funniest thing a coach has ever said about your dancing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 4, 2007.

1. dude

dude New Member

Instructor once said that during tango "you don't shake each other like an apple tree".
    TinyDancer109 and chomsky like this.
  2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I think a lot of couples need to hear this.
  3. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Last week: "When you think about your frame, your footwork goes all to hell!"
  5. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

To my partner:

"Now, you've got to look up when you're walking towards him because there's no knowing where he's going to end up. He might be in somebody's ice bucket."

To me:

"No, not monkey hands!"

And another:

"You've got to dance up on your balls."

The instructor definitely did that deliberately. :p
    chomsky likes this.
  6. OreganO

OreganO Member

I've trained in classical ballet for a very long time so when I first started ballroom I was used to holding quite a bit of tension in my arms. It was at a point where my coach would come over at the beginning of the practice and have me take hold. On good days, my partner would hear, "She's tame today!" Luckily for everyone, I haven't been tested on my "tameness" for quite a while :)
    ajiboyet likes this.
  7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lately my pro has said to me " why do you dance shy in front of me, but you are all sexy behind my back"... LOL... this is when I was doing an alemana to ropespining... apparently I do alot behind his back as I am returning from the rope spin!
  8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

lol my wife says its because i only have one hand on her at that point and she feels freer .. girls always work it during those open walks LOL
    debmc likes this.
  9. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

My dance partner's face (i.e. the face he was making, not his features) were definitely compared to the studio's dog the other day.

Yep.
    Leon Theou likes this.
  10. XL_PT

XL_PT Member

Well...On my debut days as a 10-dancer, I had no idea how to stop or to avoid contact against another couple on Standard...and there was no training day without a couple being knocked away from "my" line of dance. My teacher on those days called it "Bulldozer Ballroom style".
    My current teacher was my partner on those days on learning and now, as a teacher, tells new students that I have a "Bowling Ballroom" way of dance...old habits never die, I guess...:D
  11. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

My partner and I call it "battle ballroom" usually said in a deep and menacing voice :)
    XL_PT likes this.
  12. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I used to know of an area couple who were frequently referred to as "The Unguided Missile" due to their utter lack of anything resembling floorcraft. They were fun to watch on an empty floor, but if they decided to launch into their comp waltz routine on a Friday night, it was up to the men to save the women and children... they turned the floor into a human pinball machine. I shouldn't speak too ill of them because the man has since passed away and he really was a good guy, but on the floor they were sometimes downright hazardous, to the point that the studio's instructors had to warn new students to watch out for them.
    ajiboyet likes this.
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my pro is possibly one of the most gifted people at floor craft that I have ever seen... so I rarely worry about these things, however...when we are practicing side by side, there are occasionally gentlemen who are practicing to whom I have to pay great attention ...or face a strong likelihood of getting clipped....but ya know, once it has happened half a dozen times, you learn to be vigilant :)
  14. XL_PT

XL_PT Member

Well, I have improved floorcraft...and "bowling ballroom" style of dance is just a "warning" to new students. Last thursday I was "ran over" by a couple that usually can move swiftly and nicely on the floor :)

Having some couples like that can be an advantage: The best couples have to learn how to avoid "unguided missiles" and even to hold a strong impact if being hit by them...;)
    Gorme likes this.
  15. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

We call it "full-contact ballroom dancing" at my studio. And then we chest bump.
    Miss Silly, frotes and llamasarefuzzy like this.
  16. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

Ours is "ballroom blitz", a nickname we have given one particular gentleman who has zero floorcraft skills.
  17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

oddly, we are far more dangerous between the two of us than in relationship to anyone else, people don't even bat an eyelash at my pro and he deliberately dances up to them...as to chest bumping; I would say that we that to one another pretty hard at least once a lesson
  18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

lol yep be the immovable object
    XL_PT likes this.
  19. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

On the topic of floorcraft, my teacher used to try to improve my floorcraft by repeating "spacial awareness, Nonie" over and over as we danced. On one particularly crowded day, he gave me a long lecture about how I really need to take notice of the people around me; immediately afterwards, he proceeded to have a fabulously epic collision with another couple during side by side turns... it was amazing.

It should be noted that my spacial awareness has gotten infinitely better (practicing 99% of the time alone does that)... I am still amused whenever I think of that day though. "Blah blah blah spacial awareness".... BOOM!!! It was the best.
    ajiboyet and chomsky like this.
  20. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

there is a gentlemen at my studio who is uncanny in his ability to block me, regardless of where we start relative to each other on the floor. I've described this as his superpower.
    chomsky likes this.