Fun Facts and Trivia Thread !!!

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Ray Sison, May 30, 2010.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Here we can post fun and interesting facts and trivia, and read and learn from them. Maybe it won’t prepare us for Jeopardy (or maybe it will!)—but hopefully it will add something new to your Dance Forums experience…

Let’s start with: Who was the only U.S. president to serve two non-consecutive terms? (He also had the youngest First Lady!)

Grover Cleveland, the 22nd AND 24th President of the United States. He entered the White House as a bachelor, but in not too long he married Frances Folsom—who, at 21 years old, was the youngest First Lady in American History.

Since he is both the 22nd and 24th President, he will appear on two separate dollar coins in 2012...
  2. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

Very cool idea! Here’s one I heard recently: Is ‘French vanilla’ really vanilla?

It’s NOT really vanilla! Wikipedia says 'the term French vanilla is not a type of vanilla, but is often used to designate preparations that have a strong vanilla aroma, and contain vanilla grains. The name originates from the French style of making ice cream custard base with vanilla pods, cream, and egg yolks… Alternatively, French vanilla is taken to refer to a vanilla-custard flavor.'

Thanks, Ray! I will come up with some more, and challenge you and others do the same!
  3. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

What is the difference between a porpoise and a dolphin? *long answer, so hopefully I don't bore you!* :)

"Dolphin" usually refers to the specific group of small, toothed cetaceans in the family Delphinidae. There are over 30 species of true dolphins, including familiar species like the bottlenose, spinner, and spotted dolphins. Although the largest members of this group are commonly called whales because of their size, they are actually most closely related to other dolphins. The large dolphins include killer whales and pilot whales.

"Porpoise" refers to six species in the family Phocoenidae. All porpoises are relatively small by cetacean standards, measuring 7 feet (2 meters) or less as adults.

The notable differences between dolphins and porpoises are these:

Dolphins:
    Always have cone-shaped teeth
    Usually have a beak
    Usually have a hooked or curved dorsal fin (some have no dorsal fin)

Porpoise:
    Always have spade-shaped teeth
    Never have a beak
    Usually have a dorsal fin shaped like a triangle (some have no dorsal fin)

I found this at answers . yahoo . com / question / index?qid=20061030161011AAu0qkJ

Thanks for your patience!

Love, Amanda
  4. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

We know Mambo as a dance...

In Haiti a Mambo is the term for a voodoo priestess.
  5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Amanda and Spitfire, thanks! I already learned a bunch of new things here!

I got the idea for this new thread partially from Spitfire's fun facts about Winslow Arizona in the "Travel Destinations and Memories Thread".

To Spitfire: :cheers:

I also just plain love this stuff!!! :bouncy:
  6. Spitfire

Al Capone, often associated with the Mafia was not a member of such and his gang was an ethnic mix rather than being made up of only members of Italian background.

Adolf Hitler is actually rumored to have had some jewish blood.
  7. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

Spitfire those are both very interesting! :)
  8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Some Random Australian Fun Facts

Apparently the first European settlers in Australia drank more alcohol per person than any other community in the history of mankind.

Australian mines (one of our most important industries, which accounts for 15% of Australia's GDP) cover 0.02% of Australia's land mass. More land is occupied by pubs.

In 1954 Bob Hawke made it into the Guinness Record Book: he sculled 2.5 pints of beer in 11 seconds. Bob Hawke went on to become the Prime Minister of Australia.

Australia has the world's largest population of wild camels with one hump.

The Tasmanian Devil does exist, and it has the jaw strength of a crocodile.

There are more than 150 million sheep in Australia, and only some 20 million people.

No part of Australia is more than 1000 km from the ocean and a beach. (The point in the world that's the furthest from any ocean would be in China.)

Australia has the world's largest cattle station (ranch). At 30,028 km2 it is almost the same size as Belgium.

Population density in Australia is usually calculated in km2 per person, not people per km2.

Australians have 380,000 m2 per person available. Yet well over 90% are cramming into the coastal cities (rather than the Outback).

They call Australian's from Queensland "banana benders", and people from Western Australia "sandgropers".

Tasmania has the cleanest air in the world.

The Great Barrier Reef has a mailbox. You can ferry out there and send a postcard, stamped with the only Great Barrier Reef stamp.

The Australian Alps, or Snowy Mountains as they are also known, receive more snow than Switzerland.

Melbourne has the second largest Greek population in the world, after Athens.

Source: http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/fun-facts-about-australia.html
  9. Spitfire

From the music world; getting back to the Eagles - one time Don Henley and Glen Frey were in a restaurant with some other people where they noticed this very beautiful young woman sitting at a table with a much older man. Glen Frey remarked "look at those lyin' eyes" and thus the song by that name.

The Iron Butterfly; one of the big bands from the 60's. Doug Ingle, the leader had finished writing a new song when he was asked by one of the other members what the name of the song was which was In The Garden Of Eden, but he was quite wasted at the time and when he answered it came out sounding more like In A Gadda Da Vida and they decided that was a great title for what was their greatest hit.
  10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Spitfire, I love stories about what inspired certain songs! :cheers:
  11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Love it!!! Always wondered what the heck that song was about.

[singing]In a gadda da vida, honey! Don't you know that I lo-ove you-ou. I a gadda da vida baby! Don't you know that I'll always be true![/end]

Love it! :-D
  12. Spitfire

Alice Cooper is suppose to have taken that name when he discovered from using an Ouija board or a seance that he was the reincarnation of a 17th century witch by that name.
  13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Wow!
  14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

The very center of the continental United States (or the 48 mainland states) is just north of Lebanon, Kansas. But the geographical center of all of the 50 states is Butte County South Dakota...

Also: What is the other name for Napoleon’s greatest victory, the Battle of Austerlitz?

The Battle of the Three Emperors, since it had the Emperor of France fighting the Emperor of Russia and the Emperor of Austria on that battlefield. Talk about hands-on leadership!
  15. Spitfire

Heard of Austerlitz, but didn't know about the other name.
  16. style

style New Member

111111111x111111111=123456789987654321
  17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

style, that's very impressive! Very! :)
  18. Spitfire

Those long thin curly noodles that are a part of oriental food, known by different names. In Korea it's called Ramen. Legend has it that when Marco Polo returned to Italy from China he brought back some of this and that's how spaghetti is suppose to have originated.

And, according to some scholars the Marco Polo story is a myth, that he never actually made it to China and much of what he learned was from Arab travelers to those regions.
  19. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

In 1952, Albert Einstein was offered the Presidency of which country, as a result of his beliefs?

Israel! He turned it down though. The order of the universe that he observed in his scientific studies was proof to him that God existed. He was also a pacifist, publishing a book "Why War?".

Source: http://www.funtrivia.com/en/People/Albert-Einstein-6876.html
  20. style

style New Member

I got a million facts but they are mostly related to ice climbing and construction. Some are not fit to print here, but most are.

Here is one that deals with ice climbing.
    Never go on a trip with people shorter then you. For two reasons; 1. They don't have the reach you do when you set protection. They can't reach it. hence alot of bitching.
    2. Their steps are too short. When you are walking to the base of the mountain the person in front sets the length of the steps, so a tall person (me) has to shorten their steps. It is very hard when you are carrying 80 pounds for 12 hours a day. Plus it takes longer.