funniest thing a coach has ever said about your dancing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

there is a pro and his wife i dance against in pro am standard occasionally we once had a two couple final !!!and the dude still found me WTH!!!
    ajiboyet likes this.
  2. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I should also say, the guy I'm referring to, his blocking is purely unintentional.
  3. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I've had that once happen to me. My partner and I got hit by another couple and knocked a couple of feet away, but we maintained good frame and continue on with our movement as if nothing happened. The couple that hit us stopped dancing and looked at us in surprise.
    chomsky, Miss Silly and XL_PT like this.
  4. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I recently started taking Argentine just as a side 'fun' thing to do and during my lesson this week we were working on some kicking thingies [that's the official term, btw] that were getting a little dangerous because i wasn't keeping my thighs together. My teacher said, "Remember to keep your knees together!". I said, "yeah, my mom tells me that too....".... then he laughs and said that he used to make that joke to students as well, until his wife told him he probably should be more PC when teaching students. Bahahahha.
    chomsky likes this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

lmaoooooo you ARE miss silly ganchos?? boleos??
    Miss Silly likes this.
  6. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Yes! Thank you. I keep calling them boleros LOL
  7. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

While dancing pivots my coach said (loudly) "Give me head!" in an attempt to remind me to have proper head position. I had to stop dancing I was laughing so hard.
    chomsky and Miss Silly like this.
  8. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Awkward...
    chomsky likes this.
  9. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

This would have stopped me in my tracks too.... And much laughing would have ensued...:D
    chomsky likes this.
  10. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was absolutely hysterical with laughter... He was like, "Noooooooo!!"
    ajiboyet likes this.
  11. Mr 4 styles

an understandable error..:)
    chomsky and Miss Silly like this.
  12. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

So, here's one from the other day. My instructor is dancing a tango with me to illustrate a point and I'm messing up some steps and catching up, because he's just changed our routine so that the second wall starts the same as the first and the temptation to lapse into the first wall after the first figure is great.

He says "Olga, do you ever follow me or are you programmed? Are you like the Predator where they program in the code?" (pretends to type in code on my forearm)
    chomsky and stash like this.
  13. BD4L

BD4L Member

I just have to chime in here. In a Latin lesson several years ago we were working on a section where my partner and I would do voltas around each other in a small circle. After the second time dancing the steps my coach stopped me and asked what I was thinking about when doing that step. I had recently had another about absorbing action through the midsection in Samba so I told my coach I was thinking about 'rolling through the midsection'. He responded that the proper answer was my partner and that I should focus on her when dancing with her. About five minutes later while still working on the same step he stopped me and said. I need more 'roll....' then stopped with this deer in the headlights look in his eyes. While I finished his sentence 'rolling through the midsection'. It took several minutes before any of us could stop laughing.
    Sania and SwayWithMe like this.
  14. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I can't stop laughing! You guys are AWESOME!!!
  15. LT

LT Member

The first time I danced pro/am standard... after we finished our events my coach looked at me and said something like, "I have no idea what you were doing, you made up all of your own patterns..." So, I responded, "that makes it more fun, right?" ;-)
    latingal likes this.
  16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Showcase coach: "I want you to think about breaking your side. Maybe that will offset your inability to keep your shoulder down!"
  17. Sania

Sania Active Member

Kathryn to my former partner, not liking his tango posture (and with a laugh):? "Get off me, you brute!"

"Brute" came up from then on whenever his leads were too strong :)
  18. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I did that at Emerald. My pro says that we'll have to do something about that in the future.
    LT likes this.
  19. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Said with some moderate frustration in the voice: "Would you just... stop trying?!"

Which promptly caused both me and a few other couples in the studio to burst out laughing.
    NonieS and latingal like this.
  20. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

We were working on our standard (which is something we're just mega struggling with in general LOL) and our coach looked like he was getting a bit frustrated that we couldn't maintain a decent frame. He gets us to stand in position and then proceeds to go around and position our bodies like he's adjusting storefront mannequins.... raising this, pushing that down, tilting this... etc.

Finally he's satisfied and stands back and says, "Wow. You guys look like great dancers as long as you don't move."

BAHAHAh. He has a good sense of humour so i didn't take offense (even though there is some truth to that statement LOL).
    chomsky, samina, ajiboyet and 2 others like this.