expenses are entailed. :wink:

7. pygmalion

True. Many do provide information, and some lock out lowly non-pros. Who knows why the promoters make these decisions.*shrug* Either way, I've found dancesportcomps.com very helpful because it usually has the web sites and contact information of the independent comps listed, and you can go get the information for yourself.

8. pygmalion

Just to not get topics scrambled, I'm going to post more stuff on getting independent comp information in the "How do comps work" thread. Then we can leave this thread for people to discuss strictly franchise related stuff. Okay? :?

9. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

A number of people have mentioned that they only recently started dancing and had questions about costs and options, so I thought I'd try to resurrect this thread!

Cheers,

Genesius

10. pygmalion

This is a good, but controversial, thread, GR. People (myself included :oops: :lol: ) tend to be passionately on one side of the argument or the other.

11. twodance

twodance New Member

Ok. The AMI studios are broken down into 6 regions. Each region can have it's own dance o rama. These are usually organized by the franchisse's. These cannot be more than 3 days long. The wholesale cost changes because of the venue. But an average of $500.00 -$900.00 p.p. is about right. Then each studio puts their markup on the package. This is to cover the cost of teachers package and loss of teaching time. Each studio can markup as much as they want since every studio is independantly owned and operated. Arthur Murray International does not own any studios. :wink: Each owner simply pays a fee to use the Arthur Murray name. The AMI superrama is put on by AMI. and is without a doubt one of the best run competitions I have attended ( and I usually attend around 15 a year). These tend to be almost a week long if you get the earky arrival package. Because the dance o rama's are a closed event ie. only open to AM students you will not be able to get a price list from AMI. But their is no reason you shouldn't be able to see the wholesale price from AMI that your franchissee has. This way you see if you are getting a fair price or paying too much. At my studio my students see the wholesale list on packages and entries. They know how much of a pro fee I charge and all of this is printed out for them for each comp. we attend.

12. twodance

twodance New Member

Now on the pro side of things. If you showed up at work and your boss told you that you had to go out of town for a week and you had to pay for your own airfare, hotel, food and misc. costs. Then told you he was not going to pay you since you would be out for the week. Would you go?When we attend a competition with our students our studio is closed. So we charge pro fee for being there with our students. Just like any job. But I have seen a lot of people abuse this fee to the extreme. Since the lessons we teach are regulated by the FTC there are rules. But on competition cost there are no rules hence the abuse. People spending 4-5 times more than they should be. Just a look at Dancesport comps.com, Dancesportsuperbowl.com to name a couple gives you the links to every competition in the U.S. Most of these have the price list on their web sites. If the pricew you are paying seems too much, do some research !!

13. pygmalion

Yes, twodance!

I think a lot of people lose sight of the fact that they're on a dance lesson/session/comp, but their teacher is working.

14. SDsalsaguy

This can be hard to keep track of when some instructors take a brand new studnet to an event, leave them in the hotel room, and go off to spend hours and hours socializing with their own friends. Certainly the vast majority of instructors do nothing of this sort, and certainly those few who do don't only come from the ranks of the franchises.

15. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

We have regular dance competition days, but you are competing against yourself because the scores are calculated according to how many lessons you've had. They are included in the price of private lessons so the day is actually free if you want to enter. I agree, they are more fun than anything else, but as I'm not really interested in competing at the moment, it's fine for me. For me all the elements are there, the opportunity to grade yourself, show off, control nerves, etc. Just not the overly competitive atmosphere.

There is also a yearly national competition, which they are in the midst of trying to get me to attend. As you have to pay your own way, there is no way I can justify $700 - $800 to go and maybe get a trophy out of it. Pretty expensive trophy!!! :shock: :wink: In the greater scheme of things, it really means nothing.

16. SDsalsaguy

You're right dancin_feet, that would be one mighty expensive trophy! :shock:

I, however, will be happy to sell you one for the bargain price of only $350! :D

17. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

Even that's a bit much for me at the moment, I'm afraid, but thanks for the offer! :wink: I may go next year, hopefully I'll be a bit more financial then.

18. SDsalsaguy

OK, just for you I'll make the special, only-if you-sign-up-today, offer of a trophy for the unherad of price of only $200!!!! :shock: :shock: :D :D

19. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

Foil and chocolate buddy, foil and chocolate!! :D :D

20. SDsalsaguy

Sorry d_f, but my chocolate covered coffee beans have long been promised to anothe DFite... :lol: